Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand, it's a problem with the supply from Alabama Power. I'm sure Tesla is coordinating with them in attempt to resolve the problem but anyone who lives in the area knows Alabama Power takes their sweet time resolving non-crucial (to them) problems. This is the company that not only doesn't offer net metering but actually charges you a monthly per KW fee for grid-tied solar installations.

[TL;DR: Chargers were working on 1/29/17]

Despite the fact that they were listed as "Temporarily Closed" on the Tesla Navigation system, I was in the area and decided to see for myself.

I let it charge for about 10 minutes just to see is there was any problem and they were working fine.

There are plenty of checkins on PlugShare over the last few weeks that corroborate this.

Well, last night (Sunday Jan 29) we took the chance and drove to Birmingham to meet friends, and would need a charge to return to Montgomery. After driving around a couple of parking lots and not finding the charger, we looked at the nav map again and saw we were on the wrong side of the complex. Drove around, then found them easily. No one else there. Is that a bad sign, I thought? Deep breath, plug in, and...success! We headed out for Octane after the charge rate passed 275 mph and was still climbing.

Tesla nav says it is still down, but not for us. What a nice area, too.

The superchargers are in the valet parking area of the lot, and I think that's a good thing. The area was hopping last night, and all 4 parking areas we saw were 99% full. If the SCs had been in an open area, that would probably have encouraged icing.

Access getting around the streets in the area just a bit awkward, but not too bad. Folks at Octane were friendly and welcoming, looks like a number of good places to eat.

After driving around a couple of parking lots and not finding the charger, we looked at the nav map again and saw we were on the wrong side of the complex.

Indeed. The Tesla Nav incorrectly routes you to the valet entrance (which needs a keycard for entry!), so you hafta work your way around to the other side of the lot to get in and access the chargers.

Reactions: N4HHE
Indeed. The Tesla Nav incorrectly routes you to the valet entrance (which needs a keycard for entry!), so you hafta work your way around to the other side of the lot to get in and access the chargers.

If coming from the west one gets routed to the correct ecpntrance. But if from east one is delivered to the gate only valet drivers have passkey.

Took a risk tonight no matter in-car navigation insists the site is "temporarily" out of order and would not normally route me via. With 116 miles in my battery charging started at 88 kW and seemed to properly add another 100 miles. Rate was 50 kW at 184 miles.

I charged there a few days ago and it was working normally. I assume that Tesla is keeping it on the not trustworthy list either because they're still seeing low charge rates or don't yet have assurance that the previous problems won't reappear in the near future.

If it is ok, I would like to pass along that a Tesla salesperson at the Brentwood TN showroom said that a supercharger for Athens, AL was in the works. I am willing to investigate building permits if someone could tell me who I would need to call.
A Tesla rep was also in Huntsville this past week to scope for a possible supercharger here.
This info was told to me by a friend that just bought a Tesla.

Thank you for that very hopeful first post and welcome. I think Huntsville would be full of Tesla fans and surprised it has taken so long to fill that gap.

But the point is not to serve locales "full of Tesla fans" but to facitate travel through.

The original plans were for something in a new shopping center to be built at I-65/I-565 but that's not going to be built anytime in the foreseeable future. I've always said Athens was a better site with more choices to locate a supercharger and existing restaurants, and closer to I-65 for those traveling north/south.

Reactions: CSFTN
I'm from this area. The Athens Ruby Tuesday has a perfect location (34.785991, -86.941992) which I pointed out to Tesla over a year ago. I'll call the Athens Building Permit department tomorrow and see if any permits have been applied for. BTW, as high tech this area is I think there are only about 4 Tesla's. I have only had three actual sightings since late 2014.

Behind McDonalds & Wendys is pretty good too. SubWay to the west. Cross the big street and Cracker Barrel and Lawkers BBQ.

There is an OTR truck parking lot behind McDonalds and another between Hardee's and Ruby Tuesday on the west side of I-65.

Back to the main topic in this thread ... any locals keeping an eye out to see if the power company is running new power supply here, or doing any work at/near the site? Where is the closest high voltage feed? Does Birmingham have any local power plants, or is it all coming from a distance? I think by Memorial Day this location becomes key for a large population heading to Gulf Coast.

Just an FYI... Parking is no longer free unless you validate at a restaurant, etc. There's now a sign at the entrance that says Tesla owners are subject to parking fees.

Also, it seems all stalls are running at 50kW max.

The good news is that once all of the new AL chargers in place, it'll be easier to skip the Birmingham charger on some routes.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Sadly kind of par for AL. There are some really great people in AL (and some truly fantastic restaurants) but overall it ranks at the bottom of too many key metrics (or top of the not so good ones). It'd really be great to see some folks get in there and make some really great decisions. The last time we charged we only needed enough to get to the charger in Huntsville and the guard who let us out was exceptionally nice (and we'd gotten some drinks @ Octane anyway) so worked out for us. Sorry for future users.

Sadly kind of par for AL. There are some really great people in AL (and some truly fantastic restaurants) but overall it ranks at the bottom of too many key metrics (or top of the not so good ones). It'd really be great to see some folks get in there and make some really great decisions.
Agreed. I'd really like to see a solar access law passed in AL but I'm not holding my breath.