Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Denton, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys in the DFW area should be reminded that most of your wind energy is coming from my backyard here in west Texas.

Solar is coming on line soon here in west Texas, too. A 100MW project in Nazareth, TX was announced this week.

Did you pick up on the US map Elon used at the Powerwall announcement.

If you cover this area with solar panels, it will replace the entire USA electrical requirement.

Yeah, a corner of the Texas Panhandle.
tesla_blue_square_energy.png

Yip. I have heard about the Large Wind projects in Texas. And in many states other than California. And that is a great thing. It is great that windmills are being installed in areas that have wind. The great planes would be ideal places for such investments. I doubt though, that Texas is generating 12MW of Power, nor CA generating 5MW.
Note: the mainstream windmills from Vesta's (the largest) and GE (the second largest) manufacturers are most typically 2.2MW each with 2.8 and 3Mwatt models now available. Meaning that you're saying Texas as 6 Windmills? Also, Energy is measured in Mwatt.hrs or MegaJoules. Power is measured MWatts.
Perhaps you meat GigaWatts?
In any case, these rather tiny efforts to date are not enough to make a dent in the Keeling Curve any time soon. It's continuing it's exponential rise. If we make such small improvements the curve will not improve in the time frame that it is needed. What is really needed is a political change to shift the balance of profit taking from PetroCarbons to sustainable energy sources. The net cost to people would be similar. Powerful lobbying is the key. The removal of politicians that block clean energy progress. Only this would make the real changes needed to fix the real underlying problem of burning petrocarbon fuels.

We are shifting towards sustainable energy sources, it is true. but the problem is that we are doing it at a rate that is not making an impact of the Problem.
Much MUCH bigger moves are required.

eg. We don't need a Giga Factory to store the Wind and PV power. We need 100x such factories!

Yip. I have heard about the Large Wind projects in Texas. And in many states other than California. And that is a great thing. It is great that windmills are being installed in areas that have wind. The great planes would be ideal places for such investments. I doubt though, that Texas is generating 12MW of Power, nor CA generating 5MW.
TexasEV and I are referring to 12 MW nameplate capacity. If you're interested in generation, those Texas wind farms produced 38 TERA Watt-hours of electricity in 2014 -- about 10 percent of the state's total generation.

If you want to discuss further, I'd suggest either joining a thread or starting a new thread here: Energy, Environment, and Policy

In the meantime, this thread is about the upcoming Denton Supercharger (which is not held up by permitting).

By the way, if you want to see the Supercharger site, come join us next week for the DFW Solar Tour! There are about 2200 solar arrays (22 MW nameplate) around Dallas/Fort Worth and we're hosting an open house highlighting fifty interesting ones. Join us! If you have an 85 kWh Model S, the existing superchargers will get you all the way here.

DFW Solar Tour, Saturday, October 3, 2015

I'm glad we can move beyond you referring to me as a Hating Texas. I certainly don't.
So, back on point, when will Texas manage to install their super charger..... is the question?
Looking at other delays there is usually a local bureaucratic grass roots resistance or some shape, eg. some petty pointless insistence on a fence to keep children from licking the ends of the charger cables or shoving them in there ears or the contest of the dual use of a couple of parking spots, or some reason that inevitably boils down a single individual on a committee with a grudge against EV's.
As a country, we often fail victim to the lowest common denominator, when it comes down to petty people complaining.....

Its an interesting conclusion to state that Texas is 'hated'. A little strong, perhaps? Not my choice of words. Although it is true that Texas represents the US's central hub of the world's Oil businesses and hence, politically, they tend to lobby for and support businesses that promote Petro-Carbon based products. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But hated is still a strong word. Many country's economies, in the world are driven by petro-carbon production and refinement; it doesn't mean we 'hate' them. We do however, need to help them make progress. Escalating CO2 is a serious issue for everyone. It knows no boundaries. It seems to be the most important issue faced by Man today. Im not sure of any issue that has the potential to damage more lives than CO2 can?.... It behooves all of us to encourage these Oil dependent locations, including Texas, to move forwards. To make progress, aggressively. To remove their local government barriers. They do have a reputation of not being very progressive when it comes to promoting the electrification of transport, and even blocking the opening of Sales outlets by Tesla for example, or driving political lobbies that support the burning of Oil, the tax subsidies for Oil exploration and the tax subsidies of Coal production... totaling around $500B each year. blah blah.. In the end, their political people are represented by their local majority viewpoint.
And, yes, this is what we read in the news, papers like the Economist are perhaps the best reads. Although perhaps considered a little Liberal by many. And Yes, you're right Californians do tend to view that Texas's attitude to burning petro-carbons as.....let's say, " lacking a sustainable attitude towards the future..."

