Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, seeing those auto-transformers on the site. These get installed on some sites, just ahead of the rectifier cabinets. The small white boxes that are almost square. Have always been curious why they are only used sometimes; they should all be getting 277/480 V three phase from the local utility.

I'd heard that they were only needed when the electricity from the grid isn't "clean." They're used to clean up the spikes and valleys that shouldn't be there.

Well, so much for finishing today:
FS0914-01.jpg
FS0914-02.jpg

I'd heard that they were only needed when the electricity from the grid isn't "clean." They're used to clean up the spikes and valleys that shouldn't be there.
So Tesla must conduct some kind of power quality study first, as those transformers must add several thousand dollars to the overall cost. Plus, the facility will incur more losses on their side of the meter, for life.

Do you suppose that the new pricing for supercharging (new cars no longer get lifetime free) means that the cost of electricity will be charged based on what each site costs? Transformers cost more, so the electricity will cost more? Each supercharger will look like a profit center [or at least not a loss center]?

Do you suppose that the new pricing for supercharging (new cars no longer get lifetime free) means that the cost of electricity will be charged based on what each site costs? Transformers cost more, so the electricity will cost more? Each supercharger will look like a profit center [or at least not a loss center]?

We don't expect cellphone pricing to vary by cell tower used.

I think pricing will continue to be about overall electricity pricing, which is currently by state, but could theoretically become more find-grained over time.

The network costs will be spread, as they are with cellphone service.

Reactions: brkaus
While this is an oilfield town, I don't think people are that f--ked up about it to where they would resort to vandalizing the electrical equipment.
Important thing to keep in mind:
It's boom time, people that care are busy and probably most are in a happy state of denial anyway that anything will ever come of these crazy hippies and their EVs

It's the oil & gas industry. If you're charging your EV off the grid in TX that's between 30% and 40% provided by natural gas. It's coal, due to wind and to a lesser extent right now solar, that's dying out right now. It'll be a while before we start dropping NG as a percentage of the grid.

My wife works at a big name oil & gas service company, she's got no static and even some admiration as brave and forward thinking for showing up in an BEV (daily).

Oil's still going to come out of the ground, even after we stop burning any of it in the service of transportation. Oil business will hurt to some extent, the petro-chemical industry is more going to boom, as the prices for their feedstock soften. It's the fuel-centric refineries that are going to get hammered by EVs and will need to heavily re-invent, re-tool for new outputs or shutdown. The later is where you'll find some fear-rage is building, but those aren't in West Texas. Those are mostly on the Coast.

Last edited:

IIRC Elon said Superchargers will not be operated as profit centers — unlike some of the other EV players, I would add.

We don't expect cellphone pricing to vary by cell tower used.

I think pricing will continue to be about overall electricity pricing, which is currently by state, but could theoretically become more find-grained over time.

The network costs will be spread, as they are with cellphone service.
Not sure I agree- every gas station sets it price. Every utility sets its price. Every supercharger experiences its own cost based on where it gets it power and rent. Why would the price for filling up not vary by location? Not to make a profit, but to avoid loss.