Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that with a smaller battery Tesla you could do a slight detour to Field to the BC Hydro charger along the way if you have a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter.
Do note that after charging in Field, there’s a large climb (420m) to get back to Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93 to Jasper) turnoff. I speak with the experience of someone who has climbed/descended this by bicycle many times.

Just posting more ABRP numbers doesn't make them start to make sense :)

I'd be very confident I could make that drive in an X100D even with a 5-10% degraded battery as long as it was summer and I was going in the downhill direction. Just drive 50-60mph, go easy on the HVAC, and drive during the warmth of the day. I believe the speed limit is only 100kph on that highway.
I'm confused. How do you account for the up and down elevation? You mentioned 'net' but ignored my pertinent comments about only get like 70% back from going up and then down a hill with regen. Perhaps you are mainly accounting for going under the speed limit.

I know you travel a lot in a more efficient Model S but I'm curious what your kW/mi are in mountainous areas? (ie. Rocky mountains in CO, MT, WY or Glacier National in Canada).

In ABRP I also add in weight for a 2nd person, luggage, my small fridge, etc so 200 lbs. I'm sure folks traveling to/from Jasper will not just be driving solo so I think this is more realistic.

I realized we are a tiny bit off topic of the thread but I think it is relevant as people will be wanting to travel to/from Jasper from a couple directions.

I have made it to Jasper in one charge from Prince George, BC starting at 100% charge and driving the speed limit.
Thanks and TIA for the following. What are you driving and what was the Wh/mi or km? Passengers? How much extra weight would you guess you had in your car?

Did you happen to take a picture of your energy graph? I only ask because I was thinking you were a YTer or travel logger. Sorry if my aging memory is failing me.

Thanks and TIA for the following. What are you driving and what was the Wh/mi or km? Passengers? How much extra weight would you guess you had in your car?

Did you happen to take a picture of your energy graph? I only ask because I was thinking you were a YTer or travel logger. Sorry if my aging memory is failing me.
I drive a Model 3 AWD Long Range (max 518 km). I have driven over 400 km in a single charge from Prince George, BC through the Pine Pass (north) to Dawson Creek and still have > 10% charge left, this is all documented on my youtube channel (Tesla Prince). for Wh/km i believe it was 170-180. I've driven multiple times from Prince George to Calgary (via the icefields hwy) and its usually no problem (I drive from Jasper to Canmore).

Just posting more ABRP numbers doesn't make them start to make sense :)

I'd be very confident I could make that drive in an X100D even with a 5-10% degraded battery as long as it was summer and I was going in the downhill direction. Just drive 50-60mph, go easy on the HVAC, and drive during the warmth of the day. I believe the speed limit is only 100kph on that highway.
The speed limit is 90 km/h (~55 mph) on the Icefields Parkway other than some slower sections near park gates, intersections, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV

There's no cell service south of Jasper until the Highway 1 junction other than a bit around Lake Louise, so tools like TeslaFi or TeslaMate won't have charting information. Jasper to Saskatchewan Crossing is uphill, and Saskatchewan Crossing to Canmore is downhill. The energy graph only averages a max of 50 km so it will matter which section you take the photo on, I have a photo south of Lake Louise but that doesn't do any good in this context as it is on the downhill section. Though using a trip meter and resetting it at one end and getting the average on the other end would get an average over the trip but I didn't think to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
There's no cell service south of Jasper until the Highway 1 junction other than a bit around Lake Louise, so tools like TeslaFi or TeslaMate won't have charting information. Jasper to Saskatchewan Crossing is uphill, and Saskatchewan Crossing to Canmore is downhill. The energy graph only averages a max of 50 km so it will matter which section you take the photo on, I have a photo south of Lake Louise but that doesn't do any good in this context as it is on the downhill section. Though using a trip meter and resetting it at one end and getting the average on the other end would get an average over the trip but I didn't think to do that.
Good points. In my travels, I have been in a few places that lose my TeslaFI data due to AT&T Tesla coverage.

