Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Morgantown, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that sounded like a throttled 75. I’m also a heavy Supercharger user—57.5K miles in about 2 1/4 years (including 6-7 trips to Morgantown every year from Columbus to watch the ‘Eers). I love my Tesla but honestly probably would never buy another because I feel I’m being penalized for “overusing” something which was the only reason a Tesla for my lifestyle. It makes a significant difference in charging times. I’m really upset about it honestly.

I thought that sounded like a throttled 75. I’m also a heavy Supercharger user—57.5K miles in about 2 1/4 years (including 6-7 trips to Morgantown every year from Columbus to watch the ‘Eers). I love my Tesla but honestly probably would never buy another because I feel I’m being penalized for “overusing” something which was the only reason a Tesla for my lifestyle. It makes a significant difference in charging times. I’m really upset about it honestly.

I'm torn on how I feel. It was a great perk that has been somewhat marginalized on account of something that wasn't made clear at purchase, maybe because they didn't really know what the trend could be with SC use.

Either way, I'm inclined to mile ours out (approaching 80k) and see what owners experience with 2170 cells, as it relates to speed and potential throttling over time. I'm probably a Tesla owner as long as they make them.

I've had some issues at this charger in the past, but had also found that leaving the car plugged in, it would normally start back on its own. It has been a couple months since I last stopped at this charger, I've been skipping from Tridelphia to La Vale using US 40 shortcut to save miles, although it doesn't save time. I will be going this route this coming weekend, I might continue to skip this charger. With the Parkersburg charger coming online (hopefully soon), by stopping in La Vale and charging extra, I may not need to charge much in Morgantown.

It is interesting to read about the concerns with the supercharging throttling on the 75kw cars. I bought my 85 kw used in Jan 2017, she had 37K miles. I have had the car just over 2 years and I now have 167K miles on it. About 60-65K miles a year. Trips from DC to west TN and from DC to Cincinnati area at least once a month, sometimes more, so many supercharging stops. I'm glad I opted for the used 85, compared to the new 75 since I would have problem been limited by now. Mine will still start at around 110-115K depending on miles. I have lost a decent amount of range though. I could charge to 260 miles when I bought the car, now 232 is about the max I can get when charging to 100%.

do you guys think this is the physical supercharger or your car and it's BMS system protecting the battery? I just did a long road trip and was seeing variable charge rates. Only once did I actually have an issue with the charge rate.

It was really cold when i drove to Mass. when I plug in i didn't charge that fast at first but give it a few minutes and then it starts ramping up the KW. It's like it knows the pack is ice cold and deliberately starts with a slow charge and as the pack warms up the KW goes up. On the flip side after we were driving all day, it was trying to cool the pack down before charging. Bottom line is I think the SC wants the pack at certain temperature and also what is the current battery charge level before it gives you the KW.

On day two it was only 7 degrees and I was at 80% but wanted 100% before we headed down the highway. I plugged in and only got 3KW. I tried 3 or 4 different stalls before I gave up and just sat there. IT was COLD, I heated up the car as it heated the pack. I slowly came up to 9KW. then to 14KW and finally at 31KW. That is the highest it went after 30 minutes. I gave up within 10 miles of a full charge. But at least I knew the car was warm as well as the pack.

I did see different charge levels at Morgantown when I passed through a couple times, more so than other SC.'s. I now wonder how smart the SC's are vs the car. My level two charger was nothing more than a simple contactor to handshake with my Volt. How do you report a SC as bad? I did have a bad SC in Conn. at the Greenwich Northbound site. It gave you a red LED on the car and kills the car next to it when you plug in. It self resets and starts charging the other stall. I try to call the number on the SC but that is pointless. Is there an email to report it? The guy charging two ports down said he has called on it several times for months with no action. He goes there on a daily basis.

do you guys think this is the physical supercharger or your car and it's BMS system protecting the battery? I just did a long road trip and was seeing variable charge rates. Only once did I actually have an issue with the charge rate.

