Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a towncenter near burtonsville and few of the folks gather every sunday and showcase there cars - old classic, mid classic and new. if any of you want to join please do so sunday morning 7AM - 11AM. few of them have requested a SC in that town center or the one across the st. it will be a while before its up (if that) but that would be a good spot as that will help people going up and down rt.29 and from laural to rockville

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondDave
thanks for the update. I am new to SC.. picked up MS two weeks ago. whats the idea behind 1a, 1b,1c etc??

A supercharger is a group of a dozen charger modules like the one in your car, hooked up to utility high voltage power and connected in parallel to a pair of cords for you to plug in to your car.

If one car is already drawing a lot of power, and then you plug in to the other side of that unit, it can only give you what's left over.

In an installation with six pedestals/cords, there are three stacks of chargers, 1 connected to 1a and 1b, 2 connected to 2a and 2b, etc.

So if there are cars charging at 1a and 2b, you would get more power faster if you plugged into one of the two "3" chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Odebek and Mknac
There is a towncenter near burtonsville and few of the folks gather every sunday and showcase there cars - old classic, mid classic and new. if any of you want to join please do so sunday morning 7AM - 11AM. few of them have requested a SC in that town center or the one across the st. it will be a while before its up (if that) but that would be a good spot as that will help people going up and down rt.29 and from laural to rockville

Where Squisito and Greene Turtle are? I've seen car shows there from time to time but I didn't realize it was an every Sunday thing. I'll have to check it out soon. Just show up? Thanks for the tip!

I wouldn't hold my breath on a supercharger so close to Laurel. I've suggested to Giant that they install an EVSE. They actually have parking set aside for low emissions vehicles. The spots are usually occupied by SUVs! :rolleyes:

I think you meant either up and down Route 29 from Silver Spring to Columbia -or- E-W on 198/Norbeck Rd/First St from Laurel to Rockville.

Congrats on your Model S!!!

Reactions: Masti
Not sure of Tesla's logic in closing Montgomery Mall SC when Laurel opens. Off the top I just thought it was because of the proximity of the Woodbridge, Va SC. However, just reviewing SC locations there are many areas where multiple SCs are relatively close to each other. So the locations of Woodbridge and Montg Mall I'm going to guess wasn't really a factor in Tesla's decision. Still seems to me they are there so just keep them.

Not sure of Tesla's logic in closing Montgomery Mall SC when Laurel opens. Off the top I just thought it was because of the proximity of the Woodbridge, Va SC. However, just reviewing SC locations there are many areas where multiple SCs are relatively close to each other. So the locations of Woodbridge and Montg Mall I'm going to guess wasn't really a factor in Tesla's decision. Still seems to me they are there so just keep them.

There isn't enough room or power to expand it. The temporary install is already under powered. IMHO, better to eliminate it completely then have a location that is a constant source of frustration.

Last edited:
There isn't enough room or power to expand it. The temporary install is already under powered. IMHO, better to eliminate it completely then have a location that is a constant source on frustration.
+1 It has been labeled "temporary" from the beginning. There was some talk of relocating it to a location that would actually allow multiple, functional stations, but... although they thought that was do-able for a while, it's fallen through every time. If Elon is serious about offering unlimited supercharging for M3s though, we're going to need something pretty substantial in this area.

Reactions: vdiv and Mknac
Is anyone else worried about the possibility of ICEing at the location of these spots? I would consider these spots a prime location for the Regal Movie theater and some ICE drivers might take offense to having to find a further parking space. I'm sure the location of the SC was very limited but I wish they could have found a spot further away from in my opinion the nicest movie theater in MD. If you have never been there do yourself a favor and check it out.

Reactions: Mr So Chill
I need some support from Tesla owners. Before i purchased the car, i had called BGE (electric provider) to inquire about the rates for charging at home. They told me about off peek and on peek rates. well today, after i signed-up and registered my car, i call them to make sure everything is in there system and i am on that plan where i pay 0.07/kw on off peek vs 09 on peek. I know the numbers are not that off so the saving is not huge, but, it turns out i am not on that plan. she mentioned, there is a no incentive to sign up for that plan b\c the blended rate i currently have is 0.9/kw and if i had "pay for time of use" plan it would be 0.07/kw for off peek and 0.12/kw for on peek( higher than what i currently pay) - which makes no sense. This would indicated that buying electric car is a mistake from BGE point of view. Right?

My question to all the MD residents is - what is your current setup with BGE (if you have them) and weather or not the information i got was correct or a straight by lie (i think its a lie and ill call back in few hrs)?

Where Squisito and Greene Turtle are? I've seen car shows there from time to time but I didn't realize it was an every Sunday thing. I'll have to check it out soon. Just show up? Thanks for the tip!

I wouldn't hold my breath on a supercharger so close to Laurel. I've suggested to Giant that they install an EVSE. They actually have parking set aside for low emissions vehicles. The spots are usually occupied by SUVs! :rolleyes:

I think you meant either up and down Route 29 from Silver Spring to Columbia -or- E-W on 198/Norbeck Rd/First St from Laurel to Rockville.

Congrats on your Model S!!!

I feel your pain with the Giant parking - i have a hybrid and now a tesla (which i wont park there). i have spoken to the Giant Store Manger and the owner\company who owns ths property but still they wont give a contract to a towing company to start taking cars away...

would love to see someone get towed from either EV or baby parking spots -

I need some support from Tesla owners. Before i purchased the car, i had called BGE (electric provider) to inquire about the rates for charging at home. They told me about off peek and on peek rates. well today, after i signed-up and registered my car, i call them to make sure everything is in there system and i am on that plan where i pay 0.07/kw on off peek vs 09 on peek. I know the numbers are not that off so the saving is not huge, but, it turns out i am not on that plan. she mentioned, there is a no incentive to sign up for that plan b\c the blended rate i currently have is 0.9/kw and if i had "pay for time of use" plan it would be 0.07/kw for off peek and 0.12/kw for on peek( higher than what i currently pay) - which makes no sense. This would indicated that buying electric car is a mistake from BGE point of view. Right?

My question to all the MD residents is - what is your current setup with BGE (if you have them) and weather or not the information i got was correct or a straight by lie (i think its a lie and ill call back in few hrs)?

This thread really isn't the right place for this discussion - you'll get much better answers by starting a new thread for your question.

What you're describing sounds like how time of use plans normally work - you pay less than the blended rate when the power company has lots of excess power, and more when they don't.

There's no reason for them to offer you a plan with only savings in it. By giving you the time of use differential, they encourage you to use more power when other people aren't.

Whether time of use makes sense for you depends on how you use electricity. If your car will usr a lot of power (ie you have a hundred mile commute or just really like driving,) and you don't have many loads during the day, it can be a pretty good deal.

If you always keep the house at 70 (meaning loss of air conditioning consumption during peak hours) and don't drive much you might pay more under time of use.

This thread really isn't the right place for this discussion - you'll get much better answers by starting a new thread for your question.

Or you might want to check (and possibly resurrect) one of these (from the Mid-Atlantic forums, versus this group):
Dominion EV charging plans
PEPCO electrical rates - MD
BGE Schedule EV discussion

FWIW, my impression is that electrical companies feel threatened by solar and EVs (because they're greediots) and so they talk legislatures into approving plans that make no sense for anyone so they can come back and say "gosh, we tried and nobody is interested" and then will have an excuse to drop the whole idea.

Reactions: DiamondDave