Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Glen Allen, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cbh03

Supporting Member
Apr 25, 2015
Northern Virginia
I stopped by the Glen Allen supercharger on 10/14 and the approx. 8 parking spots directly across from the existing supercharger parking spaces were fenced off. No other spots appeared to be fenced off in the immediate vicinity. Does anyone know if Tesla is adding additional stalls to this location?

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
There were rumors of this spot being expanded a few weeks or months ago, and I believe they previously came out and marked for underground utilities, but this might be the first solid evidence we've gotten that it's really happening. I live only a few miles away from this supercharger. I'll try to swing by soon and see if any progress has been made.

Surprised this hadn't been posted here yet (found it on Twitter):
glenAllen.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Austral and CatB
Interesting... I've used GA 3-4 times, and rarely has it been more than me and perhaps one other car there.

Either there are times where it's a choke point, or Tesla is working hard to get ahead of Model 3 demand... or both.

Good to see. I hope this focus also includes remedies for whatever has led to supercharger throttling, as Glen Allen is one of the locations where this has happened for me.

Interesting... I've used GA 3-4 times, and rarely has it been more than me and perhaps one other car there.

Either there are times where it's a choke point, or Tesla is working hard to get ahead of Model 3 demand... or both.

Good to see. I hope this focus also includes remedies for whatever has led to supercharger throttling, as Glen Allen is one of the locations where this has happened for me.

It's normally completely full on weekends Fri - Sun. Weekdays not so much, but when folks travel back and forth to the beach GA use to be a must stop to make it for most folks, since the next SC previously was VA beach.

Last edited:
I used it one time, around 6pm on a weekday (not Friday). 3 out of 8 were in use when I parked. 7 out of 8 were in use when I came back. I was pretty surprised at 7/8 for a random weekday. So based on this and other recent comments in this thread, I would say the expansion is warranted. It's also a pretty good location as far as superchargers go, so if they are willing to give up more spaces, Tesla should jump at the opportunity.

I was there Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday night. Here's another angle showing the construction. As you can see it wasn't terribly busy Tuesday afternoon.
You can also that one side of the lot is blocked off; you can only enter the supercharger area from the side that's closer to Panera / further away from Chili's. A bit of a pain for now, especially if you're going to Chili's, but not terrible, and I'm sure the expansion will be quite nice.

Attachments

• IMG_7898.JPG
    IMG_7898.JPG
    779.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenius
Ouch, that is a pain for walking to Chili's! Thanks for the photo, @paulkva; I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been lucky - never seen Glen Allen full, but I only use it every 2-3 months. Yay for Tesla adding more stalls!
It's really not all that bad, maybe an extra couple minutes of walking for Chili's, just a slight difference for walking across to B&N and the other big-box stores, and no added inconvenience at all for walking to Panera. It looks disconcerting as you approach by car, though, as if the chargers are unavailable, until you work your way around the fence. I have also never seen Glen Allen full, though I've only been there a handful of times.