It was really cold when i drove to Mass. when I plug in i didn't charge that fast at first but give it a few minutes and then it starts ramping up the KW. It's like it knows the pack is ice cold and deliberately starts with a slow charge and as the pack warms up the KW goes up. On the flip side after we were driving all day, it was trying to cool the pack down before charging. Bottom line is I think the SC wants the pack at certain temperature and also what is the current battery charge level before it gives you the KW.

On day two it was only 7 degrees and I was at 80% but wanted 100% before we headed down the highway. I plugged in and only got 3KW. I tried 3 or 4 different stalls before I gave up and just sat there. IT was COLD, I heated up the car as it heated the pack. I slowly came up to 9KW. then to 14KW and finally at 31KW. That is the highest it went after 30 minutes. I gave up within 10 miles of a full charge. But at least I knew the car was warm as well as the pack.

I did see different charge levels at Morgantown when I passed through a couple times, more so than other SC.'s. I now wonder how smart the SC's are vs the car. My level two charger was nothing more than a simple contactor to handshake with my Volt. How do you report a SC as bad? I did have a bad SC in Conn. at the Greenwich Northbound site. It gave you a red LED on the car and kills the car next to it when you plug in. It self resets and starts charging the other stall. I try to call the number on the SC but that is pointless. Is there an email to report it? The guy charging two ports down said he has called on it several times for months with no action. He goes there on a daily basis.

My car is definitely throttled--I asked the local service center, and they confirmed it is. You're correct--the battery temperature plays a huge role in the charge speed, and from my unscientific observations, it seems Tesla has changed that algorithm over the years via updates where the battery temperature seems to play a bigger factor now than when I first got the car.

My car is definitely throttled--I asked the local service center, and they confirmed it is. You're correct--the battery temperature plays a huge role in the charge speed, and from my unscientific observations, it seems Tesla has changed that algorithm over the years via updates where the battery temperature seems to play a bigger factor now than when I first got the car.

Was that because you do super charge that much? they did it to protect the battery pack? Not an abuse thing was it? Im running out and will SC today will hope to charge at full rate today. I havent SC for about 2 weeks.

Was that because you do super charge that much? they did it to protect the battery pack? Not an abuse thing was it? Im running out and will SC today will hope to charge at full rate today. I havent SC for about 2 weeks.

I think it's believed to be based on the number of kW added by level 3 charging but that trigger has never been stated by Tesla as far as I know. I drive a lot--almost 58K in 2 1/4 years, so I do a lot of Supercharging. There is an epic 100+ page thread on the issue if you're really interested.

My experiences at the Morgantown SC were specifically issues with the charger. The issue was very similar to the Dickson, TN issues where at times you could get a slow charge, but it would fluctuate during the charge and turn off periodically. I did notice that last week on my drive from DC to OH that the Morgantown charger was updated to showing " Reduced Service. "

I've put 130K miles on my car in just over 2 years. I did many trips from DC to west TN and from DC to OH, a few from OH to TN. I stop at SCs frequently, but it is normally the same chargers over and over again on the loops to see family. If I had to rely on the Morgantown charger I would need to allow for an extra 10-15 mins at the charger due to the issues. I believe the last time I charged there, the charger turned off at least 4 times during the charge and that was only a stop long enough to add less than 100 miles to the car.

I noticed earlier this week the Morgantown SC no longer showed "Reduced Service" I stopped tonight, 3A appears to be working normally. Started at over 110kW when I pulled in. Please note the snow removal team has completely blocked the pull in charger 1A. slots 3B and 4A are pretty much non-accessible as well. 3B and 4A will probably have the snow in front of them melted this weekend, but 1A might be a while longer.

Reactions: RFernatt
I posted this on the Hagerstown link, but should have here also. "The Tesla SC repairman" was at Hagerstown making the repair rounds to all the SC in the area. I do wonder if he road west and gave Morgantown a tune up. He was going over everything inside and out replacing cables and charger boards and topping off the tanks of the SC which are liquid cooled.

What's with the midget trannys? Was there yesterday and charged fast.
Analphabetism rates must be high as many trucks parked in the marked
spots, in their defense most just grabbed something from SHEETZ and left.

20201004_151841.jpg

20201004_151617.jpg

Last edited: