Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Site visitors....please look for and photograph the transformer.. or at least it's location; future location. (it is usually placed on a pre-poured pad, somewhat near the supercharger pedestals.) The transformer always seems to be the critical, delaying link --in new supercharger installations. .... and lots of pictures of daily progress too.. thanks! I'll do the same when I'm traveling in the area! This site, once completed, will make traveling along the Tesla Supercharging Network a breeze! I-10 is used by many Tesla Model S owners.. I'm adding my hooray ....that this site has broken ground!

Not sure how it works for SCE, but in San Diego the transformer isn't installed until AFTER all the customer work and trenching is done and signed off. So it would be a little backwards to see the transformer installed before the rest of the job is complete...At SJC, the utility work was all done in one day (fuse cabinet, running wire through the conduit to the 12kV source, mounting and wiring up the transformer and fuse cabinet)...

Drove by there today. Not much progress. Great location though. Plenty of parking so ICEing won't be a problem and lots of option for coffee and food.
20140518_152535.jpg

Haha, I was there today too and it was exciting to see it up and running. This pic is funny because my Jeep is in the background, haha. I guess I saw you too David. You had that silver tesla right? Can't wait to get mine, hopefully in a few more months. I actually live in this area and just purchased solar for my future Tesla.

Haha, I was there today too and it was exciting to see it up and running. This pic is funny because my Jeep is in the background, haha. I guess I saw you too David. You had that silver tesla right? Can't wait to get mine, hopefully in a few more months. I actually live in this area and just purchased solar for my future Tesla.

Small world! If you happen to see the contractors out while you're there, be sure to ask where they're going next. Thanks for the updates in advance.

SC Canopy

No shades for the AZ chargers... I doubt Indio will get one to start...

Get a windshield shade and turn on the cooling from the app ~15 min before its done charging...

Have a HeatShield and it works great but I'm worried about what happens in my trunk(s). How much does the charging slow down if you're using AC at the SC? Has anybody done that calc?

Have a HeatShield and it works great but I'm worried about what happens in my trunk(s). How much does the charging slow down if you're using AC at the SC? Has anybody done that calc?

AC Power is a couple of kW at most. It's unclear if the Supercharger adds that power to what is delivered to the car, keeping the power to the battery constant, or if the charging slows down slightly. I believe it is the former or you could never finish a 100% charge. Either way, a couple of kW is very small and almost in the noise compared to Supercharger charge rates.

I just turn on the heat or cool, and don't worry about it. Using shore power to precool or prewarm the car can help extend your range; save the battery power for driving!

No shade at any the AZ Superchargers that I visited. Will be fun in August. I recommend using the App to turn on the Climate Control while you Supercharge. Power is not an issue, but the heat pump capacity might be challenged keeping the batteries and interior both cool while charging in the summer, desert sun.

Hadn't thought about heat pump. Good consideration. I'd consider 85-90 degrees a cool interior while charging.

AC Power is a couple of kW at most. It's unclear if the Supercharger adds that power to what is delivered to the car, keeping the power to the battery constant, or if the charging slows down slightly. I believe it is the former or you could never finish a 100% charge. Either way, a couple of kW is very small and almost in the noise compared to Supercharger charge rates.

I just turn on the heat or cool, and don't worry about it. Using shore power to precool or prewarm the car can help extend your range; save the battery power for driving!

Haven't we shown that it sends a constant power to the battery and then tacks on some extra for the rest of the car? I seem to remember seeing the power on the display spike for a brief second after turning A/C off at the SC.

Yes, silver Model S. :) I saw you walking around. I figured you must be on this forum!

BTW, good idea about asking the contractor what their next site will be.