Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as crates go, not all the material that goes into a supercharger comes from Tesla. Did you see anything from Schneider Electric or anything with a big square D on it? Those tend to show up first. Big gray metal boxes. If those are there the rest will follow.

Contrary to my post #12, I received an email today from the Granite State Clean Cities Coalition confirming that YES, a deal has been made with Tesla to install Superchargers at Hookset. She did not know when, but it seems our friend from Cali posting in a New England thread may have the most accurate timeline.

As far as crates go, not all the material that goes into a supercharger comes from Tesla. Did you see anything from Schneider Electric or anything with a big square D on it? Those tend to show up first. Big gray metal boxes. If those are there the rest will follow.
What looked like they might be large wooden crates from a distance at night were fences around dumpsters. There was some equipment stacked behind the southbound building, but it was smaller and looked at first glance to be HVAC equipment. I didn't spend a lot of time hunting around, as it was late, I was tired, and still had a bit more than an hour to drive. Nevermind that I wasn't really supposed to be back there, and I didn't feel like trying to explain my behavior to a Trooper that, with my luck, was bound to show up :smile:

I realized I never provided a link to the NH DOT Hooksett rest area project web site. It isn't obvious to find...

http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations/turnpikes/ort/hooksett15970.htm
More speculation on the Northbound rest area. If you look at the NB site plan at that link, you'll see there's roughly 3 main parking areas:
#1 - Above the gas pumps, between the pumps and the highway
#2 - Below (east) the gas pumps, along the east edge of the lot
#3 - Above the buiding, between the building and the highway, where the old liquor store was. Not yet open (was being paved yesterday).

From my observations, area #1 is "overflow parking. " It is far from the building, and somewhat convoluted to get to. It doesn't seem to get used unless #2 is crowded. Right now, most people are parking in area #2, since it is the closest to the building and natural for pulling forward out of the pumps.

Past speculation is that the charging stations are going in area #2, in the south east corner. I suspect the contractors will not close off that area for parking until area #3 (old store) is open. After #3 opens, it should be more popular than #2 anyway, since it's closest to the building.

So I think northbound charging stations won't happen until parking area #3 is open, which should be imminent.

On the southbound side, the charging stations appear to be behind the building, along the west edge of the lot. This area is basically done. Access around the back of the building is limited by a gate, but I'd guess charging stations could be installed here at any time, since no one is parking there. All of the southbound construction currently is in the area of the gas pumps, the southern part of the lot, and the entrance ramp.

Ha! hj-45... my timeline is accurate if all goes smoothly. Just like any building project, when it comes to timelines... Sh!@ happens!. When my source says soon, its soon 90% of the time. btw...I should be at the championship parade right now! Although it is literally raining on their parade.

Any update on Hooksett?

Any update on Hooksett?

Thanks all to the informative posts on this thread. This station is so critical for the upcoming ski season. I'm hoping to get to Killington in a S60 from Boston. Killington does have destination charging at their Grand Lodge but it will be close at 165 miles in cold weather.

More speculation on the Northbound rest area. If you look at the NB site plan at that link, you'll see there's roughly 3 main parking areas:
#1 - Above the gas pumps, between the pumps and the highway
#2 - Below (east) the gas pumps, along the east edge of the lot
#3 - Above the buiding, between the building and the highway, where the old liquor store was. Not yet open (was being paved yesterday).

From my observations, area #1 is "overflow parking. " It is far from the building, and somewhat convoluted to get to. It doesn't seem to get used unless #2 is crowded. Right now, most people are parking in area #2, since it is the closest to the building and natural for pulling forward out of the pumps.

Past speculation is that the charging stations are going in area #2, in the south east corner. I suspect the contractors will not close off that area for parking until area #3 (old store) is open. After #3 opens, it should be more popular than #2 anyway, since it's closest to the building.

So I think northbound charging stations won't happen until parking area #3 is open, which should be imminent.