It would be nice to see Texas taking more of a leadership position in the electrification of he United States.

I know this is getting way OT, but it IS the Texas forum...

Perhaps hated is too strong in general, although I definitely know several individuals who definitely hate Texans because we are ALL so prejudiced, which I find a little ironic.

Business Insider did a survey and the results are fun and interesting -- I'm no survey expert so let's not open that can 'o worms.

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-how-americans-feel-about-the-states-2013-8

Note that TX is the least favorite and the one people would like to see kicked out of the US.

But I see there are other surveys listing other states as less liked (even one with CA as worst), so just a matter of finding one with the results we like, as usual.

So, back on point, when will Texas manage to install their super charger..... is the question?
Looking at other delays there is usually a local bureaucratic grass roots resistance or some shape, eg. some petty pointless insistence on a fence to keep children from licking the ends of the charger cables or shoving them in there ears or the contest of the dual use of a couple of parking spots, or some reason that inevitably boils down a single individual on a committee with a grudge against EV's.
Perhaps, but that doesn't typically describe Denton. The city owns their own power company and 40% of the city's power comes from wind (since 2009). They already have EV charging paid for and installed by the city government around town. Part of their city fleet is even composed of EVs. The city and their utility say they're not the delay. So, unless you're aware of specifics in Denton that we can go and research, I'd go look back at Tesla and their contractor schedules.

As for other Texas Supercharger locations and Supercharger installation difficulties, we are aware of Tyler, which wound up being moved to Bellmead and maybe Madisonville being moved to Huntsville (but I am not aware of evidence supporting that). Both of those were two years ago. I'm not aware of resistance at the other locations (Shamrock, Corsicana, San Marcos, Columbus and Houston).

It's been made clear that a permit has been issued for the SpC. So the real speculation should be why Tesla or their subcontractors have not gotten this station started after investing the initial effort to get the permit. Is it possible they are having trouble working things out with the local utility? Or possibly there are internal priorities that have delayed the build?

Looking at the ones that were finished or construction started recently:

Columbia, MO
Albuquerque, NM
Gillette, WY
Price, UT
Sheridan, WY
Boise, ID
Baker City, OR

All these are probably more important for long distance travel then Denton because most of them are in places with no real alternative charging other than RV parks. In the DFW area there are a number of CHAdeMO chargers. So although Denton is important, people aren't stuck without real alternatives when compared to some of the other places. Of course, if I was running things, I'd put some emphasis on 10, 20, and 80.

jerry33, you forgot the two just found to be under construction in Minnesota (which we're very excited about up here). In both cases, the location is a large parking lot around a single business. In other words, only one private party has to approve the deal, making things much easier. I recall some months back that a SC (in Cananda?) was stuck in the permitting stage for several months at a strip mall because of something about all the tenants in the strip mall had to sign off on the installation and that was dragging on for what seemed like forever (perhaps some tenants weren't fully running yet, or had gone bankrupt, or somewhere in between, all that kind of stuff making it difficult to find people to approve things that are way down their priority list like SCs). There was another where there was some issue with the part of the ground where the SC was going was subject to the city's jurisdiction, but another piece right next to it was under the county or some such. The point is, getting the permit is just the beginning and there often can be a whole bunch of other parties who need to approve the installation, parties that we don't see. I'm not excusing it, because it is frustrating. But I think attributing it to maliciousness on somebody's part without any evidence other than the delay itself would seem to be reaching, perhaps unfairly so.

jerry33, you forgot the two just found to be under construction in Minnesota (which we're very excited about up here).

I can sure appreciate you being excited over them, but I didn't forget them. I just didn't include them as not being on a major east-west route. I left out a number of others for the same reason.

There are so many of us passing by that Denton location, that when the first clod of turf is overturned on the project that we will be up there offering food and water to the crew keeping them sustained to get on with it.

I LOVE Texas, but I detest some of the legislation that comes out of Austin. But that is just small part of what Texas is and unfortunately, those clowns were voted in and like most politicians, the platform they campaigned on is not necessarily what we see after they sit in the big comfy chair. Sad but true.

I happen to love California even though I may not agree with how the state is managed, it has many amazing traits and many beautiful and loving people. I would not want to see any state in the USA kicked out...we all need each other.