Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Casper (Evansville) WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kaycee is midway to Sheridan. The only logical place I’m aware of is the Sinclair station. I scoped it out last night and saw no signs of Tesla. The other gas station in town which I used back in the day, appeared shut down.

Elaborating on efficiency, Casper is 1200 feet uphill from Sheridan, so the more demanding leg is heading south.

I was wondering if Tesla might eventually build a supercharger in Buffalo to cut down the gap. It's not halfway, but Buffalo could be also used by I-90 traffic, so it might be preferred for that reason? Any good potential sites there?

Tesla installed destination chargers in Buffalo at a hotel owned (since sold, I believe) by the folks who own the hotel in Gillette with the supercharger, as well as pre-supercharger destination chargers in Sheridan. Buffalo is only 35 miles from Sheridan, so I doubt it’s the first candidate to close the winter gap between Sheridan and Casper/Evansville. The Sheridan-Gillette gap on I-90 doesn’t really require any help at sub-100 miles. Perhaps one way with generalized proliferation, Buffalo gets some love.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
kRe1y7c.jpg
Woooo!
Talking about meme.jpg

Elaborating on efficiency, Casper is 1200 feet uphill from Sheridan, so the more demanding leg is heading south.

Interesting. Billings is 750 feet uphill from Miles City. I always use more juice going home to Billings than downhill to Miles City. With only 750 feet difference in elevation over 150 miles, I was willing to believe I was just driving inefficiently post-working overnight. The difference in energy consumption, however, is very real/consistent during most of a year of travel. And I am always on NOA, so there's that.........

Last edited:
Casper is live!!!! That is terrific news. This will make I-25 trips much less anxious. Even with the winds and uphill grades these trip will be manageable now. Of course a Buffalo or Kaycee SC would be even better but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Interesting. Billings is 750 feet uphill from Miles City. I always use more juice going home to Billings than downhill to Miles City. With only 750 feet difference in elevation over 150 miles, I was willing to believe I was just driving inefficiently post-working overnight. The difference in energy consumption, however, is very real/consistent during most of a year of travel. And I am always on NOA, so there's that.........

Yeah, it's amazing what becomes significant when the vehicle is so efficient otherwise! The prevailing wind will also make a difference - even if it's not perceptibly windy, there's a significant difference between a 2-3 mph headwind and a 2-3 mph tailwind. It will also make a difference if you're in a bigger hurry to get home! :)

Reactions: sdoorex and PACEMD
Right, well wind around Casper ain't exactly the friendly ghost, is it.........even up here in eastern Montana we had a semi blown off the road a few weeks ago........but that was a storm. Wyoming don't need no stinkin' storms to blow you away............

Another of my rules of thumb is figure a seven rated mile loss for each 1000 net feet of ascent. Conversely, you can recover almost that in the opposite direction.

Reactions: PACEMD
Kaycee is midway to Sheridan. The only logical place I’m aware of is the Sinclair station. I scoped it out last night and saw no signs of Tesla. The other gas station in town which I used back in the day, appeared shut down.

Without doing a deep dive on the climate data of the area, it feels like you're more likely to hit a headwind heading to Sheridan though. So that helps.

I do think they will eventually put in another supercharger, but I suspect Buffalo is more likely than Kaycee. I'd be happy with either one though.

Probably more due to the prevailing winds than the elevation change. But both of them working in concert is most likely why it's so consistent.

Reactions: PACEMD
Just to bolster the elevation point. My drive to town is ten miles with a 400 ft drop. Efficiency in is about 200 Wh/mile better than returning i.e. 150 Wh/m to town and 350 Wh/m returning. Physics can easily be applied to prove the number of rated miles needed to raise 2.5 tons 1000 feet. I just report what's proven useful generically over the years of driving before we had so many other helpful resources.

I monitor the winds around here as you can imagine, and they are forever shifting. Last night I started out with a 7 mph NW tailwind that changed to 10 mph crosswind from the W and ultimately, there was a SW wind of 5 mph returning. A commensurate drop in speed will pretty much offset the increased drag of a head or crosswind. Counterintuitively, a crosswind also produces increased drag. The pilots can share their vector diagrams to prove that to any doubters.

I can make Casper to Sheridan pretty easily in my S90D. I may have to travel 5-10 mph under the speed limit at times, but that doesn't really bother me.
What I'd like to see next is a supercharger in Shoshoni or Thermopolis. That would make Casper to Cody possible without an extended charging stop. According to A Better Route Planner, I have to go from Casper to Sheridan to Cody, which adds around 90 miles to the trip.
Of course, a Cody supercharger for access to Yellowstone is needed as well.

Probably more due to the prevailing winds than the elevation change. But both of them working in concert is most likely why it's so consistent.

Right, that was my thought also that the winds are more likely the big factor. Hadn't really looked at the specifics, low priority since it's beyond my control. It will be interesting to review nevertheless, to file away in the book of contributing factors.........

Just to bolster the elevation point. My drive to town is ten miles with a 400 ft drop. Efficiency in is about 200 Wh/mile better than returning i.e. 150 Wh/m to town and 350 Wh/m returning. Physics can easily be applied to prove the number of rated miles needed to raise 2.5 tons 1000 feet. I just report what's proven useful generically over the years of driving before we had so many other helpful resources.

I monitor the winds around here as you can imagine, and they are forever shifting. Last night I started out with a 7 mph NW tailwind that changed to 10 mph crosswind from the W and ultimately, there was a SW wind of 5 mph returning. A commensurate drop in speed will pretty much offset the increased drag of a head or crosswind. Counterintuitively, a crosswind also produces increased drag. The pilots can share their vector diagrams to prove that to any doubters.

Interesting, thanks. Got a prefered/better method for monitoring the wind? My weather app seems a bit crude in that respect.