Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
< XHabjab is right about keeping on-topic, suger-post retracted>

TaoJones : What if some hypothetical person traveling from the East happened to be picking up on the way a case of grape-based beverages they already had on order, and happened to have small disposable cups, and the grape-based beverage accidentally spilled in the very small cups?

Hey, accidents happen, darn the luck. While I have no objection a'tall, and a proper toast to commemorate the moment the spike makes it into the ground for posterity sounds like an equally proper idea, I feel compelled to note that I am completely unaware of local open container laws, nor whether law enforcement will be in attendance, nor if anyone will care about such things. I know they very much did in Hill City, SD where I just was.

While I figure the group of Tesla owners in attendance can always bail each other out - (now there's a group buy for the books!) - I'd just offer up the caveat that discretion may be advised. Also, we'll be on Flying J property. So be sure to offer some to the manager first. Kidding - I defer to those who are more local to see if there could be any concerns. If not, then sure, a wee bit of commemorative grape-based beverage fpr those who want to partake sounds like a great idea.

Lastly, 2 of the last 3 supercharger ribbon cuttings I've attended have been at 9 o'clock in the morning. Not that it won't be 5 o'clock somewhere.

Thank you GroundForces! Compared to my pics from Friday, they are making great progress.

Proposed Golden Spike event schedule (need feedback please!):

(I just guessed at October 6, but who knows?)

Saturday, October 6th (needs to be a Saturday, right?)
4:00-4:30 Meet at the site with Tesla and local officials, store staff, beverages, pound the spike, charge
4:35-5:30 Grey Mule Saloon for a light snack, perhaps our Tesla reps can explain the process and discuss other sites
5:30-6:45 (sunset is at 7:34) scenic Drive to Hotel Limpia, Fort Davis, dine at the Blue Mountain Bistro, charge

Sunday, October 7th
Breakfast in Fort Davis, or a scenic drive to Alpine: Judy’s Bread & Breakfast Bakery Cafe
11:30 Lunch at Come & Take It BBQ in Alpine
1:00 Big Bend Brewery Tap Room, Alpine
2:00 Car Photos at Brewster County Courthouse, Marfa

Anything else? Too much?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
Hey, accidents happen, darn the luck. While I have no objection a'tall, and a proper toast to commemorate the moment the spike makes it into the ground for posterity sounds like an equally proper idea, I feel compelled to note that I am completely unaware of local open container laws, nor whether law enforcement will be in attendance, nor if anyone will care about such things. I know they very much did in Hill City, SD where I just was.

While I figure the group of Tesla owners in attendance can always bail each other out - (now there's a group buy for the books!) - I'd just offer up the caveat that discretion may be advised. Also, we'll be on Flying J property. So be sure to offer some to the manager first. Kidding - I defer to those who are more local to see if there could be any concerns. If not, then sure, a wee bit of commemorative grape-based beverage fpr those who want to partake sounds like a great idea.

Lastly, 2 of the last 3 supercharger ribbon cuttings I've attended have been at 9 o'clock in the morning. Not that it won't be 5 o'clock somewhere.
If the hypothetical person makes it the hypothetical cargo will be there either way, as it is sitting awaiting pick-up in a cotton gin in Sisterdale. A play-it-by-ear-with-discretion plan strikes me as wise, too.

ℬête Noire, Internet Lawyer says it's all Ay-o-tah: Drinking in Public: Legal in Texas? | Bryan E. Wilson, the Texas Law Hawk

At least when you step off the Flying-J lot to the curb. LOL On-site could be a bit dicier, respect to the owner/manager and all.

Last edited:
I think (FWIW) that everyone who has been email, phoned, mailed, etc. about getting this thing built should be invited to the event, even if it is unlikely they're going to show up or their past role for/against isn't exactly known. I think the Best Western people took a few calls, for example. A gesture of goodwill can't be a bad thing.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Another consequence of the oil boom and population growth of the area. Oil demand is high here with folks driving long distances in Ford F-150s. Also I think the fuel is trucked in a relatively far distance.
Strange because AZ has a kinder-mogan pipeline running along I10 from west texas I believe - at least from El Paso. You'd think they could tap into that.
https://ir.kindermorgan.com/sites/k...image/additional/Kinder_Morgan_Asset_Map_.pdf

Kinder Morgan pipeline complete

Imgur

Work on the location is still going along real nicely.

Groundforces- thanks again for the pics. Any chance in heck it might be commissioned this Friday? As luck would have it, I have to pass through FS this Saturday. I may hold the record for the last person to involuntarily make the Ozona to Van Horn run in under 30 parsecs.

Last edited:
I picked 4:00 so people would have time to get there - not good?

Works for me personally - any Saturday is far preferable to, say, the middle of the week.

What we really need is input from the Tesla supercharger team rep/manager who's been working with FJ and everyone else. And presumably the Chamber, who does the actual ribbon-cutting. Am thinking the fastest way to that Tesla contact may be through the FJ manager I cringe at having to rely upon another executive escalation email.

If I am fortunate enough to get ahold of either of the aforementioned (and you may well beat me to it), I will propose the 4pm or 3:30pm Saturday time for the ribbon cutting and see what they want to do.

Another question is *which* Saturday after the site goes live. Sometimes, weeks have passed between a site being found to be live and a ribbon cutting. Again, when the Tesla rep plans to be there is going to drive a lot of this.

If there is no interest from the Tesla rep/FJ manager/Chamber, then we could still slot your itinerary into whichever weekend works best and still meet at the SC with spikes and sledge in hand before adjourning to the Grey Mule Saloon.

So in my mind it's just a matter of firming up when and who. Optimistically speaking (famous last words), we might even have a couple of weeks' notice rather than a mad scramble at the end. The more notice we have, the more people can attend, ideally.

With the excellent pictorial updates above, it does look like great progress with the construction/transformer steps for sure.

PS: The spikes arrived today. And they are not light.