Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried to schedule a battery swap and they were usually busy. But the real issue is that you have to follow a schedule. I drive from the East Bay and work in LA and sometimes might have to stay an extra day or come home early. If that happens, they don't always have space for me to swap on my way back. Would love to swap but I can't conform to show up within 10 minutes of an appointment.

After taking two SoCal trips two weekends back to back, just wanted to give people a heads up: Harris Ranch has seen better days.

Per what Tesla service told me (after I complained), nearly all the stalls except 5AB are flagged with reduced charge rates which appear to be around 50-75kW. It's resulting in nearly doubled charging times.

To make matters worse, 3B has a broken handle and it's busy -- right now all the stalls are full and I saw someone pull into the broken stall :(

Fortunately I planned to charge extra at Buttonwillow so I only needed 10 minutes at Harris which has turned into 20 minutes. The first time I got really burned because I was supposed to charge 30 minutes and it turned into over an hour!

So.... if you can, consider charging more at the previous supercharger. As long as you haven't tapered below 180mi/hr, you're better off! And that doesn't even factor in the risk of arriving with a line like now.

(Fortunately in the time it took for me to type this, another stall freed. I'm gonna leave Harris as soon as I have my 10% margin and finish up at Gilroy to help anyone else waiting here.)

Thanks for the heads-up! How hot is it down there these days? Heat could be a contributing factor to power limitations.

It was 105-110 but no hotter than Barstow or Buttonwillow, both of which supported 300mi/hr charging rates.

And did you have a chance to try unshared stalls? (e.g. 1A while 1B was unused)?

Yeah eventually my stall buddy left and it made no difference. It seems like some of the stalls are simply limited to slower charging rates altogether. If you arrive at Harris and stalls 5AB are in use, you'll want to be prepared to spend double the time you expected charging.

Absolutely. I'm a fanatic about that sort of thing. I tried two separate unpaired stalls at Harris and both delivered reduced power after initially showing > 100 kW.

Tesla said this about a week ago:
I can see that there a currently some charging reduced flags set for several posts at Harris Ranch. Most affected are posts 2AB and 3B, with some minor issues flagged for 1AB, 3B, 4AB, 6B and 7A. Not all owners plugging in will experience issues charging, especially on those flagged with only minor issues reported.

In my experience, 5AB is indeed golden and sometimes even splitting 5AB with someone else is a net win over the other stalls.

It hasn't been 100% consistent for me. I had good luck at 3A splitting with 3B, but I also experienced 7A dropping me down to 50kW minutes after starting to charge normally.

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
Tesla said this about a week ago:

In my experience, 5AB is indeed golden and sometimes even splitting 5AB with someone else is a net win over the other stalls.

It hasn't been 100% consistent for me. I had good luck at 3A splitting with 3B, but I also experienced 7A dropping me down to 50kW minutes after starting to charge normally.

Isn't it BS that we have to deal with issues like this pretty consistently? Tesla should be more focused on dealing with issues like this than aquiring solarcity if it wasn't to be successful.

Teslas effort to acquire SolarCity has nothing to do with some Superchargers in California not consistently delivering full power.

It's a matter of priorities ecarfan, and having had so many issues in such a short period of time, calling tech support each and every time only to be told the same bs, makes me feel like either Tesla is totally overwhelmed, doesn't care, or is more concerned with building superchargers in Mississippi than fulfilling their promises to those who already purchased a $100k vehicle from them

.....Regardless until these superchargers work as advertised I'm certainly not encouraging my friends and family to buy a Tesla. In fact I am telling them to wait and see, perhaps it's a bad idea to depend on a network that will be pushed to it's limit with Model 3 when it can't even work properly with current relatively limited Model S production.

In the end, the slower the chargers are, the longer the lines are, because you need a certain amount of juice to get to the next charger, regardless of whether a "30 minute time limit" is posted. if 10/12 chargers at Harris Ranch, one of hte most important supercharges in the network, are having so many issues, I can't imagine, for the life of me, why they aren't immediately dispatching technicians to resolve the problem?

Reactions: Brovane
:) I appreciate the heads-up about chargers 5AB at Harris Ranch.

At 9AM 10/13 we pulled into 5A even though 5B was occupied. Charge rate was ~72kW, so moved to unpaired 4B, which started up at 105kW so we went inside for breakfast. After ordering I went back out to check and the charge rate had dropped to 62kW . As I got back to the front door, I saw people getting into the X at 5B so I went back and moved to 5A. 5A was just fine, starting at 110kW with gradual tapering, so when we were done with breakfast after an hour the car was at 245 rated miles and ready to go. We also noted that the slowed down 4B cable was hot to the touch when I moved the car after 10 minutes, much more so than the 5A cable after nearly an hour of charging.

At 4PM 10/16 the 5's were unpaired, we plugged into 5A again and had a full charge after an hour and a half of dinner and shopping.

:) I appreciate the heads-up about chargers 5AB at Harris Ranch.

At 9AM 10/13 we pulled into 5A even though 5B was occupied. Charge rate was ~72kW, so moved to unpaired 4B, which started up at 105kW so we went inside for breakfast. After ordering I went back out to check and the charge rate had dropped to 62kW . As I got back to the front door, I saw people getting into the X at 5B so I went back and moved to 5A. 5A was just fine, starting at 110kW with gradual tapering, so when we were done with breakfast after an hour the car was at 245 rated miles and ready to go. We also noted that the slowed down 4B cable was hot to the touch when I moved the car after 10 minutes, much more so than the 5A cable after nearly an hour of charging.

At 4PM 10/16 the 5's were unpaired, we plugged into 5A again and had a full charge after an hour and a half of dinner and shopping.
Did you call tesla to report the issue?

Tesla really needs to hear about every single issue for them to prioritize this...

Reactions: rfmurphy81
I did not report directly to Tesla, but I had a long conversation with a service tech at our next stop in Dublin. He says Tesla is very aware of the problem. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1784232/ Unfortunately the evidence is that they have not yet found a solution. And past history says Tesla will not communicate publicly about problems before they are resolved.

Dublin charging was slow but we didn't need much there. Saturday night in San Mateo the first charger we used was slow, but then we moved and the next one was fine.

FYI at all 3 locations the "slow" cable was noticeably hotter to the touch than the faster cables.

Last edited:
Pulled in around lunchtime today, at stall 2B... The charging session kept flaking out around 50 miles in, reporting a charge cable fault. Thankfully, while not charging as much as I'd like, I still managed to get enough to make it to my next stop. I wonder if some of these older heavily-used stalls are starting to wear out. Next time I'm going to try to get into one of the newer stalls on the far end of the row instead.