Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA (EXPANDED Dec 2021, 6 V2 + 4 V3 + 2 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There had been talk of having a Supercharger at Kramer's Jct., but that too fell by the wayside once highway 58 was rerouted onto its current alignment.
Why would this have a negative impact on supercharger construction? If anything it makes it a MORE suitable location for a supercharger. There had been times in the recent past where the traffic was so bad going through that junction that it was actually better to detour southward (adding substantial miles) to avoid Kramer Junction.

Still looks a bit sad here
D181657E-D1D3-4D1E-9B6B-25C996E7E7D9.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. Are you sure the V3's are not powered up? According to my nav, the answer would be no. Still shows 8 stalls, and still shows incorrectly that it is 250kW

Just checked the permitting. It looks like final inspections were completed on 12/2, ten days ago.

Huge dump coming this week, and ski season (real ski season) will be here in a matter of days. I hope these extra stalls go live soon.

The new 20 stall V3 site can't come soon enough. While not as heavily travelled a route as LA - Vegas or LA - SF, I did the SF Bay area to Vegas roundtrip a few weeks ago and Mojave SC was the bottleneck in both directions. Since you have to cut across Rte 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow on this route, you're kind of forced to stop for a bit at Mojave in between the Bakersfield/Buttonwillow SC's to the west and Barstow/Yermo SC's to the east.

Well, at least that's the case in my 2016 Model S with 233 rated miles. In any case, not only is this site small and incorrectly labeled as "up to 250kw" in the navigation, but it was crippled at 52kw both times when I crossed. This was the case whether the site was full or empty, and even the two urban chargers were capped at 52kw when unpaired. So people were staying just long enough to make it to the next chargers, which then spilled into congestion at Bakersfield/Buttonwillow and Barstow/Yermo - I could tell as I saw some of the same cars I saw at Mojave also charging at the very next site, further slowing everyone down as all of them are v2's at 74kw when paired. I saw a number of newer Tesla's with 300-400 miles range at Mojave, so even the higher range couldn't bypass the bottleneck fully.

This was two weeks before Thanksgiving, not a busy time of year, so hopefully at least they fixed the 52kw issue before this past Thanksgiving weekend. My first time doing this particular run in the Tesla instead of an ICE, Mojave was the only negative SC experience that made me concerned about road-tripping with superchargers...
On this note, on PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, I also see complaints about slow charging.

On this note, on PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, I also see complaints about slow charging.
Geez, looks like the slow charging was going on at least half a year, you'd think more folks would post updates here about it - but prior to my late Nov post, there was only one earlier mention from late June.. Or are slow/down Superchargers so common that these threads shouldn't be cluttered up with such updates? I usually check these threads for Supercharger issues prior to any road trips, but looks like Plugshare is the better place to check for status issues.

Or maybe it's again my hunch that most of the newer owners with 300+ mi range can or are able to skip Mojave?

At least it looks like the slow charging was fixed in mid Dec when they paved and brought the v3 ones online. Just in time for the New Year's Eve logjam....

Geez, looks like the slow charging was going on at least half a year, you'd think more folks would post updates here about it - but prior to my late Nov post, there was only one earlier mention from late June.. Or are slow/down Superchargers so common that these threads shouldn't be cluttered up with such updates? I usually check these threads for Supercharger issues prior to any road trips, but looks like Plugshare is the better place to check for status issues.

Or maybe it's again my hunch that most of the newer owners with 300+ mi range can or are able to skip Mojave?

At least it looks like the slow charging was fixed in mid Dec when they paved and brought the v3 ones online. Just in time for the New Year's Eve logjam....

I think it depends on one's destination or point of embarkation. There is no Supercharger in Bakersfield proper. Those traveling to and from the Bay Area can choose to bypass Mojave by charging on either side at Barstow or Yermo to the east and Bakersfield - I5 or Buttonwillow to the west, or possibly Kettleman City.

Those from the Central Valley are hosed. Traver to Barstow or Yermo is doable (225 miles) with some elevation gain, but would require a longer-than-usual stop in Traver or Yermo.

North-south travelers have the ability to charge at Palmdale and again at Lone Pine. But I guess that Tesla has convinced most owners to rely upon the navigation instead of plotting things out on our own.

As a result, if the navigation says to stop in Mojave, you stop in Mojave.