Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brooklyn, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look like only this location “lucky one” for non-Tesla charging for entire NYC and around. Infrastructure is not ready for so many EVs. I heard about people with no charging stations at home buying Tesla in NYC. This is insane!!! View attachment 1009679View attachment 1009679
You also forgot to mention the only one without the need to pay to access the garage for charging.

Reactions: abalexab
So where are these people parking their EVs at night? If you are driving an EV, you're probably doing well enough to already be paying monthly parking at those places, so that takes care of the parking fee. If you are coming into NYC from across the bridge, maybe charge up before you go into NYC.

I did see something about NYC adding L2 charging on the sidewalk for the commoners.
Might seem odd / weird to non NYers, but NYC is an animal of its own (we also don't have a single Walmart in the city), but we park it in the street. A parking space was famously sold for a million here, just because we can buy Tesla does not mean we're millionaires. We also take an hour to travel just 10 miles (both by car or subway) unthinkable in other places. One may ask why bother with cars at all if it's so costly and no infrastructure for it when there's public transportation, but they also don't know how unreliable the public transportation here is. NYC is literally a s**thole, third world country standards, runned by clowns educating our next generation into clowns revoting for another clown, it's a doom cycle, yet somehow NYC is still here.

Reactions: Cuttin and abalexab
You forgot to mention - ALMOST ALL these location in NYC pay-per-park sites. As New Yorker (if you are) you should know. This increasing price of charge much higher than any gasoline car with full tank of gas. In Manhattan parking rate can be up to 20 USD per hour.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Revel Superhubs have a parking fee. They are not Superchargers, but they can serve both Teslas and non-Teslas alike. That said, I don't know how busy or accessible they are, but seems like a reasonable solution.

Reactions: Acps110
Might seem odd / weird to non NYers, but NYC is an animal of its own (we also don't have a single Walmart in the city), but we park it in the street. A parking space was famously sold for a million here, just because we can buy Tesla does not mean we're millionaires. We also take an hour to travel just 10 miles (both by car or subway) unthinkable in other places. One may ask why bother with cars at all if it's so costly and no infrastructure for it when there's public transportation, but they also don't know how unreliable the public transportation here is. NYC is literally a s**thole, third world country standards, runned by clowns educating our next generation into clowns revoting for another clown, it's a doom cycle, yet somehow NYC is still here.

Re: NY transit, yet somehow millions (?) of people use it every day. If you want to complain about NY public transit, you really should check out other towns and cities. Everyone thinks theirs is the worst in the world. I personally know of people in NYC who 1) use the subway to get around and do just fine and 2) non-millionaire but rent a parking spot for $450/mo for a vehicle that is used just on weekends. You must be in a different part by NYC. LOL

Reactions: Galve2000
So where are these people parking their EVs at night? If you are driving an EV, you're probably doing well enough to already be paying monthly parking at those places, so that takes care of the parking fee. If you are coming into NYC from across the bridge, maybe charge up before you go into NYC.

I did see something about NYC adding L2 charging on the sidewalk for the commoners.
I mean an EV doesn't cost much more than any car so you don't really have to be "well off". I park on the street every night and I see more and more Teslas to doing the same. As for L2 there are Flo chargers now but they are only in certain areas and way too little of them

Respectfully, I think you’re missing the point of the recent posts. The overwhelming majority of the stalls are taken by rented UBERs and TLC plates. The moral of the story if that they likely dont have anywhere to park/charge overnight, hence, they use the superchargers (which is something that’s in violation of Tesla TOS).

Similar problem in Chicago with the charging fiasco. Article below summarizes it well.

Lastly, I don’t know how many of you have been watching the superchargers in general in the city over the course of the past few days. They’re all getting slammed. Filled to capacity.

Article

Reactions: Cuttin
Respectfully, I think you’re missing the point of the recent posts. The overwhelming majority of the stalls are taken by rented UBERs and TLC plates. The moral of the story if that they likely dont have anywhere to park/charge overnight, hence, they use the superchargers (which is something that’s in violation of Tesla TOS).

That's true. Just saw a article about Revel Superhubs and how they are also slammed. Bottom line is that DCFC needs to catch up to demand.