On the southbound side, the charging stations appear to be behind the building, along the west edge of the lot. This area is basically done. Access around the back of the building is limited by a gate, but I'd guess charging stations could be installed here at any time, since no one is parking there. All of the southbound construction currently is in the area of the gas pumps, the southern part of the lot, and the entrance ramp.

Any update on Hooksett?

Thanks all to the informative posts on this thread. This station is so critical for the upcoming ski season. I'm hoping to get to Killington in a S60 from Boston. Killington does have destination charging at their Grand Lodge but it will be close at 165 miles in cold weather.
No apparent changes either side last weekend (I didn't see a point in adding a "No changes" post).

On the northbound side, the new lot (where the old liquor store was located) is paved and opened. That appears to be the last of the paving northbound. All of the northbound exterior work seems done (except for charging stations, obviously). Construction has started on the interior of the diner, but there's still a ways to go.

I suspect Southbound is close to 2 months behind. The northbound gas pumps opened the third week of Sept, but they haven't gotten beyond the steel skeleton on the southbound pumps. There's also a fair amount of paving left to do there, too.

the drawings I posted were clear where the superchargers are going. I think the northbound will have ICEing issues due the the 'pull forward from gas pump' issue (perhaps tesla drivers need to wait in front the gas pumps until chargers clear (just kidding)).

southbound puts the chargers along the west edge away from almost everything. best location I could imagine there and has expansion space for other ev charging

Editing:
I just looked at the drawings. ICEers will almost have to turn across traffic to get to the superchargers. if any trucks are in the rest area they will visually shield the superchargers from entering cars. given the logical separation from other parking, this is probably as good a location as possible.

Last edited:
A reliable source has let me know that Hooksett is real and on its way.

I hope that it happens for you New England skiers! The I-70 Superchargers in Colorado serve the Northern Colorado ski area pretty well, but don't do much for the Southern Colorado ski areas. That is one of the reasons that I worked to get the 70 Amp J Plug installed in Salida, CO.

the drawings I posted were clear where the superchargers are going. I think the northbound will have ICEing issues due the the 'pull forward from gas pump' issue (perhaps tesla drivers need to wait in front the gas pumps until chargers clear (just kidding)).
At first, I thought this might be the case, but, if you visit the rest area in person, you'll see that it's probably not an issue.

Reference the site plan here: http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations/turnpikes/ort/documents/15970_nb_06262014.pdf

#1 - pulling forward from the gas pumps takes you into some straight ahead pull through parking spaces. You cannot pull forward to the curbing and park, or you will be blocking the drive through lane, which is already clearly marked/painted. No way anyone would park there (by the way, drivethough for what? There is a bank branch in the building, accessible from the rt 3A back lot - maybe this is for the bank? Possibly a drive through ATM?)

#2 - As you mentioned in your edit, the charging stations are in the spaces on the extreme lower left. People will have to turn right almost 90 degrees after exiting the gas pumps to park there. Then what? They will have chosen the one group of parking spaces furthest from the building. No one will do that.

#3 - The new(-est) lot between the highway and the building is huge (bigger then it looks at first, since it slopes downhill, and the back half isn't as obvious when you first pull in). People will park there.

Most people are fundamentally lazy, and will park as close to the building as close as possible to minimize their walk. Turning right out of the pumps to park in the spaces furthest from the building just won't happen (most, if not all drivers will be parking to go into the building). Well, unless they are deliberately trying to ICE a charging station...

Again, if you visit the northbound rest area, you can see where the charging stations will be located. The bump out in the curbing between the tan car and the start of the drive though (on the plan) is obvious in person. They have already planted the tree shown on the plan. From that it's obvious to see where the charging stations will be, and just how undesirable the parking will be to ICE drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Not disputing your source, but I do find all the "a trustworthly little bird told me" posts in this thread a bit amusing. What if you're all hearing from the same, not-as-reliable-as-you-thought birdie? :biggrin:

No one is posting their sources, so it's kind of like an unattributed quote in a paper.

OK, I'll stop s--t-stirring now... Although I do keep wondering why, if it's a done deal, there's no red dot on the supercharger map?

