Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now in Calgary, there's a 2019 Raven Model S for sale on Kijiji. This is obviously someone who isn't happy with their car. There's also a 2018 Model X, which is likely the same story. And I bought my winter tires from a guy who sold his Tesla because "It's great in the city, but doesn't work for long drives". (I had 25000 KMs on my car in 2 months at that point. It was news to me.)

There are a TON of people on TMC who have spouses who don't like the family's Tesla because of charging speeds. That's a flashpoint, but ultimately, it's a different car, and it's used in a different paradigm. Superchargers are nowhere close to the speed of a gas station. V3 chargers are faster, but they are not equal to gas, even in a LR 3.

My concern is that people buy a Tesla thinking it'll be the same, when it isn't and won't be. Superchargers won't change that.

I just care that people see "different", rather than "bad". And, I don't want people to buy a Tesla, and then be disappointed with it. If Chopper plans to drive 600kms between towns in the evening for Hockey, he's not going to like adding an hour to the night while he stops to charge. And that won't change until he can destination charge at every arena while the game is on. Which is many years away, realistically.

Investing in a Quick220, and using the UMC might be possible and might help for now. It should get 23-25 Km/hr charging if you can pull 16 amps across both circuits.
'Different' is how I see it. Most trips would run past a SC location and, personally I'd be prepared to add an hour to the trip. To me, the trade off is worth the savings. Destination charging isn't in my opinion.

I think it's just a combination of:
(1) Completing the TCH will be good for marketing and sales
(2) They are Supercharger Version 3, which is new, so Tesla is being cautious about opening them
(3) Winter is here so not likely the best time for sales, so Tesla won't be in a great hurry.
(4) They are covering a large distance, across many areas with low population, and mostly disconnected from the current network, so very few of the Superchargers add significant value by themselves.
Also, TMC members for the most part are not monitoring construction sites outside of North America. So it's really apples to oranges. For sure the v3 TCH build out is an anomaly but there are also 69 superchargers under construction in the US at the moment. And that's the only other country getting the same type of TMC scrutiny that Canada supercharger construction sites are getting.

Got an update from e-brandon that the Tesla testing vehicle was in Brandon last weekend.
We are currently in London, ON, and were hoping to take the TCH back to MB but guess it still isn't functional. Although at -22 there vs +2 here I have to ask WHY head back there at all? Baxter, then Bemidji (where I lost my J1772 adapter) and over overnight in Grand Forks and possibly up to the Best Western in Headingly/ Winnipeg for an overnight charge - unless Winnipeg SuC is working.

All those under construction is definitely an anomaly. Maybe something to do with permitting.View attachment 484281
Wow. That many in permits really sums up trying to get shlt done here in Canada. You wouldn’t believe the permits (and the insane timelines) I need to get shlt done, and I’m working IN the government!
And the permits you need change every six months so you can’t even count on getting the same permits on the next project to plan your schedule. I just add a year. Or two.

Would guess that Branfon is testing. Highest was 73 kw, but most were 60 kw and one we tested went red.
20191212_144452.jpg
20191212_144526.jpg

Was trying to test a theory about charge rates and cold batteries.

Looks like it might be TOO COLD for the charger in Brandon to work.
-27 C and it will not charge. Tried several pedestals except the one that was ICEd.
Guess that -30C rating is correct!
Wondering about the others in MB.View attachment 488139
Let's hope this is just an early stage glitch - if failing at that temperature becomes a common occurrence then these will be quite useless in much of Canada during the winter.

Reactions: DrinkMonkey
Might just be that they are all temporarily turned off. It might also just be the cold. I think MB, SK are probably the coldest places there are Teslas. Not sure if Norway gets this cold.

I just checked the other SuC posts for Whitewood, Portage and Winnipeg. None are working.
Of course it could also be that they shut down due to the cold, currently -24 C (-33 C wind chill), but I did not try the charger this afternoon. I think it was around -20 C or warmer, when I charged in Winnipeg, Portage and Brandon.

I agree with you.
The Whitewood post by @1.21 Jiggawatts says that one has been turned off.
There are fans or pumps in the units. One fan in the turned off unit in Brandon was making quite a bit of noise.
Possibly used for COOLING - LOL. Might also be liquid for cooling in the cable so it could be a pump.
I don't know much about them, but they are not static like most transformers.

Beat me to it!