Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: please keep posts in this thread focused issues specific to the Mammoth Supercharger. If you want to discuss issues about traveling on the I395 east of the Sierras, or about home charging, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum (not the California Superchargers forum). Thank you.

Oops sorry, I think I just contributed to non-SC charging topic at Mammoth.. in my defense however, I did mention the SC and provided info on where to charge should the SC be down or not practical, so I think it's still relevant to this thread :)

The winds picked up and it became a true nail biter.
Wind is the variable that's not in those charts which are quite accurate in estimating impact upon range of speed, temperature and altitude change. My second trip in late April 2016 with high winds used 351 miles of rated range between Glendale and Lone Pine.

My other 4 trips have used 270, 273, 298 and 303 miles of rated range for that same stretch.

Fortunately since I am retired we drive to Mammoth during the afternoon and charge the car shortly after we arrive while eating dinner at Roberto's or some other place within walking distance. Depending on how long we are in Mammoth I may do a top off charge the night before we drive home.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Charged here tonight while having dinner at CJ's. Nice to get a rapid charge for the first time, probably since my battery wasn't cold and it was 40 degrees out (as opposed to single digits when I typically charge here).

When I arrived, I was the only car there. When I returned, there was only 1 other vehicle charging. I was parked in 2a. Of all 7 free spots available, he took 2b. Probably not a member of this forum...

I was in Mammoth last week and my fiance took my car over to charge while she went for a spa treatment (Healing Arts Center. She said it was nice). She had great difficulty getting the car to charge. Each time, she got an orange light. She is very much a technophobe, but there was another driver there that helped her, who also had the same issue. That driver left and she took over his spot and it worked, though quite slow, even though it was a balmy 35 degrees outside.

I did not call Tesla, as I was not there and did not have any specific details to share. I am curious if anyone else had an issue there.

I was in Mammoth last week and my fiance took my car over to charge while she went for a spa treatment (Healing Arts Center. She said it was nice). She had great difficulty getting the car to charge. Each time, she got an orange light. She is very much a technophobe, but there was another driver there that helped her, who also had the same issue. That driver left and she took over his spot and it worked, though quite slow, even though it was a balmy 35 degrees outside.

I did not call Tesla, as I was not there and did not have any specific details to share. I am curious if anyone else had an issue there.

Interesting, I’ve had trouble with orange lights at different locations when it’s cold out. But when it was much colder. Around 10-20F.

Heading up tomorrow and though I would go to Anthony's while charging.
I went to their website and this is what I found. Love it.
upload_2018-3-16_19-15-2.png

HIt up this SC last weekend! It was my 1st trip to Mammoth with the S and wanted to test range with Ski Racks and Skis on top. Made it from San Clemente -> Mohave -> Lone Pine -> Mammoth. Toppped off at the Mammoth SC when we pulled into town (Only one person there). We stayed on the mountain at the Mammoth Mountain Inn, so no destination charging. Topped off again on the way out and had some FroYo at a place called froyo and coco (they have hot coco and froyo) its a nice little family run shop.

Its a nice Supercharger and much needed for those who head up and do not have destination charging while staying in town.

• Funny
Reactions: McManX
At Mammoth now. 4B has a bad handle and won’t insert. I plugged into 2B and, being the idiot that I am, walked away and went to dinner without checking the charge rate. I am the only one here and got a measly 23kW on a very low SOC and a warm battery. I moved after about an hour and now getting 83kW.