I'm looking forward to visiting Jasper and would hope to be able to do the loop (below)

I was thinking about the energy app Trip tab vs the Consumption tab.
NUsVBnx.jpg

qb4VUUp.jpg

I drive a Model 3 AWD Long Range (max 518 km). I have driven over 400 km in a single charge from Prince George, BC through the Pine Pass (north) to Dawson Creek and still have > 10% charge left, this is all documented on my youtube channel (Tesla Prince). for Wh/km i believe it was 170-180. I've driven multiple times from Prince George to Calgary (via the icefields hwy) and its usually no problem (I drive from Jasper to Canmore).
I have the same car, only 500km range being a 2018.
I’ve done Canmore to Jasper on one charge no problem.

I'm confused. How do you account for the up and down elevation? You mentioned 'net' but ignored my pertinent comments about only get like 70% back from going up and then down a hill with regen. Perhaps you are mainly accounting for going under the speed limit.

I know you travel a lot in a more efficient Model S but I'm curious what your kW/mi are in mountainous areas? (ie. Rocky mountains in CO, MT, WY or Glacier National in Canada).

In ABRP I also add in weight for a 2nd person, luggage, my small fridge, etc so 200 lbs. I'm sure folks traveling to/from Jasper will not just be driving solo so I think this is more realistic.

I realized we are a tiny bit off topic of the thread but I think it is relevant as people will be wanting to travel to/from Jasper from a couple directions.
I generally travel solo, but I'm a big guy so probably similar weight to the average couple. The kW/mi question is too broad and unnecessary imo. For the sake of comparison, I think it's better just to use rated miles (or kilometres) as they normalise for the different models. I also think the up and down factor of mountain traveling is generally overrated as a battery drain. Basically every mountainous drive has up and down like this. There could be some extreme examples, but this isn't one of them. One thing I do keep in mind is big elevation climbs just prior to a supercharger. If the supercharger is in a deep valley, sometimes you only need to make it to the top of a hill or mountain pass and then you gain more range with the regen prior to getting to the supercharger. I've encountered this at the Dalles, OR (coming from the south) and Baker, CA (coming from Vegas).

Anyways, I'm not saying this is an easy drive by any means. But an X100D in summer with a driver that is paying attention should be able to make it. If it were a performance version or had the bigger tires that would be a lot tougher. And of course a lot of weight or a headwind would be a problem too. It's definitely a lot different with a large family and all the gear than it is as a solo driver or even a couple. There's also a lot more downside risk when you have the whole family.

Reactions: scottf200
More photos from site, from Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta Facebook group.

According to one comment
"I spoke to the crew and they said they'd be finishing the install in Jasper in the next couple of weeks, and then off to install Edson. No estimate for operational date though!"

Attachments

• 235102426_10222120267690368_6241689855947567020_n.jpg
    235102426_10222120267690368_6241689855947567020_n.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 234566299_10222120268410386_2253150477037925098_n.jpg
    234566299_10222120268410386_2253150477037925098_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 234663681_10222120268770395_436869003059737831_n.jpg
    234663681_10222120268770395_436869003059737831_n.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 234918079_10222120267930374_5856435195913084500_n.jpg
    234918079_10222120267930374_5856435195913084500_n.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 234837126_10159569338709726_7887493910825892551_n.jpg
    234837126_10159569338709726_7887493910825892551_n.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 66
More photos from site, from Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta Facebook group.

According to one comment
"I spoke to the crew and they said they'd be finishing the install in Jasper in the next couple of weeks, and then off to install Edson. No estimate for operational date though!"
Awesome to see! Funny they say no estimate for operational date. If not BC Hydro then I wonder who certifies/turns on AB chargers.

Because we all know BC Hydro is lagging behind turning on these chargers haha

Awesome to see! Funny they say no estimate for operational date. If not BC Hydro then I wonder who certifies/turns on AB chargers.

Because we all know BC Hydro is lagging behind turning on these chargers haha
Atco covers the areas where the Jasper, Vegreville, and Lloydminster Superchargers are going in. I'm guessing Epcor will probably be covering the Edson area.

Atco already installed the Jasper transformer even before the Supercharger install.