Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I charge at Harris many times a year and have not had a problem. But I am not disputing that some people have had slow charging there.

The thing is, only a very low percentage of people who come to a Supercharger and have a normal charging session then go post "Charged at X Supercharger, no issues". A significantly higher percentage of people will post if they have had a Supercharging problem. The disparity in reporting skews the perception of the issue.

Fair, but my gripe is that I don't have problems 1 out of 10 stops. I have problems 9 out 10 stops. I honestly don't understand why you have never experienced this issue given that it affects everyone including owners with brand new vehicles. I'm not doubting you, I'm just genuinely curious how you have the miracle car that never has a supercharging issue.

Fair, but my gripe is that I don't have problems 1 out of 10 stops. I have problems 9 out 10 stops. I honestly don't understand why you have never experienced this issue given that it affects everyone including owners with brand new vehicles. I'm not doubting you, I'm just genuinely curious how you have the miracle car that never has a supercharging issue.
I'll chime in and say that I haven't had issues either, except for an overheating issue while Supercharging with my X this summer. That was related to having the compressor lines swapped, though.

My experience is generally as expected. Cold pack charges slowly but a warmed active pack charges at the specified rates. These reports worry me, though, especially as I plan long trips with a trailer. That could really affect my already slow pace.

I'll chime in and say that I haven't had issues either, except for an overheating issue while Supercharging with my X this summer. That was related to having the compressor lines swapped, though.

My experience is generally as expected. Cold pack charges slowly but a warmed active pack charges at the specified rates. These reports worry me, though, especially as I plan long trips with a trailer. That could really affect my already slow pace.

The best advice I've seen is given in post 341 here:

Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

If you experience issues, simply move to another stall (even if it is on the same cabinet) since it is the handle temperature that is driving the throttling. Oh, and definitely don't arrive with less than 5% SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I honestly don't understand why you have never experienced this issue given that it affects everyone...
I do not understand why you state "this issue...affects everyone". I just posted that it had not affected me. There have been others posting (including in this thread) that it has not affected them. So the word "everyone" clearly is inaccurate.

I wonder if some cars are having issues due to wear or bad contacts on the car side of the connection? That would explain why some owners are have more problems with slow supercharging than others. It also explains why Tesla is changing out the cables at the superchargers, but that is only 1/2 of the connection. Perhaps some owners will have to get the car side replaced before the problem will go away for them.

• Helpful
Reactions: apacheguy
I wonder if some cars are having issues due to wear or bad contacts on the car side of the connection? That would explain why some owners are have more problems with slow supercharging than others. It also explains why Tesla is changing out the cables at the superchargers, but that is only 1/2 of the connection. Perhaps some owners will have to get the car side replaced before the problem will go away for them.

Perhaps. But before my last trip I spent 1/2 an hour cleaning my charge port with compressed air and rubbing alcohol. Visually, it looked very clean. Also, I'm a very light supercharger user (10-15 total connections per year). I would think we would see the accelerated aging in heavier users given all the heat induced damage to the contacts.

Ok I will ask about this next month. Do the techs have a standard procedure to verify my concern?
I would ask them to plug into supercharger and record handle temp for your car, and then compare to a new car and record the difference. That should be proof enough if it is handle temperature that is limiting your charging ability!

Ok, you know what I meant. It has affected a wide range of Tesla owners.
No, I did not.

"Everyone" does not mean "a wide range". "Everyone" means "every person", which in the context of this thread would mean "every Tesla owner who uses a Supercharger".

You were exaggerating. Unless you are going to claim that every Supercharging session exhibits rates well below what Tesla advertises. Which I do not believe is what you are claiming.

What does reduced service mean. Fewer stalls? Less power? No charging at all? We went to Harris Ranch for dinner last weekend and I'm wondering what I should do if I see reduced service on the nav.

According to Tesla SC tech, Reduced service usually means some charging stations down. Cause may be failure or maintenance. About 10 days ago I arrived at Santa Ana only to find that they were in the process of closing down all stations for some sort of capacity test. There was no prior notice. Fortunately Buena Park is only 9 miles away.

Reactions: McManX
I just finished charging at Buttonwillow (normal charge rates) and am on my way to Harris Ranch. The car nav display shows the "reduced service" message for the Harris Ranch Supercharger. I will be there in 2 hours and post what I find. If I can't find a working stall there I will just go to Gustine. But based on @mustafazr it sounds like there are only a few stalls with a problem.

Reactions: McManX