Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corning (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving this year, the wait to charge at Corning was about an hour. I was #6 when I entered the line; more cars entered to keep it that long until I left almost 2 hours later. Fortunately, all 8 chargers, including both portables, seemed to be working. There really is no alternative between Shasta and the bay area.

Williams to Shasta is about 160 miles with the last part uphill--too far for anything but the biggest batteries. So Williams wouldn't reduce the demand at Corning until there's also a charger at Redding.

My suggestion is to pave 40 feet or so of the field west of the present charger and make another row. There's plenty of room and nobody seems to be using the field. There'll still be plenty of room for walking dogs and late night toilet breaks.

--Snortybartfast

The Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving this year, the wait to charge at Corning was about an hour. I was #6 when I entered the line; more cars entered to keep it that long until I left almost 2 hours later.
Yup, Corning continues to be the choke point on I-5. Hoping for a SuC in Redding heading south. Northbound, need a SuC somewhere between Vacaville and Corning.

While on a long trip I charged my Tesla at the Corning CA Supercharger. There are 8 shared stalls in a straight row. There was one other Tesla charging when I arrived so I parked 2 stalls away. I couldn't understand why the charging was so slow. After exiting my car I discovered the pairing of the stalls was illogical. Instead of being 1A,1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B it was 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B. Which explained why it was slow - I was sharing. So I moved my car.
Not sure why the installer did this as it involves extra lengths of wiring - the paired stalls are further apart.

Also, the other 2 chargers were separate and looked very ancient with above ground wiring - never seen that before. I'll post pictures once I transfer them from my iPhone to my computer.

Not sure why the installer did this as it involves extra lengths of wiring
There are many Superchargers with paired stalls arranged in that manner. I don’t know the technical details of why Tesla did it that way, but I’m sure they didn’t do it just to make it harder to wire up.

Also, the other 2 chargers were separate and looked very ancient with above ground wiring - never seen that before.
That kind of temporary Supercharger has been seen at multiple locations over the past several years. The ones at Corning have been there almost a year now, and I’m glad they are there since that Supercharger is very crowded during busy travel periods. The planned Superchargers at Williams and Redding will ease the load at Corning.

A photo of the temporary chargers at this location was linked to in post #40 in this thread, made by @EVO11 on January 19, 2018. Here it is.

9ED030D1-8750-44ED-8800-B3B5858E1CDC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EVO11
While on a long trip I charged my Tesla at the Corning CA Supercharger. There are 8 shared stalls in a straight row. There was one other Tesla charging when I arrived so I parked 2 stalls away. I couldn't understand why the charging was so slow. After exiting my car I discovered the pairing of the stalls was illogical. Instead of being 1A,1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B it was 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B. Which explained why it was slow - I was sharing. So I moved my car.
Not sure why the installer did this as it involves extra lengths of wiring - the paired stalls are further apart..

I think that arrangement was often done on the older superchargers, but for the last couple years they have been setting them up as 1A, 1B etc. to go along with people's natural inclination to leave a space between themselves and other cars.

Charging here right now.

The temporary stalls are gone so we are back to 6 stalls.

Really surprised they removed them before Redding (or at least Chico) opened. I think this could be a bottleneck now on any random weekend if you are unlucky.

Reactions: Blu Zap
The temporary ones are back. Unfortunately even though they have the urban sc style , I maxed out at 58kw and not 72. I moved to a freed up normal one and got 115kWh.
The temporary urban ones normally max out at 50kW so you did better than most. The previous temporary stalls were not of the urban variety so these are definitely different stalls here. Of course if they could just open a supercharger in Redding, this problem would be moot.

The Chico SC will ease up the load on Corning.

I hope you are right, Guy. For me, SR99 is a much more relaxing and pretty drive between Red Bluff and Sac, especially when the black walnuts are in full leaf and shade the highway near Los Molinos. But most travelers want to stay on the interstate and blast at 75 or greater through the Sacramento Valley.

I could see Chico helping out a bit for those heading from the Truckee area to Redding if they wish to take SR20 through Grass Valley/Nevada City and down to the valley. But I really do not think Chico will impact Corning as much as the planned SC for Redding for all the north/south travelers driving between Sac/Bay Area and Oregon/Washington/BC.

I was coming south and saw the jam-up on the nav. I charged 95% at Mt Shasta, drove conservatively, made a stop at Costco in Redding, bypassed Corning and made it home with enough % to feel comfortable.
The Chico SC will ease up the load on Corning.

I was fooled by the message "1 available out of 8", not knowing that one was out of order.

The NAV would report that even if 20 cars were waiting :).

I was fooled by the message "1 available out of 8", not knowing that one was out of order.

The NAV would report that even if 20 cars were waiting :).
To me, "1 available" always implies "full" anyway, because I just assume one car unplugged and another is about to plug in. If I see "2 available," I assume there's an open stall, unless it's some huge supercharger like Kettleman City or something, in which case I would think it could be full.