Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Great Falls, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove Calgary to Vegas (and return) over the X-mas break with Model X 100D (max. range ~460 km).
On the way south, supercharged in Fort MacLeod and topped up at Peavey Mart in Lethbridge (free,~16 kW), then carried on to Great Falls Spring Hill Suites destination charger overnight. Roughly 30 km of energy to spare. South of Great Falls (after destination charging), the distance to Butte is around 250 km, however, there is a substantial elevation gain. We pulled into Butte supercharger with approx. 60 km remaining (ie. it used up an additional 150 km of energy to cover the distance).

If you're on the way to Vegas, do not skip charging at Beaver and at St. George. There is a mountain range approaching Vegas and the speed limit is 80 miles/hour. Might as well charge and ensure you get to Vegas with energy at hand. The supercharger stations in Vegas may be busy with 30 minute wait time. If you charge in Vegas at the Linq supercharger, keep your stay below an hour, otherwise you will have to pay $9 for parking as you exit to area.

On the return trip north with heavy headwind and -10oC, after Great Falls destination charging overnight, I barely made it to Lethbridge Peavey Mart. Had to slow down to 60 km/h on the highway for the final 15 km approaching Lethbridge and was driving along the streets with 0 km of energy remaining.... but we made it.

We also completed a Calgary to Vegas trip in September. At that time, we travelled through Fort MacLeod (supercharged) and headed west to Fernie and then south to avoid destination charging in Great Falls. We did not have a CHAdeMo adapter, so our next best option was the Town's EV charger at 16 kW. We topped up (took us around 3 hours to top up) and then headed south, crossing into US at Roosville crossing (which is open 24 hours) and arriving at Missoula supercharger with ~25 km remaining, and then to Butte and south. On our return trip, we stopped at Great Falls to destination charge. Continuing north, we drafted behind a tractor-trailer and made it Lethbridge with approx. 30 km remaining.

PlugShare indicates a Flo charging station at Milk River (80 km south of Lethbridge). The picture looks like near completion except for surfacing of the area (I assume with gravel). I am not certain if this has been completed yet.
PlugShare also show a charging station in the Town of Raymond, but will need to detour 15 km from Highway 4 (along Highway 52), approx. 35 km south of Lethbridge. It appears to be a 7 kW charger (so approx. 30 km/h), but may be a good location to charge on days with heavy headwind.

I hope that helps.

I drove Calgary to Vegas (and return) over the X-mas break with Model X 100D (max. range ~460 km).
On the way south, supercharged in Fort MacLeod and topped up at Peavey Mart in Lethbridge (free,~16 kW), then carried on to Great Falls Spring Hill Suites destination charger overnight. Roughly 30 km of energy to spare. South of Great Falls (after destination charging), the distance to Butte is around 250 km, however, there is a substantial elevation gain. We pulled into Butte supercharger with approx. 60 km remaining (ie. it used up an additional 150 km of energy to cover the distance).

If you're on the way to Vegas, do not skip charging at Beaver and at St. George. There is a mountain range approaching Vegas and the speed limit is 80 miles/hour. Might as well charge and ensure you get to Vegas with energy at hand. The supercharger stations in Vegas may be busy with 30 minute wait time. If you charge in Vegas at the Linq supercharger, keep your stay below an hour, otherwise you will have to pay $9 for parking as you exit to area.

On the return trip north with heavy headwind and -10oC, after Great Falls destination charging overnight, I barely made it to Lethbridge Peavey Mart. Had to slow down to 60 km/h on the highway for the final 15 km approaching Lethbridge and was driving along the streets with 0 km of energy remaining.... but we made it.

We also completed a Calgary to Vegas trip in September. At that time, we travelled through Fort MacLeod (supercharged) and headed west to Fernie and then south to avoid destination charging in Great Falls. We did not have a CHAdeMo adapter, so our next best option was the Town's EV charger at 16 kW. We topped up (took us around 3 hours to top up) and then headed south, crossing into US at Roosville crossing (which is open 24 hours) and arriving at Missoula supercharger with ~25 km remaining, and then to Butte and south. On our return trip, we stopped at Great Falls to destination charge. Continuing north, we drafted behind a tractor-trailer and made it Lethbridge with approx. 30 km remaining.

