Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could also charge at Manteca and then take SR88 directly off SR99 and bypass US50 and Echo Summit. EVTP indicates that with 900 pounds of payload and 28 degrees that would take about 220 RM. If you think you will run short, there is an 80A HPWC in Minden.

Yeah I could, but from Manteca is about 35 miles longer than from Folsom. Also, no need for the Minden HPWC since the Gardnerville SC is open!

Anyway, I was specifically talking about the Gardnerville-Mammoth leg, which is about 100 miles each way. Round-trip in winter conditions will take over 240 miles of rated range, so definitely need to charge in or close to Mammoth at some point.

Thanks for the tip on taking 88 all the way though, I agree it's more pleasant than 50 and would definitely take it all if all else was being equal! (mainly road conditions).

I stopped by the Mammoth supercharger construction yesterday - 2 guys working - looks like electric is near done and they were cleaning up site / getting ready to repave. Here is a picture. I think it is more than a week away from being done.

IMG_0071.JPG

Thanks for the picture. It is interesting to see it with all the snow melted. Looks surprisingly close. The wall enclosure is now up. Paving is fast, but then stripping needs to happen. Though if powered, that won't stop me from using it!
Could be ready any day, but doubtful for this weekend. Anything is possible though!

You could also charge at Manteca and then take SR88 directly off SR99 and bypass US50 and Echo Summit. EVTP indicates that with 900 pounds of payload and 28 degrees that would take about 220 RM. If you think you will run short, there is an 80A HPWC in Minden.

SR88 is usually an easier drive than US50 (in my view :smile:) and there is much less traffic. Driving past Kirkwood, Silver Lake, Caples Lake and into Hope Valley is much prettier than the same old same old along US50.

Of course this time of year weather and road conditions are important. Caltrans keeps 50 plowed from Twin Bridges to Meyers more frequently than they do SR88. And there are intermittent closures of 88 near Kirkwood for "avalanche control" during snowstorms. But all else being equal, I would always fancy 88 and Carson Pass over 50 and Echo Summit.
Ain't that the truth. Unless I was sure that it wasn't going to snow, I wouldn't count on 88 to get over to the east side without planning on delay. The road gets closed at the north end of Kirkwood ridge (just west of the junction) any time there's significant snow, as the slope overhangs the road. If you're trying to get back westbound, it's usually easiest to pull into the Kirkwood Inn bar/restaurant near the X-C center and have a meal, because it's going to be an hour or three while they shoot the slope and then clean up. Eastbound you're screwed, and either sit on the road or turn around and head back down to Silver Lake or further to wait it out.

I came up last night in a crazy snow storm. We got stuck in 2' of snow due to the blowing snow. 1/4 mile from our condo. :(

While we were digging the car out we noticed the front wheels don't always spin in comparison to the rear wheels. Really needed the all wheel drive to put power to both wheels at the same time.

Slip Start

I came up last night in a crazy snow storm. We got stuck in 2' of snow due to the blowing snow. 1/4 mile from our condo. :(

While we were digging the car out we noticed the front wheels don't always spin in comparison to the rear wheels. Really needed the all wheel drive to put power to both wheels at the same time.

Did you try the slip start to see i that would change how traction is applied? I've been curious to see if this would help in that situation as it's designed to. I've never been stuck in the snow to give it a try.

Supercharger - Mammoth Mountain (under construction)

It's a setting in the driving controls (accessible via the center screen). Here is the relevant section on page 56 from the owner's manual, quote:
"The traction control system constantly monitors the speed of the front and rear wheels. If Model S experiences a loss of traction, the system minimizes wheel spin by controlling brake pressure and motor power. By default, the traction control system is always active. Under normal conditions, it should remain active to ensure maximum safety.
On standard (single motor) Model S vehicles, traction control can be turned off at any time. Turn it off only in circumstances where you deliberately want the wheels to spin, such as when Model S is stuck in snow or mud.
On a dual motor Model S, you can enable slip start to allow the wheels to spin at a limited speed. Slip start can be enabled only when Model S is moving 20 mph (32 km/h) or slower. Slip start automatically disables when the speed exceeds 40 mph (64 km/h)."

Do you have air adjustable suspension? That might have helped although with 2' of snow you really need a snow plow.

I haven't seen the site in person, but the photos look like Petaluma, which has that general layout (pull-in + back-in). It'd be interesting to see how they paired the stalls.

Looks like the typical gas station layout with two stations in line and approaches on both sides. "Pull up to the forward pump, please." That way one can charge on each side and a Model X with trailer (Mammoth Lakes is a mountain vacation town, after all) can charge without unhitching.

That is great news. I know I will be found eating a pastrami sandwich at Nik-n-Willie's while the car charges.

Over Christmas break I drove through 4 inches of snow with my D and Nokian R2 19" tires. I didn't raise the suspension. Not even a slip or slide in my last two trips. And we had a good amount of snow each time while I was there. I know it's counter intuitive to drive 300 miles on dry pavement with snow tires just so you don't have an issue in the last couple of miles. But I highly recommended those tires if you are looking for a unique option. I plan on putting the 21s back on when Mammoth closes in August :)