Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Macon, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: This message was merged from a thread started in the Model Y forum.

Returning from a 4800 mi. trip to Colorado ABRP said to charge in Macon. Directions took me to the Supercharger. Not paying much attention, I got out and plugged in. Screen took a few seconds to announce that the station was not powered. I moved to a different Charger, no joy. The STATION was not powered, none of the units worked at the only supercharger in Macon. I went to a destination charger at a nearby motel, 6 miles per hour of charge. Had 100 miles to go to another charger.....
I had put more in the battery at the stop previous to Macon than ABRP said to so it looked like I could make it there if I went slow and turned everything off. Which I did.
I then got behind a slow moving semi and followed him until he hit a weigh station. Made it to the next Supercharger with 2 percent left.
I don't know why the station in Macon was not powered, but there was no way to warn others, no way to "call it in".
It seems this incident should be unusual, anyone have a similar story?

In the future, I would rely more on the car’s navigation system than ABRP. The car’s navigation system would have shown you that the original downtown Macon location was closed and that there was another Supercharger location just seven miles up the road. You probably could have made it there on the charge you had rather than waiting at the motel’s destination charger.

I was in my 2021 MYLR navigating from St Simons to Northwest GA yesterday. The normal route is to Metter, Ga along I-16 for a short charge, then to Macon, GA for a slightly longer charge. Problem was, when I got to Macon, all but one of the chargers were down with at least 4 cars waiting ahead of me. I had to go to a local hotel and charge long enough to get to McDonough, GA about 50 miles further north of Macon. I could have easily charged in Metter for a few more minutes and had plenty to make it all the way to McDonough w/o the hotel visit. But that's now that the navigation suggested.

So the question is - does the navigation monitor this kind of stuff? Maybe Macon went down after I left Metter, who knows?

Anyone know how long the Macon chargers were down?

The navigation does monitor the status of superchargers, in fact, I was on a road trip recently and a supercharger that I was navigating to that was 2 hours away went down. A message popped up on the screen letting me know a supercharger was offline and the car navigated to a different one. My guess is the system isn't perfect, or maybe the chargers went down right before you got there.

The other thing I worry about is while I'm sure Tesla has the ability to monitor many aspects of the availability of each stall, I suspect there are other times when it cannot. For example, when the problem with a stall is a broken connector, or there is a piece of equipment or something blocking a parking spot, or anything else that is not remotely detectable. I do wish they would make it easier to report an outage from the car, otherwise a site with just one broken stall but a queue of 5 vehicles waiting to charge may appear to Tesla that the site is not at full capacity.

Reactions: mociaf9
The last time we took a road trip I started checking on the upcoming SCer and about 50 miles out the little SC ballon was GRAY and displayed a WRENCH. Luckily Lousiville had a second SCer we re-routed to. Of course, it was almost FULL but being a V3 it was no big deal. BTW that SCer (with a history of issues) was down for OVER 24 hours.

Per multiple reports on Plugshare and social media, the Macon Tom Hill Blvd site was badly impacted over the last couple days, with only 1 or 2 of the stations working and people waiting in line.

Someone also created a new thread here: Macon, GA Superchargers out of order yesterday?

I'll ask the mods to consider merging it. If they do, you'll see the posts from that thread appear above this one, due to the datestamps.

Per multiple reports on Plugshare and social media, the Macon Tom Hill Blvd site was badly impacted over the last couple days, with only 1 or 2 of the stations working and people waiting in line.

Someone also created a new thread here: Macon, GA Superchargers out of order yesterday?

I'll ask the mods to consider merging it. If they do, you'll see the posts from that thread appear above this one, due to the datestamps.
I was through Macon yesterday and typically visit the Macon Tom Hill Blvd V2 site as it is safer and remember the old coliseum site was being decommissioned, I was surprised when NAV re-routed me to the old Coliseum charger as Tom Hill was in high demand, I ignored the re-route and went to Tom Hill where the whole site appeared to be working very poorly. I was able to charge for a few minutes at 123kW (at 10% SOC) which was strange as I was sharing with another owner, I was on stall 2b and he was on 2a, then suddenly i dropped to 38kW, which was painfully slow. I left and stopped at McDonough v3 site and charged for 5 minutes at approx 180kW. I hope we can upgrade Macon Tom Hill site and/or get the Dublin location up and running. For Atlanta based folks Albany makes alot of sense coming and going as it is approximately halfway to numerous locations along the coast of SC and GA.

I was through Macon yesterday and typically visit the Macon Tom Hill Blvd V2 site as it is safer and remember the old coliseum site was being decommissioned, I was surprised when NAV re-routed me to the old Coliseum charger as Tom Hill was in high demand, I ignored the re-route and went to Tom Hill where the whole site appeared to be working very poorly. I was able to charge for a few minutes at 123kW (at 10% SOC) which was strange as I was sharing with another owner, I was on stall 2b and he was on 2a, then suddenly i dropped to 38kW, which was painfully slow. I left and stopped at McDonough v3 site and charged for 5 minutes at approx 180kW. I hope we can upgrade Macon Tom Hill site and/or get the Dublin location up and running. For Atlanta based folks Albany makes alot of sense coming and going as it is approximately halfway to numerous locations along the coast of SC and GA.
They just started construction

...remember the old coliseum site was being decommissioned, I was surprised when NAV re-routed me to the old Coliseum charger as Tom Hill was in high demand, I ignored the re-route....
Wait the "old Coliseum charger" in downtown Macon is still in operation? I thought it was dismantled and removed. It doesn't show on Tesla or Supercharger.info. So Tesla navigated you to it? That seems strange since no one has reported going to it in a loooooong time. Wish you had checked.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
They just started construction
What just started construction? We know about Warner Robbins and Albany. As far as we know nothing is happing in Dublin or it would be posted on the Dublin tread. Know @ChrisC is always checking and on stays top of it by calling the local permit office. I'm going that way Saturday so I will stop and look and take pics if there is ANY evidence of action.

Please clarify your statement.

They who/where?
Sorry, I'd tried to reply on my phone and edit down the quoted text. I tried to switch to desktop mode and it lost my post so I gave up not realizing that it would post something accidentally.

What I was trying to write is that they've just started construction in both Fort Valley at the Buc-ee's as well as Albany. Albany is not on a interstate but the Buc-ee's is and I think it will take a lot of pressure off of Macon since it's V3 and 16 stalls. I-75 users will be able to bypass Macon completely on I-475.

Those of us travelling between Atlanta and Savannah might still use Macon but I'd really prefer Dublin to get moving. The fact that the other two new superchargers popped up out of the blue tells me that it's not really Tesla dragging their feet in Dublin but more likely a local issue with the property owner.

Those of us travelling between Atlanta and Savannah might still use Macon but I'd really prefer Dublin to get moving. The fact that the other two new superchargers popped up out of the blue tells me that it's not really Tesla dragging their feet in Dublin but more likely a local issue with the property owner.
I agree. Permit status for over a year now and clearly a hole that needs to be filled.

1659533719166.png

Wait the "old Coliseum charger" in downtown Macon is still in operation? I thought it was dismantled and removed. It doesn't show on Tesla or Supercharger.info. So Tesla navigated you to it? That seems strange since no one has reported going to it in a loooooong time. Wish you had checked.
Yeah, I was traveling with the family otherwise I might have stopped and checked, I was pretty sure this site no longer exists.

Reactions: JulienW