PlugShare indicates a Flo charging station at Milk River (80 km south of Lethbridge). The picture looks like near completion except for surfacing of the area (I assume with gravel). I am not certain if this has been completed yet.
PlugShare also show a charging station in the Town of Raymond, but will need to detour 15 km from Highway 4 (along Highway 52), approx. 35 km south of Lethbridge. It appears to be a 7 kW charger (so approx. 30 km/h), but may be a good location to charge on days with heavy headwind.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for the Great Information as I will be heading to St. George in early February and figure I HAVE to go that route as they don't have SuC along I 94 in MT also tricky getting down to Bismark.
Questions:
How high did you Super Charge to % or Km or Mi?
What speeds were you driving. Not concerned about speed once we reach the first SuC area, but from Lethbridge to Butte. Might stop at Conrad Super 8 as that will be a fairly long day to there (possibly too long), so it will be different. I may stop for Chicken at Suds in Helena to get a top up, if needed. I have a CHAdeMO adapter on order so should be able to use the Flo station at Milk River. I have ordered the Flo card & put some cash into the account. Also have my Charge Point card so hope I have enough cards to allow charging.
Any other hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I hope that helps.
Interesting post. But I take issue with the part about the big mountain range between St. George and Vegas. In that NW part of AZ, you do drop into the Virgin River Canyon and then come back out, but you actually have a net elevation drop from St. George to Vegas (and a big elevation drop from Beaver to Vegas), so I'm thinking something else caught you off guard range-wise on that strange. The speed limits are definitely high and maybe you ran into a headwind and/or unusually cold temperatures.

But yeah the advice about not skipping St. George is probably good advice nonetheless, especially in winter. Beaver to Vegas would be doable if you charge to near 100% and drive slowly but if you want to drive carefree, you need to stop in St. George.

Hello,
To answer Manitoba Keith, I charge to 100%. My range is 460 km. For the section between Fort MacLeod and Great Falls, I drive at 130 km/h. Great Falls to Butte is also 130 km/h except through the mountain range curves. Lethbridge to Great Falls would take just over 3 hours, 7 hours to charge (destination charger at Spring Hill Suites, 16 kW, can get up to approx 65km/h if no one else is charging). Then another 3 hours to Butte.

To answer Plus EV, I found that once you leave Beaver heading south to Las Vegas, it doesnt take long before the navigation system says to slow down to reach destination (Vegas). The speed limit is 130 km/h (80 mph) so I tend to drive 140 km/h. I do not know if the Flo charger in Milk River is operational yet.

One reason why I charge at St. George is so that I dont need to supercharge when I get to vegas. I usually get there late at night (early morning) and would rather go directly to a hotel than to a supercharger.

• Helpful
Reactions: Manitoba Keith

I hope that helps.

The Milk River fast charger went online a couple days ago. It's announced on Facebook and also verified in the Flo app.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I also drove the Vegas twice in the last couple of years and this Milk River DC charger is a godsend.

If you're in a Model 3, the trip from Las Vegas to Medicine Hat is a bit of a PITA until Helena, Great Falls, and Shelby (or somewhere nearby) are complete. When I did it in May last year I had to go through Flathead National Forest and cross at Carway. I had to stop in the forest at an RV park to charge up. Took a 3-hour break (pre Netflix and YouTube) in the middle of nowhere and it was not a good time (driving alone and the park was nowhere near anything). Barely made it to the crossing before it closed and made it to Fort Mac with 14km of range left.

I really hope Helena and Great Falls are up and running by May this year so I can go that route. Granted, with Netflix and YouTube, hanging out at RV parks might not be so bad, but the 16 hour travel day really got to me. I make this trek at least twice a year in my ICE vehicle so 12 hour travel days are about my limit.

Suppose I could have a second night in a hotel, but three days of traveling is a lot for the time I'm there.

• Informative
Reactions: Manitoba Keith
any updates on the status of the supercharger installation? I assume they continue construction during winter.

They do, but Tesla construction seems to proceed in a sporadic fashion. There will be no activity for weeks or months, then a crew shows up for a week. They may finish, or they may disappear for another period of weeks or months. No real way of knowing when they will finish.

Reactions: PACEMD
Looks like Helena almost up and running.
20200304_185032.jpg
20200304_185032.jpg

As I'm heading
As I'm heading north and driving by, does anyone know if the great falls Charger is online? Thx
It is not online yet, they are still in the holding period for the pedestals and Powerpacks and/or Megapack. It shouldn't be too much longer till they get started on that, but coming online will be sometime. Possibly the end of spring to summer

• Informative
Reactions: otter
Anyone have any more information on this site. Hope to do a trip the last week of May and it is either this or long destination/RV park stop. 180 miles from Great Falls to final destination. Thanks
As of now, there is nothing being done. Last mod they really did to the site was back in late December and first couple of days into January. I was just there the other day and it has looked the same way since. I have stopped by every other week since then. If they hit the pedal to the metal before the end of may, maybe but it would be a close call. Sorry it maybe a RV stop, at least for May. I've been thinking a summer opening with all the other planned superchargers at once. Hope that helps

Attachments

• 20200421_111610.jpg
    20200421_111610.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200421_111735.jpg
    20200421_111735.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200421_111624.jpg
    20200421_111624.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 77