But I can also understand the incentive to build only in paid parking structures... they can hit you with a 'cover charge'. On the flip side, this probably cuts down on risk of vandalism. I think it was the SuC at Buttonwillow, CA where I saw the plugs were spray painted green but it still charged fine... just saw an article/post saying that was some kind of anti-EV political statement. Who knew.

Last edited:
That's true. Just saw a article about Revel Superhubs and how they are also slammed. Bottom line is that DCFC needs to catch up to demand.

But I can also understand the incentive to build only in paid parking structures... they can hit you with a 'cover charge'. On the flip side, this probably cuts down on risk of vandalism. I think it was the SuC at Buttonwillow, CA where I saw the plugs were spray painted green but it still charged fine... just saw an article/post saying that was some kind of anti-EV political statement. Who knew.
There's probably also a big difference in security camera coverage. Anyone going into a parking garage pretty much would have to assume it's all on camera.

That’s very silly logic.

Teslas can be cheaper than comparable gasoline cars. Having a Tesla does not equate to wealth. Not even close. Yes maybe the model s or x as they are pricier but not the much much more common model 3 or y. Those cars with federal and state incentives as well as gasoline and maintained savings make them cheaper than a Honda accord for heavens sake.

I do agree. Having an ev without home charging doesn’t entirely make sense unless you do very very little driving.

In respect to nyc getting sidewalk chargers please see the overall feelings about nyc and their commitment to green all over this thread. It is non existent. NYC and nys have ZERO concerns about environment. It’s pure virtue signaling.

Reactions: cc333
Re: NY transit, yet somehow millions (?) of people use it every day. If you want to complain about NY public transit, you really should check out other towns and cities. Everyone thinks theirs is the worst in the world. I personally know of people in NYC who 1) use the subway to get around and do just fine and 2) non-millionaire but rent a parking spot for $450/mo for a vehicle that is used just on weekends. You must be in a different part by NYC. LOL
They use it bc they have no choice. It’s is a VERY unpleasant experience.

Hot as hell in summers. No AC at stations and the ones in the subway cars don’t work well.

Crime infested by violent thugs.

Very very dirty. Rats and vomit and urine infested.

Reactions: cc333
Anyway. Tesla can easily block non teslas here. And also enforce the no TLC charging at superchargers, which I think is in the official rules. And build more of coarse.
The no TLC charging at superchargers may be from back in the day when most Teslas had free super charging.
In the quote below, it seems you were welcome to supercharge TLC vehicles as long as you paid for each supercharge session.
if true, the current TLC drivers may unfortunately be legal at this station.

“To help ensure Superchargers are available for their intended use, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used for a commercial purpose (such as a taxi or for ridesharing through services like Uber or Lyft), unless you charge on a pay per use basis.”

https://www.tesla.com/legal/terms#:~:text=To help ensure Superchargers are,a pay per use basis.

The no TLC charging at superchargers may be from back in the day when most Teslas had free super charging.
In the quote below, it seems you were welcome to supercharge TLC vehicles as long as you paid for each supercharge session.
if true, the current TLC drivers may unfortunately be legal at this station.

“To help ensure Superchargers are available for their intended use, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used for a commercial purpose (such as a taxi or for ridesharing through services like Uber or Lyft), unless you charge on a pay per use basis.”

https://www.tesla.com/legal/terms#:~:text=To help ensure Superchargers are,a pay per use basis.
Very good catch!

Too bad none of those are in NYC. Ever since it got cold, the cropsey suc has been a cluster f***. This is my first year owning a tesla. Ive been able to get away with level 1 charging for 9 months. Since Jan, my level 1 isnt charging fast enough to keep up. Not to mention the battery drains so much faster when it cold. Im not installing lvl 2 because I plan on moving within a year. I will install lvl 2 at my new place.

Too bad none of those are in NYC. Ever since it got cold, the cropsey suc has been a cluster f***. This is my first year owning a tesla. Ive been able to get away with level 1 charging for 9 months. Since Jan, my level 1 isnt charging fast enough to keep up. Not to mention the battery drains so much faster when it cold. Im not installing lvl 2 because I plan on moving within a year. I will install lvl 2 at my new place.
Owned a M3RWD for 6+ months now. My urgency to install L2 has diminished as I realized that I was getting 50+ miles per night charging only 12am-8am. I could get more miles if I charged starting earlier in the evening.

