Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gaylord MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. Though I'm more a fan of this one, Tom. A Better Routeplanner
I prefer that as well but they don't have Gayloard on their yet. I did see the following on their help page so maybe they upload/update daily from supercharge.info

Thanks to Tesla Club Sweden for moral support, feature ideas and testing! Also thanks to supercharge.info for letting me use their Supercharger database, and uppladdning.nu, GoingElectric.de, openchargemap.org(license), and nrel.gov for letting me use their charger databases. And not the least, thanks to the fantastic OSRM team for their Open Source Routing Machine!

Gaylord SC opened just in in time for my 60th High School Reunion in Newberry, Michigan. This will likely be the first Red Model 3 to visit this City. Our Motel has Destination charger connections, so bring your own cables. Will report more details and maybe a photo or two after the visit. If you know of other charging options in the UP, report them.

I have an outdoor nema 14-50 (220v/40a) plug at our property in Blaney Park. Not too far from Newberry but certainly out of your way. You (or anyone else) are welcome to it. Its listed on Plugshare, just make sure you have 'residential locations' checked on the website's filter to see the location on the map.

• Helpful
Reactions: jgs and scottf200
I have an outdoor nema 14-50 (220v/40a) plug at our property in Blaney Park. Not too far from Newberry but certainly out of your way. You (or anyone else) are welcome to it. Its listed on Plugshare, just make sure you have 'residential locations' checked on the website's filter to see the location on the map.
Thanks for the tip about the "residential" filter on plug share. I didn't know about that and it opens up a bunch of other options.

Omg it’s finally open! You have got to be kidding me!!!
IMG_3392.jpg

It was a beautiful site, to pull into Gaylord charger at ~midnight for a fill-up on the 30th of June

Sorry to hijack this thread but I’m not sure how else to get this in front of a bunch of northern Michiganders... Anyone have experience with tire repair/replacement in northern Michigan? I’m in Petoskey with a puncture that I think is about to turn into a flat. Trying to figure out how I’m going to get this thing back to Chicago...

Off topic but relevant:

Good News! Phone call from Klaus at the Mackinaw City Public Marina yesterday (Friday July 13) and he said that all four chargers are operational.

No fee for charging but there is a flat fee of $5.00 for parking.

All folks working at the Marina are super friendly and helpful!!

For more info, click on this Link to the Mackinaw City thread:

Destination Chargers - Mackinaw City, MI

Left Tallahasse FL on Sunday and now at Gaylord en route to Sault ste Marie Ontario. This is fourth year doing that and glad to finally have this charger running. I took a pic last Oct on my way back down to FL. Anyway stall 1b was giving low power so switched to 3a. More than double kW and no other cars here.

Attachments

• 8FB2EEC9-F4EA-4D56-96C0-584046F4668C.jpeg
    8FB2EEC9-F4EA-4D56-96C0-584046F4668C.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 60
Left Tallahasse FL on Sunday and now at Gaylord en route to Sault ste Marie Ontario. This is fourth year doing that and glad to finally have this charger running. I took a pic last Oct on my way back down to FL. Anyway stall 1b was giving low power so switched to 3a. More than double kW and no other cars here.
I stopped yesterday and used the charger that you can pull in front ways to. Plugged in and was astounded at the speed which was 472 miles per hour. Am new to all this and did not think such speeds were possible. Anyway, there does seem to be some variability to the chargers there. Fellow with an X was charging at a much lower rate down a few chargers from where I was.

Fellow with an X was charging at a much lower rate down a few chargers from where I was.

There are many things that determine how fast of a charge you'll get on your car when you pull into a SC. The biggest one is likely the current state of charge that you have. There's certainly a sweet spot. Too low and the car will start off slow before it will taper up. Too high and you might already be in the taper and you'll never see the top speeds. In my experience it does not vary as much from stall to stall. The charge level of the battery when you pull in does have a measurable impact though.

Here in Michigan we also have to worry about the temperature of the battery in winter when you pull into a SC. It's not that big of a deal if you've been driving for an hour and you need to top up....but if you've left the car outside all night long and you pull into a SC first thing in the morning you'll be in for quite the surprise when you see the car only trickle charging at first.

I stopped yesterday and used the charger that you can pull in front ways to. Plugged in and was astounded at the speed which was 472 miles per hour. Am new to all this and did not think such speeds were possible. Anyway, there does seem to be some variability to the chargers there. Fellow with an X was charging at a much lower rate down a few chargers from where I was.
It's better to speak in terms of kW, but yes, the Model 3s can get a charge rate up to 500 rated miles/hr.

The sweet spot is when your battery's strength of charge is in the 20-50% range. Charge rate should be reduced only slightly in the 10-20% and 50-60% ranges. Charge rate starts off significantly slower when SOC is <10% and tapers above 60% (really slows down a lot over 80 and 90%).

Anyways, so if you pull in with a 20% SOC and a warm (but not hot) battery and ambient temps are pleasant, then you will get your optimal charge rate (assuming of course that the supercharger is functioning as it should). This charge rate should approach 120kW. I've never actually seen 120, but I've seen 119 briefly and I've seen charge rates in the 115-118kW range many times. The Model 3 is lighter than the Model S and Model X, therefore the car can go further while using the same amount of energy. The Model 3 will get over 4 rated miles per kW, while the rates for the S and X are more like 3.3 and 3.0 respectively. Therefore in terms of rated miles per hour when you charge, you should get up to 500 with the 3 (120kW*4=480 and the actual number is a little bit more than 4). Of course it takes a moment to get up to speed, so you will probably never see 500mph due to this factor.

I was finally able to use the Gaylord SC yesterday! Pouring rain so I didn't take pics or anything. But, I did see brief fluctuations of 117-118 kW and got up to 366 mph of charge. Had about 18% SOC when I plugged in. That's the best that I have seen personally (although I must admit I usually don't pay much attention to it). Might as well move on to my next obsessive SC site watching.......#marsb4mackinaw.

I was finally able to use the Gaylord SC yesterday! Pouring rain so I didn't take pics or anything. But, I did see brief fluctuations of 117-118 kW and got up to 366 mph of charge. Had about 18% SOC when I plugged in. That's the best that I have seen personally (although I must admit I usually don't pay much attention to it). Might as well move on to my next obsessive SC site watching.......#marsb4mackinaw.
I wonder if the rain helps keep the handle cool and if that makes any difference at the 'end of the day' for overall charging speed (delay of taper). Probably not noticeable. Likely the temps dropping overall may help more if your car arrived with the battery 'cooler'.