Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone is just stealing cables, I would bet it's junkies looking to sell to a scrap dealer to fund their next fix. If someone is targeting the breakers like they did in Barstow, that's someone who is stealing them for some project and they know what they're doing.

There are still a lot of scrap dealers who don't ask where stuff came from, but I think more are asking questions in at least some parts of the country. There was a raft of metal thefts by junkies around this area about 10 years ago, but it dropped off, so I think the dealers are less likely to deal with people trying to get high.

I've heard in some parts of the country abandoned factories and houses that got foreclosed on during the housing crisis got stripped by people stealing the metal to sell.

There is a tremendous amount of scrap leaving the US for China. I rode Amtrak from Vancouver, WA in 2015 and while waiting on the platform for the train to show up I was watching the scrap yard across the tracks. Vancouver isn't a huge city (only about 100,000 people) and this may have been the main scrap yard for Portland, but I was struck at the scale of the operation. There were several mountains of scrap 50+ feet high. Large skip loaders were putting scoop fulls into shipping containers.

They also installed all new hinges and lock hasps. The original ones could be removed just by removing the mounting screws. The new ones are a security type. The mounting screws can not be accessed. There has been someone there quite a bit before Coachella. I think the security guard was "theft-triggered" just like at the other SCs.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
IMG_0644[1].jpg
IMG_0645[1].jpg
IMG_0647[1].jpg
IMG_0648[1].jpg
IMG_0649[1].jpg
Looks like they added 2 (3?) urban chargers to Indio. I put 3 with a question mark because the vehicle nav shows 10 not 11 and there are 8 standard SC’s already. The setup looks pretty janky and probably temporary for the holidays as the wire isn’t even inside any conduit and only wrapped with caution tape. I’ve never seen a hybrid standard/urban SC setup before which is why I came to post this. Pictures as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Looks like they added 2 (3?) urban chargers to Indio. I put 3 with a question mark because the vehicle nav shows 10 not 11 and there are 8 standard SC’s already. The setup looks pretty janky and probably temporary for the holidays as the wire isn’t even inside any conduit and only wrapped with caution tape. I’ve never seen a hybrid standard/urban SC setup before which is why I came to post this. Pictures as well.
They've been seen at a few other locations, both next to standard and urban stalls. A separate thread to discuss them was started in the Charging/Infrastructure forum:
Supercharger pallet - Triple urban SCs

(PS- Only 2 of the posts are actually energized at any install)

• Informative
Reactions: mikeyteh
Yes, I used these chargers in Indio (and Santa Ana as well). Only two are energized and they only deliver about 50kW each so they are really there as a last resort if all the other stalls get full (or I suppose if you would prefer to charge for 1-2 hours for some reason).

Reactions: David99
(Moderator note: this post and the reply to it were moved here from another thread in this forum)

BTW: I stopped at Indio for a charge last week. I did not take a photo, but there were fresh new external cables running from the cabinets to the charging stantions. Does anyone know what that is about? My car charged very quickly, even though someone was plugged into the B vs. me in the A spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: I stopped at Indio for a charge last week. I did not take a photo, but there were fresh new external cables running from the cabinets to the charging stantions. Does anyone know what that is about? My car charged very quickly, even though someone was plugged into the B vs. me in the A spot.
Are you sure those cables weren't just going to the temporary urban superchargers that they added there recently?

Also, you should probably ask this question in the Indio supercharger thread.

Were the new cables the same type as the other cables? Especially in warm climates where superchargers get a lot of use, Tesla replaces the charging cables more frequently than other places. I talked with a tech replacing cables at Manteca in 2016. He said the combination of hot weather and heavy use the cables were wearing out faster than Tesla anticipated. It was the primary reason for a lot of complaints of slow superchargers in California around that time.

I know they experimented with a liquid cooled cable at one supercharger location in the Bay Area, but I don't think that was expanded. They probably have come up with a new cable design for V3. If they have a new cable design, they may just be installing those when the old ones wear out.

Charged during Coachella. Lines up to 6 deep for the Indio Supercharger. The left station (southernmost) has a maximum charge rate of only 36 kW !!! The right station (northernmost) has a maximum charge rate of only 50 kW !!! The rest are 120 kW. The middle 120 kW one was broken when I was there.
A new Supercharger is planned for Indio, location unknown. This may be a temporary location until the new one opens.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Charged during Coachella. Lines up to 6 deep for the Indio Supercharger. The left station (southernmost) has a maximum charge rate of only 36 kW !!! The right station (northernmost) has a maximum charge rate of only 50 kW !!! The rest are 120 kW. The middle 120 kW one was broken when I was there.
A new Supercharger is planned for Indio, location unknown. This may be a temporary location until the new one opens.
The temporary urban superchargers max out at 50kW. This is a known fact and has been mentioned in this thread.