Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lowell, AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I understand that the roll-out of V3 chargers has been slow - maybe supply challenges - so rather than wait they may have installed V2 chargers instead.

That's not how it works. They spec out a site and obtain all the permits and such for the type of charger that they will be installing months before any of the actual work gets started. It would therefore take them months of effort to go back and change the type of charger that they were going to put in. So what they plan is what they install. Which is why many locations still got V2 chargers when the V3 ones started to roll out. Tesla was not about to go back through all the planning and permitting stage with local municipalities/governments to change the charger type. Which again means...they install what they planned to install.

That's not how it works. They spec out a site and obtain all the permits and such for the type of charger that they will be installing months before any of the actual work gets started. It would therefore take them months of effort to go back and change the type of charger that they were going to put in. So what they plan is what they install. Which is why many locations still got V2 chargers when the V3 ones started to roll out. Tesla was not about to go back through all the planning and permitting stage with local municipalities/governments to change the charger type. Which again means...they install what they planned to install.

Ah, ok.

Thanks for the explanation, that’s helpful. My understanding is that V3 chargers were planned for this location so hopefully that’s what’s been installed.

Reactions: IT Geek
I'd prefer a SuperCharger in Alma versus Ft. Smith. A Fort Smith station (if it's in town) is inconvienient from the interstate. And even a Van Buren location on I-40 is out of the way for travel between NW Arkansas (home of Univ. of Arkansas, Wal-Mart, Tyson, Hunt Trucking, and Crystal Bridges) and Little Rock (Capital city). Most traffic heading south on I-49 from NWA heads east on I-40. If you're wanting to go to OKC from NWA, you're going to take Hwy 412 towards Tulsa. Even if you were headed west from the I-49/I-40 interchange, Alma would only be a 2 mile detour vs a 10 mile detour for most traffic headed east.
I agree, outstanding position for Supercharger, 150 miles to LR SC and 205 to OKC SC. Alma is one mile East of US49N, Easy on/off East/West, many sites to choose from, hotels, travel centers, and food outlets.

Still wasn’t active yet this afternoon.
I stopped by Lowell SC about 2:00pm, Jake, the pump manager at the Woodman’s Travel Center told me the SC should be functioning later this evening,(waiting on a part).
01B474FC-112A-49D5-8C3B-F6682E7BAE43.jpeg
01B474FC-112A-49D5-8C3B-F6682E7BAE43.jpeg

Attachments

• 74524165-5C42-42B4-A590-0CCD03022F7A.jpeg
    74524165-5C42-42B4-A590-0CCD03022F7A.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 43
There are several V3 installations here in Washington state. The grills on the top of the cabinets are the dead giveaway that it's a V3 site. Have someone go over and look at the cabinet data plate. You should find "Output Power 250 kW" on the data plate. And OBW, it's "up to" 250kW. The one I used last weekend (North Bend, WA) is still not delivering anything near 250kW. I was at 46% state of charge, 44 degrees F. and I had preconditioned the battery in a LR Model 3. I got 76kW. The next guy who tried got 80kW. I know you really need this facility so enjoy it when it comes online.
Tumwater4.jpg

Reactions: Ryefry and gbailey
I don't know if this bodes well for this location, but when I checked it on Sunday, it already had two spots ICE'ed with huge pickup trucks. And yes, its not online yet. The owner of this location might have to put out cones to train people.
The good news is it is at a truck stop and people aren’t going far or staying long so should clear right up when this happens.