Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gila Bend, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why on earth would they do that? I can see the opposite being true some places, as backing in is much safer. Why mandate the least safe method?

Three reasons I can think of:
- If you're in a state where cars only have a rear license plate face-in parking makes it easier for security to identify cars.
- It makes parking quicker in the morning and businesses don't care how fast you leave.
- It makes collisions more likely with attended cars than unattended cars, which means less work for security.

Interesting that this location uses the pull-in layout. All the others in AZ are back-in.

Any thoughts on why Tesla is trying both methods?
I said the following about 35 posts ago:

I was initially confused by the pictures, but now see what's going on. There are two sets of 4 stalls forming an L with the charger cabinets in the corner. 4 stalls are head-in and 4 stalls are back-in. The fire hydrant near the head-in stalls may be an indicator for why those are not back-in.
By that I mean that there may not have been sufficient clearance between the existing water line serving the hydrant and where the conduits would need to go for a back-in arrangement for those 4 stalls.

Okay . . . we know that trenching began sometime before January 28 and that there has been virtually no activity since Tyl's post & photos of Feb 27. It appear that the location is only short a transformer. I don't know anything, but wonder if a contractor screwed up and TM and the contractor need to sort it out before the site can be completed. It's more than a bit odd that seven weeks appear to have lapsed since the last report of apparent activity.

I can't get there until after May 21-22 or there abouts! Maybe we will be in for a little surprise! Let's hope so! .... a transformer.. some cable pulling via muletape because it is a very long pull. Sorry I lost the con on this site, I have just gotten busy elsewhere!!? I use to be able to check it out from time to time!

It seems like getting the transformer has been the slowdown. I have no idea why it takes so long.. Yikes! maybe transformer makers are a little behind in their capacity to produce transformers?? Who knows? but the delays in some Supercharger locations are common, and in others they're non existent! Go figure!

Last edited:
I went through Gila Bend tonight and I'm sorry to report there is no change. The charging pedestals are in place, but there is no transformer installed at the base of the power pole.