Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passed by today. I asked the workers that were there and they confirmed that it was for a Tesla Supercharger station with at least 40 stalls. Trenches were there, no conduits yet. Main building looks like it is being framed on top of old structure.

IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_9324.JPG

Passed by today. I asked the workers that were there and they confirmed that it was for a Tesla Supercharger station with at least 40 stalls. Trenches were there, no conduits yet. Main building looks like it is being framed on top of old structure.

View attachment 248243 View attachment 248244
Thank you for sharing the picture and update @Ervic. Nice to see that work is progressing. This SC site will definitely help us all in the LA-SF areas road trip. One site at a time and 5 or 10 years from now, they'll ubiquitous. Just like gas stations.

If only I could make it from Irvine (O.C) on to Kettleman on one charge - 235 miles!! Is that too risky with a X90D? 257 mile rated range?

Guess I need to get a 100D to make that trip!
I think you'd need an S100D and a full charge to make that trip without having to think. An X100D would be reasonably but you might not be able to go over the speed limit depending on the ambient temperature.

You can make it if you can handle driving slowly. Otherwise, time to upgrade!

I cruise at 80 MPH during my SF road trips on the I-5. Maybe a few minutes at Buttonwillow and I can have it done in 2 stops? Kettleman to SF is still 209 so I would need a 3rd stop at Gustine or Dublin.

I wasn't able to do the stretch from Harris Ranch to SF which is 183 on a single charge.

Normally I just do two stops at Buttonwillow and Gustine but if Kettleman has some nice accommodations I would do it as a 3rd

Why does Tesla still not show this as a future supercharger site on their map?

Tesla rarely, if ever, shows the exact location of their upcoming Superchargers. The current map shows a bunch of new locations, but you'll note that they are usually located in some city center, which is not where the actual Supercharger will be built. Historically Tesla neither confirms nor denies upcoming Superchargers. The ones near San Diego had significant construction delays and I think Tesla would rather not have a hundred people asking "Is it ready yet?" for six months...

Reactions: KJD
Popped by today and shot a pano from the hill next door and above. Shows the status of the site pretty nicely. I'd guess there were 30 guys on site and several pieces of heavy equipment in motion. I beam pillars for what I assume are going to be solar canopies over the charging spots seem to be placed. The stand-alone bathroom building is on the right. The taco truck pull through is on the left side of the lounge building to the left.

Attachments

• kettleman pano 0917.jpg
    kettleman pano 0917.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 99
If you're right, that all the I-beams are for solar canopies, it will be interesting to see how they install panels on the row closest to you in the picture. That row of beams runs directly North-South.

Interesting point. Of course my guess that they are solar canopies is just an extrapolation from the architectural concept drawings that Tesla released along with their 'big superchargers coming' press release. In those drawings it looked like they weren't concerning themselves with sun angle, though of course that's hard to know. It'll be interesting if they turn out to be solar to see if Tesla prioritizes architectural appeal over panel efficiency, or vice versa.

If you want rain protection as well as solar power collection then you'd need something to supplement the panels to fill in the gaps between adjacent tilted segments. Maybe you'd do a flat roof with spaced, angled panels tilted south. But if all you want it sun protection then I suppose doing putting spaced angled arrays in to capture maximum sun would also provide near maximum sun shading as a side benefit.

In any case, they are putting in some kind of substantial overhead structure right where the charging spots are. Kind of makes sense that you'd cover those with solar panels. Will be fun to see it come together.

I drive past that location a couple of times a month. Maybe I'll make a habit of updating this shot each time I go by.