Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA (EXPANDED Dec 2021, 6 V2 + 4 V3 + 2 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, does the plan call for all V3 and anybody hearing anything on when this could be done?
If you look just a few posts above, there are the 6 original V2 stalls, and permits in place for the expansion to 2 Urban's and 4 V3's. Kern is waiting for several inspections (flood, fire, etc). The fire certification was the most recent update, on 9/24.
What happens to the rest of the charges is anybody's guess. Since they only added 6 stalls, the same as the original, my guess is that this is going to stay this way for a while. A complicating factor is, last I checked, this property is for sale. Now that I think about it, having a bunch of Tesla charges on the property ( = increased business) is a good selling point.

Since those mothballed v3 Superchargers have been sitting wrapped up for well over six months, I would propose that the description in the title referencing planned expansion be removed. It is too easy to become optimistic that "any day now, Mojave will have four new v3 Superchargers."

Once we see the expansion underway or once permits have been issued, by all means, change the title. And if the property is for sale, there is no assurance that any prospective new owner will accede immediately to this expansion unless a contract is in place that is binding upon the buyer.

Just my way of thinking . . . .

Since those mothballed v3 Superchargers have been sitting wrapped up for well over six months, I would propose that the description in the title referencing planned expansion be removed. It is too easy to become optimistic that "any day now, Mojave will have four new v3 Superchargers."

Once we see the expansion underway or once permits have been issued, by all means, change the title. And if the property is for sale, there is no assurance that any prospective new owner will accede immediately to this expansion unless a contract is in place that is binding upon the buyer.

Just my way of thinking . . . .
I respectfully disagree. Everything is built, not just a plan. The permitting is well underway, with activity as recently as 7 days ago, and just 30 days before that. I think the description is spot on. Once Tesla gets them the updated requested certificates, it can open with a switch.

Reactions: Zoomit
Just checked the county website. Absolutely zero activity over the past month. They are waiting for the same inspections. Mammoth opens in 3 days. Hope they get on this soon.
I was incorrect with my last post. There has actually been plenty of activity, including as recently as 10/28/2021 (4 days ago). It looks like all the requirements and inspections for flood and fire have now been met.
Anyway, it looks like final approval is imminent. Hopefully this will be online very soon.

More activity as of yesterday. Final zoning approval given, and officially assigned a street address. No, please don't ask me why that needs to happen. I have no clue.
Overall, I find it strange that zoning approval and other measures performed AFTER the complete installation.
Anyway, if I had to guess, this will be live soon.

I still think this parking lot would have been an excellent 24 stall location, perhaps even more. That lot is huge, and 90% empty 100% of the time.

With 20 stalls going up, literally, across the driveway from this one, the current expansion seems to finally make sense. Something was off about this from the beginning, with the gravel lot, the urban chargers combined with pre-fab V3's. It all seemed so oddly rushed and shoe-horned, which, don't get me wrong, is much appreciated. My guess is that this site will be dismantled, or at least partially dismantled with expansion being removed, once the new stalls are intact.

The new 20 stall V3 site can't come soon enough. While not as heavily travelled a route as LA - Vegas or LA - SF, I did the SF Bay area to Vegas roundtrip a few weeks ago and Mojave SC was the bottleneck in both directions. Since you have to cut across Rte 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow on this route, you're kind of forced to stop for a bit at Mojave in between the Bakersfield/Buttonwillow SC's to the west and Barstow/Yermo SC's to the east.

Well, at least that's the case in my 2016 Model S with 233 rated miles. In any case, not only is this site small and incorrectly labeled as "up to 250kw" in the navigation, but it was crippled at 52kw both times when I crossed. This was the case whether the site was full or empty, and even the two urban chargers were capped at 52kw when unpaired. So people were staying just long enough to make it to the next chargers, which then spilled into congestion at Bakersfield/Buttonwillow and Barstow/Yermo - I could tell as I saw some of the same cars I saw at Mojave also charging at the very next site, further slowing everyone down as all of them are v2's at 74kw when paired. I saw a number of newer Tesla's with 300-400 miles range at Mojave, so even the higher range couldn't bypass the bottleneck fully.

