Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The District certainly leaves a lot to be desired and I agree, the traffic patterns there pretty much suck. The parking lot adjacent to Tustin Ranch Rd. closer to Barranca (out past JT Schmidt's) is pretty frequently wide open and empty, however. It might make a decent spot for say, 24 urban Superchargers.

As far as freeway proximity goes, the Tustin Market Place off Jamboree and the 5 would be the best, but even it gets pretty congested traffic-wise and again, we're talking about The Irvine Company... Donald Bren is the type who'd want the Tesla Superchargers illuminated in green instead of red so it matches the parking lot aesthetic...

Spectrum is really easy to get in and out of from the 405 side, if you stick to the outer loop. 5 is tougher, but still pretty easy from outer loop. Just DO NOT go into the structure areas or parking lots. The corner where the 405 and 5 meet seems perfect for chargers.

District is a nightmare to get out of.

Reactions: DDotJ
I wouldn’t be surprised if the city itself is the holdup. Irvine’s construction projects are slow as molasses unless it’s for new real estate development. China will have finished building their gigafactory before Irvine finishes widening University Drive.

Sorry, rant over. Still hoping for something to pop up at the Spectrum!

• Funny
Reactions: DDotJ and jowaldo
I am hoping for a SC in Irvine and I would prefer it not be in a Irvine Company property. Many people in Irvine have a low opinion of them, including myself. Its a shame, there are good spots near Great Park off the I-5 fwy. Irvine Valley College area is good too, or near John Wayne Airport. I just don't understand the push back for SC in Irvine, there are a ton of Tesla's there and the area is a SC vacuum.

I believe the bigger challenge is the Irvine Company, which owns the Spectrum. There is usually a premium cost to any business wanting to lease property, or in this case space. There is a slim chance that Irvine gets a SC and an even slimmer chance that it would be on Irvine company property.

This is the most accurate thing I've read all day.

Look what I found:

Permit

Right off Jamboree on the 405. Address is:
3021 MICHELSON DR
IRVINE, CA 92612

Looks like this might be the anticipated Irvine, CA supercharger location.

Here's another permit:
Permit

Address for that permit is:
1970 MAIN ST
IRVINE, CA 92614

This wants to be here, I think.

The links don't work for me, though.

I looked your two links up manually and took a screenshot:

main.png
michelson.png

wouldn't be too odd for california. The 2 superchargers in burbank are the same.. and also the 2 in downey..
I guess so, but in the case of Burbank (not sure about Downey) it was an early Supercharger station that was a bit too small and overrun by demand and couldn't be expanded. It looks like in Irvine two stations are simultaneously being built next to each other.

Although to be fair there are a ton of Teslas in Irvine, I could definitely see multiple stations in the area. I just thought the second station would either be along the I-5 or even in East Irvine by Spectrum.

Also found a few more details on the Michelson Dr. location. Not terribly much info but the permit shows the size as 29 spaces. Probably doesn't mean 29 stalls though...

5c4xTng.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde