Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clyde, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There needs to be a sc in Seymour tx for travel from DFW to Lubbock on hwy 114. Shorter drive than I 20. Great advantage for those in northern area. I tested this in LR3, it's possible but drive conservative, no speeding. I went 282 miles nostop. 3% left
Good to know.
What speeds did you maintain? did you have to draft any truck? Any head/tail winds?

Good to know.
What speeds did you maintain? did you have to draft any truck? Any head/tail winds?
Left house with 350 miles. Got to Seymour with 65%. Turned west an had head wind until Lubbock. Nav flashed stay below 70 at start. I was about 65-67 mph on trip. Concerned after Seymour, nav stayed at 3-4%. It was spot on. It was pleasant am when I left. Saved some power with limited ac use.

Just some photos from an October pass throughly the Clyde TX supercharger. Only one there so charged fast. While we were there charging someone from the local Ford dealership came by and asked DH a lot of questions.

From here we made our longest run yet - all the way to San Antonio Leon Springs which was 225 miles on smaller hill country highways, little traffic except for hitting Saturday tourist rush hour in Fredericksburg TX.

We just noted that the utility transformer for this 20 unit supercharger looked like 2000KVA.
B091530E-C938-4309-8838-2CC8D4500CE0.jpeg

Attachments

• 35BB679D-148F-40F7-B66E-579FB1F82C47.jpeg
    35BB679D-148F-40F7-B66E-579FB1F82C47.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 078C9DF5-68C8-4868-8762-DDDF2244C020.jpeg
    078C9DF5-68C8-4868-8762-DDDF2244C020.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 38
Just some photos from an October pass throughly the Clyde TX supercharger. Only one there so charged fast. While we were there charging someone from the local Ford dealership came by and asked DH a lot of questions.

From here we made our longest run yet - all the way to San Antonio Leon Springs which was 225 miles on smaller hill country highways, little traffic except for hitting Saturday tourist rush hour in Fredericksburg TX.

We just noted that the utility transformer for this 20 unit supercharger looked like 2000KVA.
View attachment 871204

Interesting thing about those backroads is the pavement is rather rough so it does take a toll on rw range.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
It wasn’t so bad in terms of road surface. Mostly US highways and some TX highways, but mostly 2-lane, often little shoulder and quite curvy. Funny how in TX 75mph is always posted for highways now, but on most of this route, no way.
Oh 75-85 is fine if you have the range for it but the pavement is that rough chip seal on a lot of those roads which brings up wh/mi up by ~20% or better, it’s bad enough you even notice it on ICE FE.

Yep, I live in Abilene so I'm familiar with a lot of the roads around here. There aren't any "nice" roads down to Austion/San Antionio area from here. There are a hodgepodge of TX and US Hwys going through central Texas, but the road conditions are highly variable. US-84 will get you a good chuck of the way to Waco on a 2 lane (each direction) but not divided road. Most everything else though is single lane TX/US Hwys.

Most of it was US-87. Looking at my trip stats I left Clyde TX with 97% and arrived Leon Springs with 22%, 303 Wh/mi average which is pretty good for our Model X. We didn’t stop - 3 hrs 44 mins, 223 miles, 68kWh used according to the Trips display, but 75% of the battery according the SoC display.

Most of it was US-87. Looking at my trip stats I left Clyde TX with 97% and arrived Leon Springs with 22%, 303 Wh/mi average which is pretty good for our Model X. We didn’t stop - 3 hrs 44 mins, 223 miles, 68kWh used according to the Trips display, but 75% of the battery according the SoC display.
303 WH/Mi? Oooh Ahhh!

I'd give one of my daily Lone Stars for that! My M3LR has a lifetime average of 263. And I'm pretty conservative in my driving.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
303 WH/Mi? Oooh Ahhh!

I'd give one of my daily Lone Stars for that! My M3LR has a lifetime average of 263. And I'm pretty conservative in my driving.
Your efficiency is obviously much better than ours. These Model X’s are a bit hungry. Our lifetime average is around 308 Wh/mi and we’ve been doing mostly long distance so lots of highway/interstate driving. Put 9000 miles on in the first 4 months.

• Informative
Your efficiency is obviously much better than ours. These Model X’s are a bit hungry. Our lifetime average is around 308 Wh/mi and we’ve been doing mostly long distance so lots of highway/interstate driving. Put 9000 miles on in the first 4 months.
Duh... I shouldn't post before I have had my coffee. Of course a lower number is better. And frankly, I never reall looked into the power use curves on the X. I do admire them, however, especially the ones with the Captain's chairs in the back.

Duh... I shouldn't post before I have had my coffee. Of course a lower number is better. And frankly, I never reall looked into the power use curves on the X. I do admire them, however, especially the ones with the Captain's chairs in the back.
There are some interesting Wh/mi comparisons in this thread, it’s just comparing Model Xs though. I linked to the more recent posts: Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

I charged here yesterday. Charging was great for me, but the Valero where this charger is located was completely out of gas! (They are supposed to get a shipment today.)

After I charged, I search for lunch places nearby and found Cafe 97510. It's about a mile east and a few blocks south, in what I think must be old downtown Clyde. Besides sandwiches, pastries, and a full coffee bar, they also sell beef in bulk. In that Texas spirit, I ordered a burger. It was delicious, but messy to eat.

I like to eat local when I'm a road trip, and it's discoveries like this that keep me doing that. Give them a try when you are passing this supercharger.

cafe_97510_burger.jpg

I charged here yesterday. Charging was great for me, but the Valero where this charger is located was completely out of gas! (They are supposed to get a shipment today.)

After I charged, I search for lunch places nearby and found Cafe 97510. It's about a mile east and a few blocks south, in what I think must be old downtown Clyde. Besides sandwiches, pastries, and a full coffee bar, they also sell beef in bulk. In that Texas spirit, I ordered a burger. It was delicious, but messy to eat.

I like to eat local when I'm a road trip, and it's discoveries like this that keep me doing that. Give them a try when you are passing this supercharger.

Welcome to Central West Texas! We have lots of great local food around here. Glad you enjoyed it. I also find it hilarious that the gas station you charged at was out of gas.

I live in Abilene just a few miles down I-20 from Clyde. I was surprised they opened a SC in Clyde of all places when Abilene was just a bit further down the road, but I'll take anything we can get.

Welcome to Central West Texas! We have lots of great local food around here. Glad you enjoyed it. I also find it hilarious that the gas station you charged at was out of gas.

I live in Abilene just a few miles down I-20 from Clyde. I was surprised they opened a SC in Clyde of all places when Abilene was just a bit further down the road, but I'll take anything we can get.
My first Tesla experiment was my yearly trip from Dallas to Abilene in January. So I rented a Model 3 from TURO. Nearest S/C was Cisco. Long story about weather, blocked level 2 charger at hotel, etc etc. So I went to bed with 90 miles indicated. No problem, right? Learned the next morning about the result of 22 degree weather, and Sentry Mode left on by owner, and awoke with 30 miles indicated. Made it to Cisco at about 40 mph with 2 miles indicated. The Clyde S/C would have come in handy.
But WHY not IN Abilene? Several places on I-20 would be perfect.
The Hilton Garden Inn has been pretty good about keeping their Level II charger and the Tesla charger working and not ICEd. There are also a couple of RV power connections at the loading dock of the Civic Center Auditorium, BTW.
Oh yeah, When I got home that afternoon I ordered my first Model 3, and never looked bac.k