Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why inyokern makes sense, it's out of the way for everyone coming from la unless it's right off the 14, everyone coming from San diego has Rancho Cucamonga to fill up with, wouldn't a full charge from there get you to lone pine easily? From Hawthorne its like 209 or 215 to LP... I'm gonna try it still! Can't freaking wait
From Rancho Cucamonga to Lone Pine it's about 193 miles, plus elevation gain. Lone Pine is at about 4000 feet. In addition, there's the climb over Cajon Pass. Even with a range charge, you'd have to be careful. And don't forget about the possibility of high winds. Another SC is needed in the middle.

From Hawthorne, not only is the distance greater to Lone Pine, you're starting from a lower elevation (close to sea level). We don't need a West Coast Broder to try it, run out of charge, and write a bad story about Tesla.

From Hawthorne its like 209 or 215 to LP... I'm gonna try it still! Can't freaking wait
You may want to think twice about that. Check out the route on evtripplanner. There are significant elevation gains along the way, and if it's cold out (30's or 40's in the winter), the drain will be even higher (well, if you use the heat). Even if you keep the heat off and drive at average speed, you need about 250 rated miles to make the trip from Hawthorne.

I'm not sure why inyokern makes sense, it's out of the way for everyone coming from la unless it's right off the 14, everyone coming from San diego has Rancho Cucamonga to fill up with, wouldn't a full charge from there get you to lone pine easily? From Hawthorne its like 209 or 215 to LP... I'm gonna try it still! Can't freaking wait

1) Inyokern is hardly out of the way from the 14 (even if it's next to the airport), but Mojave is definitely way out of the way for anyone taking the 395 which would be at least half of SoCal
2) Yes, please try to drive to Lone Pine from Rancho or Hawthorne/LA. You can go first. Post back here and let us know how that goes.

1) Inyokern is hardly out of the way from the 14 (even if it's next to the airport), but Mojave is definitely way out of the way for anyone taking the 395 which would be at least half of SoCal
2) Yes, please try to drive to Lone Pine from Rancho or Hawthorne/LA. You can go first. Post back here and let us know how that goes.

+1 on what cb17 said. Inyokern is very close to the 14 395 junction. For trips from LA, SD, or OC the inyoKern location would make them all possible in an 85. Mojave would be great also.

Can you guys tell me what a west coast broder is? Apparently I am one.... Ok how about the subway shop right past the 14/395 going north? After hearing the mileage from Rancho to LP seems both routes are too tight. I live in San Clemente and can go either way on freeways, I just prefer the LA route. Wherever they put it I'm gonna be excited, Driving my suv up here is not cheap, plus I can't stand driving anything else other than my p85. West coast border signing out...

Can you guys tell me what a west coast broder is? Apparently I am one.... Ok how about the subway shop right past the 14/395 going north? After hearing the mileage from Rancho to LP seems both routes are too tight. I live in San Clemente and can go either way on freeways, I just prefer the LA route. Wherever they put it I'm gonna be excited, Driving my suv up here is not cheap, plus I can't stand driving anything else other than my p85. West coast border signing out...

Gotta brush up on your Tesla history: Public Editor Slams NY Times Tesla Story, After Overcoming | ThinkProgress

That's a great suggestion. Outside of Ridgecrest, the Subway in Pearsonville is probably the least offensive food stop for miles around. It avoids the 14/395 conflict by being a short distance beyond the merge.

Can you guys tell me what a west coast broder is? Apparently I am one....
I apologize, as it wasn't my intention to be snippy to you and I should have been more careful. I was expressing the concern that if Superchargers along a popular route are spaced just beyond reach without hypermiling, that some journalist will try driving the route, run out of charge, and make Tesla look bad as happened on the DC <--> Boston corridor in the "early days".

In particular, many drivers (which includes some journalists) are not all that aware of elevation differences and can easily get into trouble when they under-estimate the amount of charge needed on a route with elevation gain. With an ICE and abundant gas stations, it's an easy mistake to fix. One day, if all goes well and Superchargers become more prevalent, the same will be said of Supercharger-enabled traveling.

I hope you enjoy driving your Model S up the 395 and leaving the ICE at home. I look forward to doing the same in a Model X one day.

