Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I mean Decatur/Athens is an east/west waypoint while Cullman is not. We have a lot coming through Huntsville/Decatur/Athens headed to Memphis and Mississippi.
Sorry. Guess I read it backwards. We did in fact travel to Hunstville last summer, and traversed Decatur/Athens from Memphis. Wife wouldn't let us go by Tesla, as the charging stations en route seemed unreliable. So, I guess I am agreeing with you.

Reactions: N4HHE
In the Sulfur Springs TX thread, Chris TX posted:

Has anyone checked the Applebee's at 5050 Academy Ln, Bessemer, AL 35022? ;)

Anyone able to drive past there and see if he is on to something?

That location was just based on a literal positioning of the 2016 pin on the supercharger map and finding a business in the vicinity with a history of hosting superchargers. I don't think the 2016 pins are actually accurate enough to pinpoint a location.

HI all, I travel I20 from Atlanta and I65 quite often so I am interested in Alabama locations.

I am wondering if there was originally a SC location slated for the 65/565 intersection near Decatur, (where the huge Bass Pro development was to be) but those plans had to be round-filed due to the lawsuit that is going on? (Nothing speeds up things like a lawsuit) Any thoughts?

I agree that Bham is an interesting case, because of how the roads intersect. The "loop" only goes halfway around the city, and then you have 22 coming in now and complicating things...

In any case, the only thing keeping me from reserving a model 3 is the lack of a SC around Birmingham. When one is placed there, I can easily travel the places off of 65 that I need to without having to worry about Nissan Dealerships and slow J-Plugs.

I am wondering if there was originally a SC location slated for the 65/565 intersection near Decatur, (where the huge Bass Pro development was to be) but those plans had to be round-filed due to the lawsuit that is going on? (Nothing speeds up things like a lawsuit) Any thoughts?

I think Tesla is going to have to accept Athens, AL. The intersection of US-72 and I-65 has plenty of opportunities, Wendy's, McDonalds, Cracker Barrel. Easy on/off. Its just off the preferred route from Chattanooga to Memphis. But perfect as perfect can be for Nashville to Birmingham.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I think Tesla is going to have to accept Athens, AL. The intersection of US-72 and I-65 has plenty of opportunities, Wendy's, McDonalds, Cracker Barrel. Easy on/off. Its just off the preferred route from Chattanooga to Memphis. But perfect as perfect can be for Nashville to Birmingham.

Google maps suggest that it's fastest to take the Interstate from Chattanooga, TN to Memphis, TN. You might want to let Tesla know that if you have local knowledge that people would normally take a different route.

Anyway, I think that the placement in that area depends on how Tesla approaches Birmingham, AL. That's a sprawling area with multiple Interstates.
Meridian, MS to Birmingham, AL is 140-odd miles.
Birmingham, AL to Atlanta, GA is a little over 150 miles.
So, they'd need something between. That could then affect how they cover travel between I-20 and I-65, and that might mean they'd need to put the Supercharger near Decatur instead.

I drove from Memphis to Florida 2 days ago; took the ICE as my wife wasn't willing to push the limits. We did stay at the Hampton Inn in Greenville, Al, for the sake of a SuC trial run (a bit moldy but otherwise good). Point of this topic: there's a Flying J immediately south of the intersection of I-22 and I-65. There's even a NG refilling station there. It would be a very good location for a SuC. But, if I was a betting man, I would bet it will be in Hoover, at the junction of I-65 and I-459, convenient to I-20 and US-31. Near Benton Nissan, at which we also stopped, and Rivercahse Galleria. The Chademo was in fact working (apparently, couldn't test) and readily available at 10 PM.

The lack of superchargers in the Birmingham-Huntsville-Memphis region surprises me. There is plenty of wealth in between Birmingham and Huntsville, and the presence of SC would definitely result in more Tesla sales in these areas. And being in Montgomery, I want to not have to stress about driving to north Alabama (let alone trying to get to Nashville) in my S. Reality is, I'm not going to drive from home through Chattanooga just to get to Nashville.......I would just drive the ICE car for that until SCs are available along I-65.

Cullman would "get by" but Birmingham is essential for covering East/West Atlanta/Meridian and North/South Franklin/Greenville. With a spur up to Memphis for extra credit.
The ability to drive south on I-65 from Nashville to Mobile would reduce the huge bypass through Atlanta. Going from Atlanta to Meridian on I-85 and US 80 isn't as big a hardship.Obviously you would need to drive on a slower road, but driving via Chattanooga and Atlanta is a huge increase in distance.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
The ability to drive south on I-65 from Nashville to Mobile would reduce the huge bypass through Atlanta.
+1 Bowling Green solved half of the I-65 charger desert for us, now we just need something south of Nashville. Someone mentioned to me the other day that the folks at Lynn Layton Nissan less Tesla friendly than they once were due to occasional "line-ups" of Teslas to use their charger.

Drove past Lynn Layton Nissan in Decatur one day recent when I believe they were closed. Several dealer trucks were strategically placed to block access to their CHAdeMO.

Can't really blame them as they probably get 100 Teslas for every LEAF. And few Nissan dealers bother with CHAdeMO at all.

• Informative
Reactions: ldgrmnmc
If you are going north or south on I65 between Mobile and Nashville, you have a 307 mile stretch without a supercharger. Needing to detour through Atlanta adds approximately 150 miles to that trip. What is needed for I65 travel is a supercharger somewhere near Cullman, Alabama.