This was two weeks before Thanksgiving, not a busy time of year, so hopefully at least they fixed the 52kw issue before this past Thanksgiving weekend. My first time doing this particular run in the Tesla instead of an ICE, Mojave was the only negative SC experience that made me concerned about road-tripping with superchargers...

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and 4SUPER9
The new 20 stall V3 site can't come soon enough. While not as heavily travelled a route as LA - Vegas or LA - SF, I did the SF Bay area to Vegas roundtrip a few weeks ago and Mojave SC was the bottleneck in both directions. Since you have to cut across Rte 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow on this route, you're kind of forced to stop for a bit at Mojave in between the Bakersfield/Buttonwillow SC's to the west and Barstow/Yermo SC's to the east.

Well, at least that's the case in my 2016 Model S with 233 rated miles. In any case, not only is this site small and incorrectly labeled as "up to 250kw" in the navigation, but it was crippled at 52kw both times when I crossed. This was the case whether the site was full or empty, and even the two urban chargers were capped at 52kw when unpaired. So people were staying just long enough to make it to the next chargers, which then spilled into congestion at Bakersfield/Buttonwillow and Barstow/Yermo - I could tell as I saw some of the same cars I saw at Mojave also charging at the very next site, further slowing everyone down as all of them are v2's at 74kw when paired. I saw a number of newer Tesla's with 300-400 miles range at Mojave, so even the higher range couldn't bypass the bottleneck fully.

This was two weeks before Thanksgiving, not a busy time of year, so hopefully at least they fixed the 52kw issue before this past Thanksgiving weekend. My first time doing this particular run in the Tesla instead of an ICE, Mojave was the only negative SC experience that made me concerned about road-tripping with superchargers...
Yep. Totally agree. They probably listed the 250kW prematurely. I checked the Kern website and everything looks done, except for the final inspection. In the past, I typically got a decent charge out of Mojave, so this may be a new problem. If there is a way to report this, please do (I forgot how).
As far as the new site goes, there has been zero progress on the permitting side of things. Just at its infancy. Tesla knows how bad this current site is, as they have previously staffed it to organize traffic and queues. Hopefully, they will expedite the new site. Speaking to some people in permitting (Bishop), Tesla was very slow to respond to requests for necessary documentation.

Too also and moreover, the Tesla "Find Us" map shows no planned Supercharger in Bakersfield proper near the junction of 99 and 58. So, Mojave is an imperative stop for going between the Central Valley and points east for the foreseeable future. There had been talk of having a Supercharger at Kramer's Jct., but that too fell by the wayside once highway 58 was rerouted onto its current alignment.

I am optimistic that there will eventually be a Supercharger in Bakersfield along 99/58, but we won't have that information until the rerouting of 58 and junction with 99 is complete maybe by late 2022.

Speaking to some people in permitting (Bishop), Tesla was very slow to respond to requests for necessary documentation.
Yes, this is a result of Tesla working on so many supercharger locations simultaneously. It means that, except in very, very rare instances, all sites are viewed as equally important, i.e. locations aren't given priority based on their level of utility/benefit to the supercharger network or for drivers needing particular new superchargers. As a result, the paperwork submittals for permitting applications is often quite slow with Tesla as their teams are pretty much dealing with each issue in the order they are encountered. Things which a normal contractor who was only managing a small number of projects simultaneously would take 2 or 3 days on, Tesla might not get to for 3 to 6 weeks depending on what was going on with other superchargers in their pipeline.

Yes, this is a result of Tesla working on so many supercharger locations simultaneously. It means that, except in very, very rare instances, all sites are viewed as equally important, i.e. locations aren't given priority based on their level of utility/benefit to the supercharger network or for drivers needing particular new superchargers. As a result, the paperwork submittals for permitting applications is often quite slow with Tesla as their teams are pretty much dealing with each issue in the order they are encountered. Things which a normal contractor who was only managing a small number of projects simultaneously would take 2 or 3 days on, Tesla might not get to for 3 to 6 weeks depending on what was going on with other superchargers in their pipeline.
I would get a general lack of prioritization, except for when a site is so overwhelmed that Tesla has to send people over to manage it. It seems to me that this would be an example of when to kick it up the list.

Reactions: PLUS EV