Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cisco, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
Any one have any update on Cisco or Sweetwater driving out to Abilene from Austin for next weekend and am really nervous...
Based on the July 22 picture from Justicepool, there's no way it can be done by next weekend. Typically it's a week or two after you see pictures of the charging bays and transformer.

Any one have any update on Cisco or Sweetwater driving out to Abilene from Austin for next weekend and am really nervous...

Is your planned Austin to Abilene route up 35 and then west on 20? If so I'm wondering if Waco superchargers plus destination chargers at Fort Worth Tesla store might be an option for you if Cisco isn't up and running, yet. Abilene is 150 miles from Fort Worth and Cisco is about 45 miles from Abilene. I think there's a Tesla destination charger in Abilene at a hotel near the Mall of Abilene that could take care of your need to charge once reaching Abilene.

Within the next two weeks or so I should be making a trip to Abilene, so unless someone beats me to it I'll try to stop by Cisco, snap a few pics of the superchargers, and post a progress report here.

If you have an 85, you should have no problem getting from Waco to Abilene going 70 mph. I've done it several times. Yeah, it's not the most direct route, but it's what we got. The Hilton Garden Inn has an HPWC, and I'm pretty sure they're cool with people using it even if you're not staying there. The Nissan dealership has also accommodated me before, too.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm actually moving from Lubbock to San Antonio on Saturday so I thought for sure Cisco would be operational by then based on the progress posted here before. I guess I'm leaving the night before my folks and getting some more hotel points. :(

• Funny
Reactions: DriverOne
If you have an 85, you should have no problem getting from Waco to Abilene going 70 mph. I've done it several times. Yeah, it's not the most direct route, but it's what we got. The Hilton Garden Inn has an HPWC, and I'm pretty sure they're cool with people using it even if you're not staying there. The Nissan dealership has also accommodated me before, too.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm actually moving from Lubbock to San Antonio on Saturday so I thought for sure Cisco would be operational by then based on the progress posted here before. I guess I'm leaving the night before my folks and getting some more hotel points. :(

In an 85, you should be able to make it directly from Austin to Abilene. It's only 216 miles, and EVTripPlanner indicates 235 RM required. If you needed a little extra to make it, I recommend a stop at Brownwood State Park, which has lots of RV campsites with NEMA 14-50 plugs (you do have to pay to enter the park and to rent the campsite, however). In 2014 we drove from Austin to Snyder in one day with a stop in Brownwood to picnic and swim in the lake while we picked up enough miles to make it. Abilene should be easy. A much prettier drive than I-35/I-20. Of course, you would be pretty low once you got to Abilene, so you would need to have some destination charging lined up. I enjoyed that trip a lot - the first leg of a drive to Denver with no superchargers until we got to Denver.

Just called the Flying J and the woman I spoke to said they were "all done" (or something to that effect). I asked if anyone had charged there yet, she said she wasn't sure.

Of course, I also just got off the phone with Tesla technical support and they wouldn't tell me anything at all. I got the standard "anything could happen so we don't say anything until it's official official" line.

If anyone happens to be out for a leisurely drive around Cisco and feels like popping by, I'd sure appreciate it! :p

What route are you taking from Sweetwater to San Antonio?

Trying to decide on that now. Was thinking about going Sweetwater to Comfort when I saw that the Hotel Faust has an HPWC they allow non-guests to use. (Rolling the dice no one will be using it.) I only have a single charger so that would be at least a 2-hour stop for me to get enough to safely get to San Antonio.

I'm probably going to spend the night in Abilene, though, so I might go through Austin and get a few hours of L2 charge while I visit friends to get me to San Marcos. That would be an hour or two longer than Sweetwater-Comfort, though.

I'm not sure a random employee would know if Cisco was really on and available to charge as opposed to just done with visible construction yet still waiting on final permits and Tesla's OK. Cisco would really be the best, though, b/c that would get me to San Marcos without going through Austin. But I don't really want to chance it, which is why I'm planning to go ahead and spend the night in Abilene, anyway. At worst, it saves me 2 hours the next day.

Trying to decide on that now. Was thinking about going Sweetwater to Comfort when I saw that the Hotel Faust has an HPWC they allow non-guests to use. (Rolling the dice no one will be using it.) I only have a single charger so that would be at least a 2-hour stop for me to get enough to safely get to San Antonio.

If you're limited to 40A then a RV park would be just as fast as a HPWC... Texas has lots of RV parks :)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've made the trip from Lubbock to Dallas a couple of times and each time I had to stay in Abilene. Of course, with Sweetwater and Cisco that will no longer be necessary, but I have not figured out a route to San Antonio that would not require about 200 more miles of driving yet.
I have to go to San Antonio next week is the reason I was asking. Looks like I'll be icing it.

I've made the trip from Lubbock to Dallas a couple of times and each time I had to stay in Abilene. Of course, with Sweetwater and Cisco that will no longer be necessary, but I have not figured out a route to San Antonio that would not require about 200 more miles of driving yet.
I have to go to San Antonio next week is the reason I was asking. Looks like I'll be icing it.

Do you have dual chargers? Iraan and Comfort Texas have free HPWCs...

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If you're limited to 40A then a RV park would be just as fast as a HPWC... Texas has lots of RV parks :)
Yeah, I've slept in my car twice at the Abilene KOA and once (unplanned) in a seemingly abandoned motel in Cross Plains, TX courtesy of a crazy ice storm, sub-20 degree temps, and failure to check the weather forecast on my part. :) I was just hoping to not have to find a park, call to reserve, etc.

Speaking of not finding chargers, though...Am I doing something wrong on EVTripPlanner? Only SC's and some other L2's show up, but not all. E.g., the HPWC at the Abilene Hilton Garden Inn doesn't show up, nor does the Austin service center or Domain chargers. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?