Last edited:
CB/TJ, there is quite a climb from the junction of SR14 and US395 to ascend into Lone Pine. It would be problematic from Hawthorne/Culver City in summer, and likely impossible in winter or for 60s. (I have said a few times on this forum that Victorville makes more sense for Lone Pine access for those on Interstate 15, and would also relieve some pressure at Barstow since Primm could be reached under most conditions.) There is more stuff at Victorville than at Inyokern.

Mojave seems to make perfect sense. As it is now, Harris Ranch to Barstow is nearly impossible unless one hypermiles most of the way. Mojave also allows people coming from the Valley (like yours truly) to reach Barstow or the Eastern Sierra conveniently.

In order of preference FOR ME:
  1. Mojave
  2. Pearsonville
  3. Inyokern

For those in a 60, Pearsonville is tight at about 203 RM from the Hawthorne SC, given an outside temp of 45 degrees. If there are headwinds, or lower temps, that could make things tougher. Inyokern, under similar conditions, is only slightly better, at 189 RM. A little more palatable, but still could be tough in a 60 given the infamous headwinds along that route, and sometimes temps even much lower.

Mojave is easy to reach in a 60, from Hawthorne or anywhere in West L.A.. As much as I want Mojove, it just does not help those coming from the direction of the IE.

Perhaps another charger is needed at the intersection of the 58 and 395 (close to Victorville). I've only driven that highway once. Is there anything there? Google maps shows nada.

Inyokern makes Mammoth 1 stop from anywhere in SoCal.
As I was hinting at above, I am not so sure. I too thought Inyokern would be ideal. A 60 can make it to Inyokern, but may have to hypermile on the way there. If it is cold out and there are headwinds, the range needed to get to Inyokern from Hawthorne exceeds 210 rated miles. That could be an anxiety provoking drive. In my 85, Inyokern is just fine.

Yosemite would only need a 5 minute top off at LP at worst
Do you mean to get to Lee Vining? That would need about 140 RM. Just a bit more to get to the gate. But what about the miles needed to return? Where would you charge up there?

Inyokern makes Mammoth 1 stop from anywhere in SoCal. Yosemite would only need a 5 minute top off at LP at worst

Not sure what you mean by "Yosemite" (Yosemite valley?). Inyokern to Lee Vining would take about 59kW but I don't think you could keep going on to Yosemite valley with the remaining range. If you started with a full charge at Lone Pine you could make it to Yosemite valley but then of course you would need to find a place to charge there and options are very limited.

From Lee Vining to the Yosemite entrance gate is 12 miles but up a very step mountain (3116 feet elevation change, 30RM). It's mostly downhill from there to the valley where there is charging.
I still think a SC in Lee Vining would be best since it would complete the route up 395 to Tahoe as well as a gateway to Yosemite park.

Sorry, I meant the next supercharger would be Inoykern. It's a 2 for 1 deal, whereas Mojave would only serve part of SoCal. Obviously, we really need a SpC every 100 miles, and Mojave, Palmdale, Bishop, etc would make sense eventually (just like we now have Primm, which isn't technically required).

But yes, Inyokern would enable all of SoCal to easily get to Mammoth and Yosemite via LP and eventually Lee Vining. So that'd be my vote.

From Rancho Cucamonga to Lone Pine it's about 193 miles, plus elevation gain. Lone Pine is at about 4000 feet. In addition, there's the climb over Cajon Pass. Even with a range charge, you'd have to be careful. And don't forget about the possibility of high winds. Another SC is needed in the middle.

From Hawthorne, not only is the distance greater to Lone Pine, you're starting from a lower elevation (close to sea level). >>
EVTripplanner.com, which allows for all altitude changes, says it is an easy 146 RM Hawthorne SC to Barstow SC without even stopping at Rancho Cucamonga.
It says Barstow SC to Lone Pine is 166 RM, or 188 RM with 40 F outside temperature. I understand another SC somewhere closer would be more convenient and save some miles, but for now this is a perfectly safe way to get up 395 as far as Lone Pine. Beyond Lone Pine you need overnight charging.

If your destination is Mammoth, with their new snow, Plugshare is showing that the Westin Hotel has charging:
3 tesla 80 amp chargers and two clipper creek all in valet lot

Lone Pine to Mammoth is 136 RM, allowing for uphill grade and 35 F outside temperature.
It would be great to see someone do this trip soon after Lone Pine SC is online and report it here.

Last edited: