Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it in August 2019 in my 2016 S90D, 100% range = 273, with 6% degradation. Left Canmore at 100%, then, I spent a few hours charging via Level 2 (87% to 92%) in the Lake Louise area, and made it to Jasper. I arrived at the destination charger at Sawridge Inn with 15% left. Did some small side trips on the Icefield Parkway. I kept an eye on my destination percentage but it was fine.

There's a ChaDeMo Station (with a small detour) here:

Reactions: Xelloss99
I'd like to see Tesla try one off-grid Supercharger somewhere (like Crystal Springs, Nevada). A megapack and a lot of solar panels. Starlink for wifi.

It's only about 50 km from Sask. Crossing the Bighorn Dam Hydroelectric station on Lake Abraham. Let those electrons flow! Megacharger for Semi/RVs :D

Bighorn | TransAlta

That's over 1.21 GWs right up in there!

Cheers!

Last edited:
My 2016 MX has a 100% max range of 257 miles when new. After 90,000 miles my 100% range is now only 243 miles. I had planned for only a one day trip. The nearby L2 chargers around Lake Louise are not public and did not want to drive at 55-60 mph. I'll have to wait next time and upgrade to a model with 300+ miles with the 4680 battery pack. Thank you all for the tips.

I just found on Plugshare.com that there are 2 Tesla L2 and 2 J-1772 chargers in Lake Louise which are not shown on Tesla.com/findus. Next time I need to search both websites.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
At a driving distance of 308 km, would this be the most isolated supercharger in North America if it were active today?

The adjacent two Superchargers aren't completed yet so the current distance using a Supercharger map will not be complete.

(Distances below just city to city from Google maps not considering Supercharger location)

Prince George BC to Jasper AB on TC-16: 375 km (PG finished construction, awaiting transformer)

Jasper AB to Edson AB on TC-16: 164 km (Edson not started yet)

Golden BC to Jasper AB via TC-1/Icefield Parkway: 309 km

Jasper AB to Canmore AB via Icefield Parkway/TC-1:
311 km

The adjacent two Superchargers aren't completed yet so the current distance using a Supercharger map will not be complete.

(Distances below just city to city from Google maps not considering Supercharger location)

Prince George BC to Jasper AB on TC-16: 375 km (PG finished construction, awaiting transformer)

Jasper AB to Edson AB on TC-16: 164 km (Edson not started yet)

Golden BC to Jasper AB via TC-1/Icefield Parkway: 309 km

Jasper AB to Canmore AB via Icefield Parkway/TC-1:
311 km

Supercharge.info:
Prince George BC to Jasper AB on TC-16: 379.5 km
Jasper AB to Edson AB on TC-16: 164.3 km
Golden BC to Jasper AB via TC-1/Icefield Parkway: 307.9 km
Jasper AB to Canmore AB via Icefield Parkway/TC-1: 309.7 km

There's a ChaDeMo Station (with a small detour) here:
Yup, saved my butt last October when we drove from Toronto to Vancouver via Jasper. Finally :)

Reactions: Artful Dodger
That comment didn't make sense to me until I tried it in ABRP with my vehicle. It is < 200 miles but a bit of a climb during parts of it.

G0Cwgfb.jpg

RHB7Leq.jpg

Probably but Prince George and Soldotna are even more isolated!
IMO, the kicker for Jasper seems to be the elevation changes and the impact to Wh/mi | Wh/km

nmpDlyu.jpg

FYI Prince George, BC superchargers are done and waiting for power (same with Quesnel, Williams Lake and Cache Creek) so you should be able to get from Jasper to Vancouver on superchargers once these are turned on!
I'm not sure that is such an easy first leg!! It is only 233 mi [ 375 km ] but there is some up and downhill.

ABRP thinks my 2017 100D X would be short 21% SOC. I also tried a 2020 TM3 LR that wouldn't make it.

Jasper AB to Prince George BC

NSoQ9zD.jpg

aR6GUKV.jpg

Reactions: PStewart
I'm not sure that is such an easy first leg!! It is only 233 mi [ 375 km ] but there is some up and downhill.

ABRP thinks my 2017 100D X would be short 21% SOC. I also tried a 2020 TM3 LR that wouldn't make it.

Jasper AB to Prince George BC

NSoQ9zD.jpg

aR6GUKV.jpg
How fast do you have your speed set at?

I'm not sure if it's user error or what but I am always seeing people post stuff from ABRP that doesn't make any sense.

It wouldn't be an easy leg, but you should be able to make it in a X100D, especially going downhill (net). You'd have to be launching at every opportunity to come up 21% short.

How fast do you have your speed set at?
I'm not sure if it's user error or what but I am always seeing people post stuff from ABRP that doesn't make any sense.
It wouldn't be an easy leg, but you should be able to make it in a X100D, especially going downhill (net). You'd have to be launching at every opportunity to come up 21% short.
My reference speed is 100% which means driving the speed limit. My battery setting is 340 Wh/mi which I just set to the X standard but I think I typically get 370.

I realize there is downhill in net but you only get like 70% back from going up and then down a hill with regen. ABRP estimates > 100 kWh usage.

Regen usually loses around 10-20% of the energy being captured, and then the car loses another 10-20% or so when converting that energy back into acceleration, according to Tesla. ... This simply means that 70% of the kinetic energy lost during the act of braking can be turned back into acceleration later.

Here is my result after changing my Wh/mi to 340 from 370 I think.

100 kWh @ 414 Wh/mi

TrPKqz5.jpg

My reference speed is 100% which means driving the speed limit. My battery setting is 340 Wh/mi which I just set to the X standard but I think I typically get 370.

I realize there is downhill in net but you only get like 70% back from going up and then down a hill with regen. ABRP estimates > 100 kWh usage.

Here is my result after changing my Wh/mi to 340 from 370 I think.

100 kWh @ 414 Wh/mi

TrPKqz5.jpg
Just posting more ABRP numbers doesn't make them start to make sense :)

I'd be very confident I could make that drive in an X100D even with a 5-10% degraded battery as long as it was summer and I was going in the downhill direction. Just drive 50-60mph, go easy on the HVAC, and drive during the warmth of the day. I believe the speed limit is only 100kph on that highway.