I haven't seen a dropoff in charging miles/night this winter. Our garage has some heat and is usually about halfway between interior temperature and outdoor temperature (maybe 40-50 deg F). Not sure how low temperatures have to go to affect charging speeds.

I still intend to install L2 (I have a wall charger already), but I'm taking my time to coordinate with other electrical work.

Owned a M3RWD for 6+ months now. My urgency to install L2 has diminished as I realized that I was getting 50+ miles per night charging only 12am-8am. I could get more miles if I charged starting earlier in the evening.

I haven't seen a dropoff in charging miles/night this winter. Our garage has some heat and is usually about halfway between interior temperature and outdoor temperature (maybe 40-50 deg F). Not sure how low temperatures have to go to affect charging speeds.

I still intend to install L2 (I have a wall charger already), but I'm taking my time to coordinate with other electrical work.
Just mentioning. Your deserved success in L1 charging has everything to do with that semi-heated garage. Try what you're doing outside when it's somewhat below freezing and there'd be a different story to tell.

Reactions: dakhlkt22
Just mentioning. Your deserved success in L1 charging has everything to do with that semi-heated garage. Try what you're doing outside when it's somewhat below freezing and there'd be a different story to tell.
I suspected that might be the case. We do have a new 20A outlet so we might be getting a bit more of a charge than someone with an older 15A outlet in their garage.

The pipes run from the boiler into the garage before entering the rest of the house. Honestly, we just lucked out, because we hadn't read anything about EVs so we didn't know that heat would matter. Glad that we have it though! Next up: insulating the garage door.

I suspected that might be the case. We do have a new 20A outlet so we might be getting a bit more of a charge than someone with an older 15A outlet in their garage.

The pipes run from the boiler into the garage before entering the rest of the house. Honestly, we just lucked out, because we hadn't read anything about EVs so we didn't know that heat would matter. Glad that we have it though! Next up: insulating the garage door.
Um. What follows is Charging 101.

15A socket has breaker, wire, and mechanical socket all rated for 15A. NEC says with constant, heavy load (hello, Tesla!) one must derate by 20%. This is to prevent, and I am not kidding here, Fires. So, with 15A, 80% of 15 = 12A, and the power available to Charge Ye Car is 120VAC * 12A = 1440W.

Note that the power to heat the battery to the point of being able to charge it is a 2 to several kW if it's below freezing. So, that's why 1.44 kW won't cut it with outdoor cars in the NYC area.

A 20A circuit has a breaker, wire, and socket that are truly, duly, rated for 20A. A NEMA5-20 has that kind-of-unique right-angle blade to show it. Power available is still subject to that 20% rule, so 20A * 80% = 16A, giving 120VAC * 16 = 1.92kW. Instead of 4.5 to 5 miles of charge per hour, one gets six or seven. Still not enough to heat the battery, though.

Going to 240VAC changes things quite a bit. A LR or P version of a Tesla can accept 48A; the SR maxes out at 32A. So, with a Wall Connector, hard wired to a 240 VAC circuit, one can get 240VAC * 48A = 11.52 kW. Which can heat up the battery in a car, outdoors or not, no problem. One also gets 45 or 46 miles of charge per hour.

Tricky bit: A given breaker box can handle "yea" amount of current. I've personally seen breaker boxes on houses built 40 years ago that had, for the entire breaker box, a 60A main breaker. And all the extra slots used up. Clearly, one isn't going to get 48A for a Tesla out of one of them. My place got built with a 200A main, as it happens, so sticking a 60A duplex breaker for 240 VAC wasn't an issue.

Electricians run something called a "Load Analysis" to figure out how much spare current is available. There's lighting, more or less based on the square footage of the house, and the rated power of Every Single Appliance in the place. All these numbers get put into a chart and, more or less counting fingers, they figure if your house can support whatever extra you've got in mind.

Thing is, if one can't stick a 60A breaker in there, one might be able to stick a 20A, 30A, or 40A breaker, then jigger the Tesla Wall Connector to match. A 40A breaker gives one 32A after the derating, and 240VAC*32A = 7.68kW. Which is still enough to fully charge a Tesla overnight, as well as getting it heated, if that's necessary.

Fun.

Um. What follows is Charging 101.

15A socket has breaker, wire, and mechanical socket all rated for 15A. NEC says with constant, heavy load (hello, Tesla!) one must derate by 20%. This is to prevent, and I am not kidding here, Fires. So, with 15A, 80% of 15 = 12A, and the power available to Charge Ye Car is 120VAC * 12A = 1440W.

Note that the power to heat the battery to the point of being able to charge it is a 2 to several kW if it's below freezing. So, that's why 1.44 kW won't cut it with outdoor cars in the NYC area.

A 20A circuit has a breaker, wire, and socket that are truly, duly, rated for 20A. A NEMA5-20 has that kind-of-unique right-angle blade to show it. Power available is still subject to that 20% rule, so 20A * 80% = 16A, giving 120VAC * 16 = 1.92kW. Instead of 4.5 to 5 miles of charge per hour, one gets six or seven. Still not enough to heat the battery, though.

Going to 240VAC changes things quite a bit. A LR or P version of a Tesla can accept 48A; the SR maxes out at 32A. So, with a Wall Connector, hard wired to a 240 VAC circuit, one can get 240VAC * 48A = 11.52 kW. Which can heat up the battery in a car, outdoors or not, no problem. One also gets 45 or 46 miles of charge per hour.

Tricky bit: A given breaker box can handle "yea" amount of current. I've personally seen breaker boxes on houses built 40 years ago that had, for the entire breaker box, a 60A main breaker. And all the extra slots used up. Clearly, one isn't going to get 48A for a Tesla out of one of them. My place got built with a 200A main, as it happens, so sticking a 60A duplex breaker for 240 VAC wasn't an issue.

Electricians run something called a "Load Analysis" to figure out how much spare current is available. There's lighting, more or less based on the square footage of the house, and the rated power of Every Single Appliance in the place. All these numbers get put into a chart and, more or less counting fingers, they figure if your house can support whatever extra you've got in mind.

Thing is, if one can't stick a 60A breaker in there, one might be able to stick a 20A, 30A, or 40A breaker, then jigger the Tesla Wall Connector to match. A 40A breaker gives one 32A after the derating, and 240VAC*32A = 7.68kW. Which is still enough to fully charge a Tesla overnight, as well as getting it heated, if that's necessary.

Fun.
I guess the garage temperature (40ish) is warm enough to not really change the charging conditions for the battery. Compared to fall, I am not noticing any difference in TeslaFi in terms of the gross electricity used or the net battery charging achieved.

I set my app to charge at 15A instead of 16A. I could charge at 16A, but 50 miles per night is plenty for my purposes so I just added an additional safety margin in there to stay a bit further away from any charging that would put stress on my wiring and equipment.

I'm sure L2 charging will come in handy at some point. 45 miles per hour is fast! I charge up to 100% once a month, and it usually takes me a few days on L1, but I could do it all in one night with L2.

Sure, it moves millions and get the job done, but ask them about their satisfactory level. From accessibility / ease of use to reliability to cleanliness. Then ask them, if they have a choice of better viable alternatives to get around the city, would they do it? NYC won't even legalize scooters partially I suspect, it's better to cross town and that will take fares away from MTA. Comparing other towns and cities, Europe, Asia, even some third world countries have better metro system than NYC. That's how bad it is and we're an international city also constantly promoting public transit, they should at least get up to their standards and use them as a benchmark. Aside from the NY BS about promoting public transit, truth is, US isn't big on public transit, but even MBTA which clearly got problems of its own, is still a better experience than NYC subway. Further adding more, comparing other towns and cities in the US, look at our public transit vs other towns and cities, we're easily 4x of other "towns and cities" budget, of course we should expect more and better, but it's literally the worse, again, worse than MBTA. "Do just fine" just look at the two derailments in the last two weeks, I don't see that's fine, but as @Cuttin mentions, there's no other choice. Literally an organize crime backed by the gov is my opinion. Third world service, yet we're doubling down and forcing everyone who lives here to fund it. Apple provides better service, but I'm pretty sure Apple will go bankrupt first than the MTA if something happens.