Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kennebunk, ME (I-95 NB and SB service plazas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such thing as off peak in Mass. It's a fixed rate. There is National Grids piece which is 14.6 cents per KWh and the supply charge which for me is 10.5 cents, that's 25.1 cents. Don't know where you are getting a 44 cent number from.
Sorry - to be clear, I'm referring to the rate Tesla charges for supercharging. Tesla has just recently started applying variable rates to many superchargers across the country, including Massachusetts.

There is no such thing as off peak in Mass. It's a fixed rate. There is National Grids piece which is 14.6 cents per KWh and the supply charge which for me is 10.5 cents, that's 25.1 cents. Don't know where you are getting a 44 cent number from.
You quoted a supercharger price of .41 cents in KB and said MA was .21.

Unless you were comparing apples to oranges (supercharging vs. home charging)

Supercharger prices in MA are more expensive than ME.

You quoted a supercharger price of .41 cents in KB and said MA was .21.

Unless you were comparing apples to oranges (supercharging vs. home charging)

Supercharger prices in MA are more expensive than ME.
The subject was people using Superchargers instead of charging at home. I quoted the Maine Supercharger price vs the Mass home price. Roblab was claiming that Superchargers are busy because people are using them instead of home charging. I disputed this especically in the case of the Kennebunk Superchargers which are located on 95

Kennebunk is in a service plaza on an Interstate, nobody is charging there who isn't traveling. It costs 41 cents per KWh at Kennebunk vs 25 cents at home in Massachusetts. Not only does it cost much less to charge at home then it does at a Supercharger it's also vastly more convenient. Superchargers are for traveling and everyone at the Kennebunk Supercharger was clearly doing that, yesterday there was only one Maine plate all of the rest were from Massachusetts and New York

Yes, and if all of those New Yorkers and Massachusetts would just charge at home, Kennebunk would be a lot less busy, just like Rob said. ;)

When I said off-peak, I mean off-peak in terms of Tesla charging utilization, not utility pricing. I think Tesla has started to charge a premium during heavy use times to perhaps increase revenue and/or attempt to balancing charging utilization to off-hours. Only Tesla knows for sure though.

What's up? All shown out of order? Is there some kind of work going on?
Screenshot_20240307_115233_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: kayak1
Hopefully they are upgrading it from V2 to V3 or V4. Now that they've opened up the Supercharger network to non-Teslas they need to get rid of the V2s especially at locations as important as Kennebunk. V2s will create confusion when CCS drivers find out their adapters don't work.

Reactions: kayak1
Hopefully they are upgrading it from V2 to V3 or V4. Now that they've opened up the Supercharger network to non-Teslas they need to get rid of the V2s especially at locations as important as Kennebunk. V2s will create confusion when CCS drivers find out their adapters don't work.
The charger in Wells is not too far from Kennebunk and it is much faster. Kennebunk does have convenient bathrooms and a super overpriced Burger King.

Reactions: jsight
The charger in Wells is not too far from Kennebunk and it is much faster. Kennebunk does have convenient bathrooms and a super overpriced Burger King.
I drive this segment regularly and I've tried both Wells/Saco and Kennebunk when on my southbound leg. I find the few minutes saved by the V3 chargers at Wells and Saco compared to the rest area V2s sort of gets eaten up by time lost at the traffic lights on each of those spur exits. Both Saco and Wells also get you an extra $1 for Turnpike reentry as well. Overall, there is no clear cut winner timewise so lately I've been opting more for staying on the Turnpike in the rest area and taking a few minutes rest. My father was a Burger Kind franchisee years ago too so BK has a soft spot in my heart, even if this one is overpriced. What I do wish about the Kennebunk BKs is that they had BK mobile app access. I've never known a McDonald's or Chik-Fil-A to opt a location out of the brand app*, so there's another marketing and operational reason BK is dwindling away, I guess.

*I have known a few Dunkin's to be off the app, however.