Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chemult, OR - US-97 (under construction April 2024, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are in Sutherlin right now, nearby the 51 Supercharger installation. Headed to Crater Lake in the morning and hoping to arrive with ~35% charge and explore a little before making it to Medford with a small buffer.

Wish the Chemult Supercharger was already online as that would greatly ease range anxiety around Crater Lake. Glad it will be operational for future Tesla owners soon.

We are in Sutherlin right now, nearby the 51 Supercharger installation. Headed to Crater Lake in the morning and hoping to arrive with ~35% charge and explore a little before making it to Medford with a small buffer.

Wish the Chemult Supercharger was already online as that would greatly ease range anxiety around Crater Lake. Glad it will be operational for future Tesla owners soon.
Speed limits are low and there's not a lot of traffic on those roads, so I was able to get my actual rated mileage / 100% efficiency going up and down crater lake this time last year. There's a nice 12kw AC charger at the south entrance to the park, so I'd send it and know that the level 2 can save you in a pinch.

In a Y LR I only used 77% of my battery making the 216 mile out and back loop.

What’s that object on the right side of the silver (switchgear?) cabinet in the 2nd pic? It looks kinda like a meter?
I believe that's the meter socket. It appeared to have cardboard over the contacts at the opening where the electric company puts the meter in.

IMG_2880.jpg

Speed limits are low and there's not a lot of traffic on those roads, so I was able to get my actual rated mileage / 100% efficiency going up and down crater lake this time last year. There's a nice 12kw AC charger at the south entrance to the park, so I'd send it and know that the level 2 can save you in a pinch.

In a Y LR I only used 77% of my battery making the 216 mile out and back loop.
Just got back from Crater Lake before seeing your post. Thanks for sharing and, like you said, range wasn't even an issue.

The Best Western we stayed at in Sutherlin is next to a bunch of Superchargers but we elected to just plug in the hotel's Tesla destination charger and scheduled it to top off at 100% shortly before we left in the morning. We reached the Rim Visitor Center with 41% SOC despite using AC the whole way, an electric cooler in the trunk, and a 30-minute wait to enter the park at the North entrance. We did some exploring and reserved a trolley tour and when we got back to the Y, three hours later, it had actually gained 5% SoC while sitting in the sun warming up, lol, despite Sentry Mode on and the aforementioned electric cooler running.

We left Crater Lake through the South end with 46% SoC and gained another 2% on the downhill. We went out to dinner and reached out hotel in Medford with 27%, plenty of charge to spare.

If we return to Crater Lake National Park in the future we'll probably just come up to Medford or Klamath from Sacramento and enter the park through the South entrance with even more battery reserve. We just entered from Sutherlin and the North Park entrance because it was the tailed of a trip up the California and Oregon coast, then eastward into Tillamook and Portland. The Crater Lake leg was the only time had concerns about range but after today's experience it was bo sweat and we handily beat the estimates by ABRP. So far, in 5 years of owning an S and Y, the Tesla route estimates have been more accurate than ABRP for us.

Reactions: bruce4000
Boise to Bandon. In my other car I cut across Christmas valley from burns then through the marsh to 97 then up to 138. Once you get to I5 you keep going west on hwy 42 at Winston to get to the coast.
Looks like it saves 14 minutes, but when you factor in charging deeper, it probably saves less than 10 minutes. Probably a more interesting drive though.

Looks like it saves 14 minutes, but when you factor in charging deeper, it probably saves less than 10 minutes. Probably a more interesting drive though.
That and there’s almost zero RV and Semi traffic once you get off HWY 20. If I can limit stops to 2 deep charges then that makes my life a lot easier.
Also, if you just put in Boise to Bandon (technically 10 miles east of Bandon) in google maps this way shows up as the primary. I also don’t want to talk up this route too much because I kind of like that there’s hardly any traffic.