Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're going to make the same trip in April. What are you driving? How much battery % leaving Ozona/arriving in Marfa?

drew2017:

MS 85D June 2015 build

Charged in Ozona for an hour and left with a 96% charge.
Bucking a side-head wind we burned 367 Wh/mi. about the worst power consumption of the trip.
Arrived Alpine with 9% left
Charged at Alpine at the 240/40 NEMA for one hour and twenty minutes.
Walked three blocks East to the Hotel Holland and had a beer.
Left for Marfa with 27%, charge. 53 mi. to El Cosmico, Marfa. Burned 366 Wh/mi.
Don't recall what percentage of charge we had left, not much.

Driving back East to Austin had much more efficient power consumption 350/302 Wh/mi.
Could have made Marfa to Ozona from but wanted to find the Iraan Energy House an charged there a bit.
Thanks Ira!

Filmshack,
You may already know all this, but, anyway:

Across the street from The Stable is Railroad Blues. World Famous Beer and Wine Tourist Trap.
Terrific beer selection, house-made Sangria. Music can be really good - but starts at 10:00, kinda late for us. (and yes, I know why)
Carolyn Wonderland on April 27 - highly recommended.

The Century Bar and Grill at the Holland serves up some pretty good food.

A coupla more blocks east gets you to the Reata restaurant - get a seat next to the fireplace in the winter.
Courtyard out back in the summer. IMHO the best food in Alpine - not like dining in New York or SF, but ok.

Breakfast: "Bread and Breakfast" - across 90 from the train station.

Too far to walk, but Big Bend Brewery is worth a stop - just west of town on 90.

Where did you dine in Marfa? The trailers at El Cosmico are cool - I like the teepees, too.

Oh yeah, cars: the 14-50 at The Stable is just slow - like any 14-50.
I got as much as 80 amps at the HPWCs at El Cosmico.

charliepmayer,

Good tips on Alpine!

In Marfa.
We ate a falafel lunch at The Food Shark trailer, Good.
Lunch at Waterstop. Better.
And best of all supper at Stellina.
Stellina was so good we ate there twice.
World class!

Stayed Friday night at The Thunderbird, Cosmico was full and we didn't have a reservation.
Nothing special about The Thunderbird except for a long hot shower!
Cost is the same as El Cosmico.

A local offered me his welder outlet to charge Friday night and I took him up on it.
Left his shop open for me! Charged to about 100% and picked up the car around 10 PM.
A combination of Marfa hospitality and Tesla curiosity.

I'm sure that the folks at El Cosmico would let one use their charger even if you stayed elsewhere.
There was another Tesla charging on the Clipper Creek when we arrived. The Tesla Destination chargers were not working,
found the main breaker box on the office building and snapped them on, no problem.

Reactions: Missile Toad
I propose the first ever West Texas Tesla Rendezvous:

After Fort Stockton opens, to celebrate, we'll have a meet-up at El Cosmico (early Tesla Supporter).
(On the way out some us could meet in Iraan at Ira's BBQ shack to tell him "thank-you!".)
Stay in the tents, yurts, teepees, and old Airstreams at El Cosmico. Hot tubs, campfire music, you know.
Maybe we could have Food Shark or Mr. Beebe (Boyz 2 Men food trailer) cater our affair, eh?

Tour of Chinati Foundation and the old courthouse would be fun.

A charging session at The Stable in Alpine and buy the owners a beer or 2 at Railroad Blues?

Live music, killer restaurants, and more stars than most of us have ever seen.

Maybe Tesla can do a talk or two?

Any interest?

Been trying to figure out how to do a trip to Marfa in my S70. A good friend of mine has a house he rents out in Marfa (that I'm sure he'd let me use for free) so for many reasons Marfa is an attractive destination. I guess I could charge at an rv campground in or around Fort Stockton to be able to make the trip? I'm a new Tesla owner but without a supercharger in or around Fort Stockton it seems like this will not be an easy trip.

Austindude:

Supercharge at Junction.
Supercharge at Ozona.
Charge at Ira's "Iraan Energy House" in Iraan (level 2) so it might take a little time.
Then it's only 130 miles to Alpine.
Charge at The Stable in Alpine just enough to get to Marfa, with a little buffer.
Charge at El Cosmico in Marfa.
You're there!

It's uphill from Austin to Marfa.
Try to pick a day when it isn't blasting wind out of the west.

Sunday drive-through report:
Nothing at Love's, Flying J or hotel row on I-10. Didn't check west end of Business 10 or area south of McD's.

Apparently it's easier to put a Tesla in orbit than to charge one in Fort Stockton.
(just kidding of course - but disappointed)

Perhaps we should call the 130kWh version the "Texas Gap" model.

Saw 3 haulers carrying Teslas east. Ironic if they bought diesel in Fort Stockton.

Many very large Army vehicles on the road - tanks, APCs (?) humvees. All headed east. Hmmmm?

First got her out here in March of last year, after Junction and Ozona came on line.
Zero progress since then, either SC or destination charger in FS. Glad we have Iraan and El Cosmico.
Priscillaat MPR.JPG

Not to get political, but with the push this week for Infrastructure - you'd think that a private company making infrastructure investments would be a good thing- Maybe that's the angle someone in TX should try to use to move this along and get that winter proof route open for Tesla owners.

AudobonB:
Could not cut and paste, but I essentially stated that Texas Automobile Dealers Association was responsible for blocking Tesla Superchargers in Pecos and Fort Stockton. Sent to State Rep and Senator, Fed Rep, two Fed Senators.

Want to see some self-supporting propaganda? See here: TADA in the News

What bullshit. They are defending their business, I understand that, but it makes me resent the dealership model even more.
Unnecessary third-party markups advantageous to the dealers only.
Analogy from 20 years ago: computer manufacturers requiring you to go through a VAR.

People hate working with dealers. If there were alternatives, like that provided by Tesla, very few people would go through a dealer IMHO.
If I owned a dealership I would be very concerned about Tesla.

If I get rear-ended by an unmarked black Suburban and then run over by a Ford truck, please share this with the authorities.

Texas Automobile Dealers Association: I think their strategy of "blocking Tesla" is quite short-sighted.
In my case, TADA's strategy backfired: I bought a longer range Tesla to bypass the charging gap rather than buying a TADA vehicle.

1) All manufacturers will need a charging infrastructure sooner rather than later.
2) Tesla is a decade ahead in this department.
3) Other manufacturers should be working with Tesla, not against Tesla, to share charging facilities.
(a tweak here and there with appropriate comms and plugs and anybody could charge at a Supercharger)
From Tesla's viewpoint: a revenue opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the angry tone - but the TADA web site got me all riled up.

Not to get political, but with the push this week for Infrastructure - you'd think that a private company making infrastructure investments would be a good thing- Maybe that's the angle someone in TX should try to use to move this along and get that winter proof route open for Tesla owners.

I wouldn’t exactly call it “winter-proof”. Just before New Years and somewhere on I-10 between Van Horn and Pecos, we learned what the term “freezing fog” really meant. Luckily the Tesla was up to the challenge. Barely.

Reactions: jbcarioca
If Fort Stockton ever opens I will do everything I can to join you all there. For several decades I flew over this entire area while ferrying tiny airplanes from Florida to California. I always have wanted to drive through the area with my Tesla but keep waiting for Pecos and Fort Stockton.