Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gallup, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I was there on March 30th and it was completely shuttered. Just an empty parking lot with superchargers. At least they didn't close off the entire parking lot! That would have been very problematic for Tesla drivers.

Given the bathroom treatment in recent years, I'll be rooting for an ownership change.
Change is good. It wasn’t up to Hilton standards.

Charged here today. Great V3 speeds, 4 of 8 spots full, but only briefly. The hotel is still closed, but the front entry area is being worked on. No indication of any new branding yet. I looked in the side door down the main hallway; nothing looks different there. I was hoping for a sign that showed construction timeframe; looks like it is going to be a while… If you are coming from the West, the NM welcome center and rest area is open (about 10 miles west of the charger). Clean restrooms and friendly guy at the info desk!

Reactions: Sparky1 and Big Ike
Charged here today. Great V3 speeds, 4 of 8 spots full, but only briefly. The hotel is still closed, but the front entry area is being worked on. No indication of any new branding yet. I looked in the side door down the main hallway; nothing looks different there. I was hoping for a sign that showed construction timeframe; looks like it is going to be a while… If you are coming from the West, the NM welcome center and rest area is open (about 10 miles west of the charger). Clean restrooms and friendly guy at the info desk!
Thanks for the update....sounds like we are back to Covid style charging in Gallup. Separate stops for charging and bathrooms....

I may be staying in Gallup Monday night. Any suggestions for hotels? Internet is very important to me, among the other important aspects of hotels.
I'm headed out to Crownpoint. If I have a nice tailwind and can make it to Crownpoint by early afternoon, I'll stay in Crownpoint, but I may have to book something last minute in Gallup.

To make the trip interesting, on Saturday, I got the "schedule a service visit to replace your low voltage battery soon". So I start with a handicap of getting to the service station (Raintree - scottsdale, az) at 8 am (first of the day), and hoping it only takes 30-60 minutes to be on my way again.

Last edited:
The Supercharger is at a hotel. It can be busy, so be considerate of others and do not hog a charging spot overnight. I imagine that fees would also apply.
It looks like the hotel has reopened under the Best Western Chain. I'm going to stay somewhere else just in case they haven't worked out all of the startup issues. Probably Marriot/Springhill or Hampton Inn Suites

Reactions: PStewart
I was there last weekend and there were workers striping the stripes on the non-Tesla parking spots, painting fire zone curbs red, etc. Looks like it should be ready soon. The ground level signage was Best Western, but the sign at the top of the building still says Hampton Inn, and the cover was about 75% blown off.

I was there last weekend and there were workers striping the stripes on the non-Tesla parking spots, painting fire zone curbs red, etc. Looks like it should be ready soon. The ground level signage was Best Western, but the sign at the top of the building still says Hampton Inn, and the cover was about 75% blown off.
I asked a worker when the remodeling would be done. He took a swag and thought next month

Attachments

• Resized_20220523_195803.jpeg
    Resized_20220523_195803.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Resized_20220523_195819.jpeg
    Resized_20220523_195819.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 63
So I was complaining about the original El Centro SC. My apologies. The Gallup SC is a slum and makes El Centro at the mall look like a palace. Nothing to eat within walking distance. Plus the transformer area has been used as a toilet. Several human dumps with TP were easily identifiable.
Geez, what a dump! I don't want to disparage all of NW NM, but I hope a couple solid downpours hit that area and give it a full rinse cycle before I pass through in a few weeks. If Gallup SuC has anything going for it, there are some V3's so I can more quickly do my charging business and get out of Dodge! Maybe Gallup will get a new location at some point (like El Centro), that has bathroom with indoor plumbing and maybe even a couple average food options.

Gallup and Holbrook were part of the original transcontinental Supercharger route (along with Grand Junction, Moab, Blanding, and Farmington). Tesla was still learning about where to install Supercharger Stations and likely had to take what they could get.

Now, I would guess, Supercharger Stations are prized by the host property owners. Back then, who knew what a "Tesla" was?

Back in 2016 I got a chance to speak to the property owner of the tiny four stall Beaver UT Supercharger Station. He was fascinated by the cars that were visiting his location. Since then: massive expansion to deal with crowds of cars. I gather, from the Beaver thread, that the carwash is coming down to make even more space for Superchargers.

A lot depends on an enthusiastic property owner! I consider the hotel changing hands, perhaps because of the pandemic hit to business, a possible good sign for the Gallup site.

I, personally, would greatly prefer expansion in Grants, to a second site in Gallup.

Gallup and Holbrook were part of the original transcontinental Supercharger route (along with Grand Junction, Moab, Blanding, and Farmington). Tesla was still learning about where to install Supercharger Stations and likely had to take what they could get.

Now, I would guess, Supercharger Stations are prized by the host property owners. Back then, who knew what a "Tesla" was?

Back in 2016 I got a chance to speak to the property owner of the tiny four stall Beaver UT Supercharger Station. He was fascinated by the cars that were visiting his location. Since then: massive expansion to deal with crowds of cars. I gather, from the Beaver thread, that the carwash is coming down to make even more space for Superchargers.

A lot depends on an enthusiastic property owner! I consider the hotel changing hands, perhaps because of the pandemic hit to business, a possible good sign for the Gallup site.

I, personally, would greatly prefer expansion in Grants, to a second site in Gallup.
Superchargers in Grants would be great. Kind of surprising that it hasn’t happened yet. I would guess that there isn’t enough grid power there with the EA station there already; seems to be the only rational reason a supercharger hasn’t already been installed there (like anytime in the last 2 years!).

So on my return trip home, there was a tesla service guy doing open heart surgery on one of the chargers. He was talking to a buddy and I overheard the words "Casa Grande". That's all I know. I walked to the speedway about 1/4 mile away looking for a cup of coffee and a bathroom, but the lady said the bathrooms were out of order. Perhaps I should have bought the cup of coffee first? Anyway, no bathroom, no coffee. So I saw a Taco Bell sign another 1/2 mile down the road, and what the heck, it was a nice morning and my car needed to do some serious charging. When I got to taco bell, apparently they weren't open yet or something like that, so still no coffee. So I walked back to the car and picked one of the several businesses that had closed up show, but still had bushes growing on their property and found a strategically placed bush to take care of the first item. Got back to my car and chatted with another guy charging who happened to live 5 miles from me in Gilbert, AZ - close to the new supercharger going up on Stapely/Cooper and baseline. I then drove away for my next adventure: Side trip to the Petrified Forest N.P. The coffee never happened - there is always tomorrow.

So on my return trip home, there was a tesla service guy doing open heart surgery on one of the chargers. He was talking to a buddy and I overheard the words "Casa Grande". That's all I know. I walked to the speedway about 1/4 mile away looking for a cup of coffee and a bathroom, but the lady said the bathrooms were out of order. Perhaps I should have bought the cup of coffee first? Anyway, no bathroom, no coffee. So I saw a Taco Bell sign another 1/2 mile down the road, and what the heck, it was a nice morning and my car needed to do some serious charging. When I got to taco bell, apparently they weren't open yet or something like that, so still no coffee. So I walked back to the car and picked one of the several businesses that had closed up show, but still had bushes growing on their property and found a strategically placed bush to take care of the first item. Got back to my car and chatted with another guy charging who happened to live 5 miles from me in Gilbert, AZ - close to the new supercharger going up on Stapely/Cooper and baseline. I then drove away for my next adventure: Side trip to the Petrified Forest N.P. The coffee never happened - there is always tomorrow.
Yeah, don’t bother looking for a place to “go” around there. :(
Traveling west to east, simply hit the nice rest area shortly before the Gallup supercharger exit. For east to west, hit the Love’s across the freeway from the supercharger. Both are decent choices and only add a few minutes.
Hopefully the new Best Western will be friendly!