Last edited:
Not disputing your source, but I do find all the "a trustworthly little bird told me" posts in this thread a bit amusing. What if you're all hearing from the same, not-as-reliable-as-you-thought birdie? :biggrin:

No one is posting their sources, so it's kind of like an unattributed quote in a paper.

OK, I'll stop s--t-stirring now... Although I do keep wondering why, if it's a done deal, there's no red dot on the supercharger map?

+1
I have the utmost respect for all members on here, but until i see some concrete info (permits, red dot, no-bs confirmation from Tesla), I am a doubter.

Unreferenced sources are always a question, but I have NEVER referred to my source as a "little birdie." :wink:

The connection with this source started with my efforts to get some High Amp Level 2 (HAL2) EVSE's into the underserved 4-corners area. See 4 Corners EV Charging for some historical reference. This anonymous source had info on the 4-corners, S-turn, Supercharger Route that was about to happen and did not want me to waste my efforts getting HAL2 sites installed that were going to have Superchargers soon. There was no idea at that point in time that Superchargers were coming to the 4-corners area from any Tesla maps. This saga started my understanding that the Tesla maps are often just broad outlines subject to change. Tesla does not do much in the way of updating their maps or correct red dot locations.

The anonymous source gave me hints that were consistent with what popped up in the press about Farmington, NM (Farmington, NM Supercharger) and led to my discovery (Farmington, NM Supercharger - Pictures).

Since then almost all info from this anonymous source has proved correct, and I have had the chance to meet, putting a real face behind the info. Here are some of the hints that I have provided to TMC that have turned into reality.

Since those first charitable hints about the 4-corners, I have developed trust in, and believe the reliability of info from, this source, who must remain anonymous.

Use these tidbits that I am lucky enough to pass on, or not. Track the accuracy and judge for yourself. I believe the info to be good, and your cost is only the time it takes you to read TMC.

We all have to thank TMC, and the people behind it, for providing this great, independent forum for us to discuss our cars and all that goes to make them work!

Last edited:
that being said, I do wonder why this hasn't shown on Tesla's map. Perhaps the complexities of a full facility rebuild adds too much schedule uncertainty.

Since a year ago and the appearance of the 4-Corners S-Turn, and even back to the original announcement, Tesla has put broad ideas on the "maps" and implemented the details in other ways. Who knows why, but it is an established pattern.

Last edited:
#3 - The new(-est) lot between the highway and the building is huge (bigger then it looks at first, since it slopes downhill, and the back half isn't as obvious when you first pull in). People will park there.

Unreferenced sources are always a question, but I have NEVER referred to my source as a "little birdie." :wink:

I posted my source by name (in the OP!).

I hope everyone took my "little birdie" comment as intended - all in good fun. I appreciate all the hints and rumors posted.

I've driven by a few times recently. I'll confirm my theory up at the top - the new lot (where the old store stood) seems to be the popular parking spot northbound. Southbound is progressing (gas pumps and canopy installed). It looks like the paving southbound is mostly done - I wouldn't be surprised to see the southbound pumps open soon (although the store appears non-existent, so I don't know where you'd pay for gas in the short term - maybe pay-at-pump only for a bit?)

No sign of charging equipment, conduit, trenches, etc on either side.

(LMB spouse)

Today I was informed by a very reputable source (sorry, asked by source not to use name or affiliation) that Hooksett north and southbound are definite and will start "very soon". I assume very soon is even sooner than soon, but of course that's not very helpful. I do have high confidence that this site is happening.

I realize that these unnamed source references are frustrating, but I do trust the source.

(LMB spouse)

Today I was informed by a very reputable source (sorry, asked by source not to use name or affiliation) that Hooksett north and southbound are definite and will start "very soon". I assume very soon is even sooner than soon, but of course that's not very helpful. I do have high confidence that this site is happening.

I realize that these unnamed source references are frustrating, but I do trust the source.

Aside: LMB spouse posts more than LMB.

Thank you for the information.

(LMB spouse)

Not to be pessimistic but this is a bad time to start digging in NH.