Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was open road. There was no one to draft, I was getting passed by everyone. I had the worst of all conditions, cold, drizzle, headwind. I started 10 mph below the posted speed limit, and had to keep dropping when the car was warning I would not make it. In the end I was able to speed back up the last 10 miles. Look forward to not worrying sometime in the future.

Most of the big trucks on that particular road are not dong over 75 in my experience, so finding one doing 85 would never happen. You could find a big pickup or van maybe.
On our recent trip through the area, I found the same thing; none of the big rigs was going over 70, and most seemed to be limited to 65 or so. I found this kind of funny because I often see trucks going well over 70 in the Houston area. I don’t remember seeing signs limiting truck speed out there on I-10, so I assumed they must be running with governors or were being watched via GPS systems by their employers.

I did see a few work trucks and larger pick-ups going 75 and wondering if they would be useful to draft. We were in my wife’s ICE, so I never bothered to try.

On our recent trip through the area, I found the same thing; none of the big rigs was going over 70, and most seemed to be limited to 65 or so. I found this kind of funny because I often see trucks going well over 70 in the Houston area. I don’t remember seeing signs limiting truck speed out there on I-10, so I assumed they must be running with governors or were being watched via GPS systems by their employers.

I did see a few work trucks and larger pick-ups going 75 and wondering if they would be useful to draft. We were in my wife’s ICE, so I never bothered to try.
It does seem to be that way, but one has to remember one of he "Great Truths" about driving the open highway: the only vehicles you see are the one's driving faster or slower than you.

Sounds like what we need to do is charge up to 100%, then watching the wind speed and direction, drive 60 mph waiting on a semi driving around 65 mph and use it to block the wind and provide drafting. That is unless there is a 25 mph tail-wind, then just set AP to 80 mph and enjoy the trip.

I get really nervous drafting. Tiny little rocks kicked by the big trucks make nasty dings at high speeds.
Glad my old P85 has a wrap - will get the same on the new 100D.

I've had some truck drivers get a little antsy, too.

LCR1: yep, not much to talk about wrt the subject at hand as long as there's no progress.

I read that a Tesla rep was ousted from a car dealership organization, but I forget where.

A couple of weeks back going out to Marfa I fell in behind an eighteen wheeler west of Ozona going about
seventy-five MPH and drafted him off and on to Fort Stockton. The hwy was clear and little traffic, I felt pretty secure.
As we entered FS I let him pull ahead and another eighteen wheeler pulled up passing me on the left.
As the rear eight wheels came up along side of me one of the left four tires exploded scattering tire debris and one of the
mud-flaps all over the HWY. I swerved over to the far right lane and avoided the tire shrapnel.
But if I had been tailgating him....
Be very careful drafting.

Cruised through Fort Stockton today: no activity at the truck stops or on hotel row.

I did receive a personal letter from U. S. Senator Ted Cruise. He noted the issue and forwarded my letter to the State Senator and Representative in Fort Davis.

BerTX: no help in Balmorhea:
IMG_6477.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG

Does anyone know if either Flying J or Love's have a NEMA 14-50 outlet available? Not sure of the electrical rates in Ft. Stockton but at $0.10 per kWh that is only $0.77 per hour for 240v, and $0.67 per hour for 208v.

I think I would rather spend an hour of so plugged in at either of these if it would allow me to skip Balmorhea.

Is no one going to point out the 220 sticker?

Also, has anyone thought about contacting baloherina to see if they wanted to sponsor a supercharger station? De funiak springs has theirs in front of the city hall or something and nothing to do around there, similar to what this place looks like.

Graffi: yes, I agree, FS is the best place to top up.
No NEMA 14-50 at either truck stop, but all RV parks in FD have them.
Some of them are um, primitive.
Here is the place I like best: (posted here a couple of times many pages back)
Fort Stockton RV Park
Swimming pool, bath house, hiking trail, little cafe, I think they charged me $15.

LCR1: I'll call the City of Balmorhea tomorrow - would love to see an HPWC there somewhere.

Graffi: yes, I agree, FS is the best place to top up.
No NEMA 14-50 at either truck stop, but all RV parks in FD have them.
Some of them are um, primitive.
Here is the place I like best: (posted here a couple of times many pages back)
Fort Stockton RV Park
Swimming pool, bath house, hiking trail, little cafe, I think they charged me $15.

LCR1: I'll call the City of Balmorhea tomorrow - would love to see an HPWC there somewhere.

Well, $15 is a lot cheaper than running out of miles on the freeway. However it is pretty expensive for getting only $1.00 of electricity.

Since we will be using I-10 on our return leg from Florida to San Diego in July we may just try our luck and use Balmorhea as a back-up in case slow driving and drafting does not give us the range. By that time we should know if remaining miles is sufficient. That is, unless that leg uses a lot more than the rated wh/mile.

This stretch seems like a tailor made run for a 100 kWh pack.... everything else I imagine would just require going about 75 mph in non-frigid conditions... and being comfortable getting close to 5 miles left on the pack. Now only if I can find a blindfold.