Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Minocqua, WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
- Link to permit history of parcel
- PDF of initially denied supercharger application, including site plans
- PDF of Public Hearing announcement for Tesla's appeal of their initial zoning denial

What: Tesla plans to install 8 V3 superchargers in the overflow lot next to Trig's supermarket in Minocqua, WI.
Address: 8700 Blumenstein Rd, Minocqua, WI 54548

GPS: 45.887409, -89.720831

Tesla was originally denied a zoning permit for the superchargers was was able to successfully appeal that decision in early November (this confirmed via talking to the county planning office). So, their plans are back on and moving forward for the Minocqua supercharger. They should be into the application process for building permits soon if not already. Since this location isn't yet on Tesla's online map, we don't have any indication yet for when to expect construction might start.

1639607686989.png

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

This is kind of a weird location. Would have thought they would focus on US-2 or US-8.
Minoqua/ Woodruff is a popular tourist destination area in Northern WI. This location had the highest vote total when when TOC of WI members were asked to suggest new locations in WI by the Regional supercharger team about a year ago. At the time, there was some talk of partnering with Trig’s grocery and that they also had a potential Trig’s location in Rhinelander, WI further east. I’ve also heard the SuC Team is looking at a possible location further south in Stevens Point, WI. The team is also looking for a partner on the US 53 corridor between Eau Claire WI and Duluth, MN. 159 miles between SuC’s. Convenient locations are very limited North of Rice Lake, which is still 95 miles from Duluth. Trego, WI is halfway between EC and Duluth. But they only have one viable location,The Trego Travel Mart. Getting them to host a SuC installation could be challenging, but would be the perfect location. I drive this corridor weekly for work, but not in my Model 3.

Last edited:
Minoqua/ Woodruff is a popular tourist destination area in Northern WI.
This is definitely the reason for this location, IMO. Lots of Chicagoan vacationers to the Minoqua area. With this one in progress, we'll probably see Sturgeon Bay this year too finally as it too would be to serve vacationers. However, this one does also help link Duluth to Wausau, especially with a supercharger added to Ashland (WI) or Ironwood (MI), whereas Sturgeon Bay rally only serves the Door County peninsula and so is a dead end charger.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
O.M.G. Didn't know this was coming! Solves SO many of my travel problems getting into The U.P. This is the ideal location for travel that way!

Now just get on in Houghton and wow! (Really, I don't need in Houghton as have Level 2 at our cabin up there, but good for others to get to Houghton and then get back out to Marquette or this one in the cold and snowy winter.)

This is a much needed location! Happy to see it nearby Trigs too. Just picked up my Model 3 LR last fall, and had already made a couple trips up that way before it got too cold. I don't think it would be possible to make the trip up there in the winter time given the reduced range. Wausau is around 150 miles from Minocqua round trip so that would be a hard press in the winter time.

Reactions: GeeDoes
This is a much needed location! Happy to see it nearby Trigs too. Just picked up my Model 3 LR last fall, and had already made a couple trips up that way before it got too cold. I don't think it would be possible to make the trip up there in the winter time given the reduced range. Wausau is around 150 miles from Minocqua round trip so that would be a hard press in the winter time.
I do it quite a bit, to Eagle River, but I have a 30amp at the cabin. If I didn't have that I'd go sit at Three Lakes winery and charge on their 60amp chargers.

I do it quite a bit, to Eagle River, but I have a 30amp at the cabin. If I didn't have that I'd go sit at Three Lakes winery and charge on their 60amp chargers.
Yeah having charging at the cabin is nice. I have 110V at 20A, so it isn't too bad (8 mi/hr). Would like to get 240 setup in the garage, but it's my in-laws cabin so its a lot harder to get done than I would like. Though, usually once I am up there it is for a few days at least. We don't use the car much other than taking trips into town. So it gets a lot of charging time while we're there. Though I am hesitant to take it in the winter, as most of the charging energy would probably go right to keeping the battery warm, rather than actually charging.

Reactions: omartin30