Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my test drives at Montgomery Mall Tesla store. There were lots of people coming to use the SC and wall chargers. One guy wouldn't let me and the Tesla guy start the test drive because he wouldn't stop talking to us about the Model S. :) It is known location and not far off I495. Easy to get to. I wish they were expanding Montgomery Mall. I guess they figured that the Woodbridge and Montgomery Mall locations were to close together and one had to go. Seems a waste since the two SCs are already there.

That is odd you have to pull straight in. I don't think I've seen pics of a SC before where you pulled in. Every picture I've see people backed in.

It's not too uncommon. Strasburg, VA and Savannah, GA are two others like this which come to mind. It's easier for people to park. The main downside is that they're difficult to plow when it snows. Not a problem when it's in a garage like this one, but Strasburg was difficult to use for a couple of weeks after the big blizzard this winter.

Reactions: Mknac
Front in Superchargers are easier to use with a bicycle rack on the trailer hitch, and are more obviously refueling stations to ICE drivers who are used to their gas pumps being on the side of the car rather than behind it.

If the lighting is inadequate, perhaps Tesla can upgrade it in the area immediately around the Superchargers.

Front in Superchargers are easier to use with a bicycle rack on the trailer hitch, and are more obviously refueling stations to ICE drivers who are used to their gas pumps being on the side of the car rather than behind it.

If the lighting is inadequate, perhaps Tesla can upgrade it in the area immediately around the Superchargers.

I called Tesla SC support and reported that fencing off the area behind the chargers and increasing the lighting would be a good idea...we'll see. you can see the one light in the photo. There are only two of these for the whole row of 8 stalls.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 77
Not sure why this thread has turned into a safety debate but I have attached photos of both malls using a crime app. Purple dots show a crime over the past 5 years and when you click them it tells you the time/date/crime committed. I have lived in P.G. County my entire life and I can't say every city is safe at night but I consider the location of this SC as safe as most I have been to. As you can see Montgomery Mall has had nearly the same amount of crime over the same time span.

Attachments

• 20160802_152959.png
    20160802_152959.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160802_152912.png
    20160802_152912.png
    99 KB · Views: 66
Thanks @Bremerton99 for bringing some impartial data to the discussion.

I've lived in Maryland all my life as well. I grew up in PG County and lived in Laurel for a while, 10 minutes down 198 in Russett, a nice community. There are certainly areas of PG County that have issues with crime - it borders NE DC. Laurel is not in that part of the county. There are also parts of affluent Montgomery County that have issues.

I've been to this area many many times with no issues whatsoever. Exercise the same caution you would anywhere.

I've lived in Maryland all my life as well. I grew up in PG County and lived in Laurel for a while, 10 minutes down 198 in Russett, a nice community. There are certainly areas of PG County that have issues with crime - it borders NE DC. Laurel is not in that part of the county. There are also parts of affluent Montgomery County that have issues.

I've been to this area many many times with no issues whatsoever. Exercise the same caution you would anywhere.

The SC is really on 4th street and Greenhill. it is the neighborhood behind it that is interesting. It got better after they tore down the 3 low cost living high rises. The mall in front of the SC is very safe and well patrolled with LOTS of good options.

I agree, Laurel is generally safe, but the crime "heat map" behind this SC is RED.

The map's a little hard to read, but isn't the supercharger located right about where the 20 in the black circle is? Green in front where the shopping area is, yellow (which is close to green on the color scale they show) in the residential section on the other side. Or am I mis-reading it?

I have also lived in Maryland all my life. I actually graduated high school from Ft. Meade High School which services that area. I also lived in Russett about a year or two ago. I can say that there is no reason to be any more concerned with being a victim of a crime there than at the Montgomery Mall site.

I don't understand why people jump to conclusions constantly.

I've lived in DC my entire life. Been mugged 2 times, neither of which in DC, or the DMV area for that matter. Once in NYC and once in Philly. My car has been broken into once in the almost 30 years I've lived in the area, and again, not even in the DMV. It was broken into in West Virginia. Also, not my Tesla, one of my previous vehicles.

People are so quick to judge. Why not just relax, and IF something happens, then complain? Sorry that everywhere isn't a rich white community for you to feel comfortable in. But again, a few people give a whole area a bad rep.