Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Great Falls, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of now, there is nothing being done. Last mod they really did to the site was back in late December and first couple of days into January. I was just there the other day and it has looked the same way since. I have stopped by every other week since then. If they hit the pedal to the metal before the end of may, maybe but it would be a close call. Sorry it maybe a RV stop, at least for May. I've been thinking a summer opening with all the other planned superchargers at once. Hope that helps
Thanks, probably won't go until mid June. Helena looks much farther along. At least it would shorten my stop in Great Falls if it opened.

As of now, there is nothing being done. Last mod they really did to the site was back in late December and first couple of days into January. I was just there the other day and it has looked the same way since. I have stopped by every other week since then. If they hit the pedal to the metal before the end of may, maybe but it would be a close call. Sorry it maybe a RV stop, at least for May. I've been thinking a summer opening with all the other planned superchargers at once. Hope that helps
(Sorry don't know why a pic of the Helena Charger got mixed in there. P.S. The Great Falls Site does not have pedestals installed at this time)

Anyone have any more information on this site. Hope to do a trip the last week of May and it is either this or long destination/RV park stop. 180 miles from Great Falls to final destination. Thanks

Where from and to?

If nothing else, call Springhill Suites (421 3rd St NW, Great Falls) to see if you can charge there. It’s 72 amps at 208v, which is about likely double the speed of a 14-50 at an RV park, and nice restaurants nearby too.

Thanks, Actually going from Los Angeles to Turner, MT in my SR+. Great Falls to Turner is about 185 miles so will need it close to 100%. Good to know that the Springhill Suites is faster. Possible that I may just stay there also. My free supercharger miles expire at end of June so good time for the trip back "home". About same amount of miles left as the round trip.

Driven thru there with my SR+ Stayed at this hotel and used the chargers . Overnight there is no issue reaching 100% but ..... Remember we sr+ are limited to 32A max so charging rate depends on voltage. A 14-50 at 240 volts would be faster
Thanks, on a Helena post there was a reply that the Great Falls pedestals where just installed this week. Still hope that it would be ready by 16th or by my return through on the 21st.

The Great Falls supercharger is up and fully installed. I was there today and tried to plug in just for a test but doesn’t appear they are turned on. No flow coming through. Just a heads up to everyone

Attachments

• 6C5CDBAA-FF3B-4902-9E1C-B763AA177ADD.jpeg
    6C5CDBAA-FF3B-4902-9E1C-B763AA177ADD.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 135
I don’t know about any meter but there are transformers in place and gated.

Yep.... won't work until the utility's transformer is installed and the usage meter is connected. Those are the typical timeline markers. There have been quite a few SpC locations completed by Tesla only to sit for months waiting for the local utility to connect. But usually when those two items appear, it happens within days if not hours.

It's not the utility companies holding things up it's Tesla. No way, for example, that the Miles City utility company couldn't slam in a meter in 4 months. Tesla has to show up to turn on the juice, activate, and test. The utility company will not just plug in the meter and say, ok, turn it on whenever you please. They will not install the meter until things have been inspected and are ready to turn on...........Turn on, tune in, drop out..........

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
It's not the utility companies holding things up it's Tesla. No way, for example, that the Miles City utility company couldn't slam in a meter in 4 months. Tesla has to show up to turn on the juice, activate, and test. The utility company will not just plug in the meter and say, ok, turn it on whenever you please. They will not install the meter until things have been inspected and are ready to turn on...........Turn on, tune in, drop out..........

And that big thing... oh yes, the transformer. From what I understand most of the smaller utilities do not just have various size transformers sitting around. Has to be requisitioned and, oh yes, they probably want money from them before delivery.

If there's no transformer on site, then the utility company could indeed be the hold up. None of us really have enough information to say for sure what the hold up is.

I agree and watching the threads, the last info we actually got was from ACLOPEZ who reported that there were indeed several 'transformers' in place. No picture, but I think ACLOPEZ may be confusing the multiple cabinets Tesla installs (generally white same as charging units) with the actual (usually green) single large transformer the Utilities install. After that Tesla returns and checks entire system for operation and with local authorities approve for open.
Thus if anyone stops by.... please look for the large green transformer and electric meter (like at your house) and take a picture....please.

If all that is in place and still not open - most likely the ball is then in Tesla's court.

Reactions: scottf200
And that big thing... oh yes, the transformer. From what I understand most of the smaller utilities do not just have various size transformers sitting around. Has to be requisitioned and, oh yes, they probably want money from them before delivery.

Miles City has had the transformer installed for over 3 months, just needs the meter and Tesla to get on up offa their butts.........Tesla is the holdup there, not the utility company. That is all I was saying. The prediction is Tesla is waiting to do a run down the line to Fargo.........

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Manitoba Keith