Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Napa, CA - Bel Aire Plaza (LIVE 1 Sep 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As was discussed earlier, if you charge in Napa, you should have zero issues traveling around the valley for a few days and making it back to Napa to charge again. Especially with the many destination chargers at wineries and hotels up valley. The point of Superchargers is to enable traveling to the NEXT location. Where would you go AFTER charging in St Helena? Likely back to Napa or elsewhere in the Bay Area. Tesla has tracking data from all their vehicles. If it showed a lot of people traveling to North to Lake County from Napa then maybe we’d see something In Calistoga but obviously they see people charging in Napa and then returning south out of the valley.
I usually stay at hotels in St Helena or Yountville. My favorite hotel, Alila Napa Valley, has a couple Tesla chargers. However, they're frequently blocked in by the valet.

I generally prefer the hotels, dining, and wineries in St Helena, Yountville, etc... Personally, the hotels in City of Napa are meh. Food is OK... Wineries are OK...

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
OK here's a little secret for my TMC friends... Yountville's Chargepoint stations are borderline free. I think a complete charge costs about 65 cents. There are two stations at the community center and two stations at town hall. Busy on weekends, empty on weekdays.
Personally, I think Yountville would be a great location for superchargers.

Personally, I think Yountville would be a great location for superchargers.
I think the locals would not be happy with that, but it would be nice to charge the car while you go for a stroll through the parks, gardens, or sip on a coffee and nosh on some pastry. Generally the best Superchargers aren't too far away from the major thoroughfares, have interesting things to do or see in 20-90 minutes, and/or a nice sit-down dining experience that can fit within that time. Yountville is best enjoyed on foot and bike.

I think the locals would not be happy with that, but it would be nice to charge the car while you go for a stroll through the parks, gardens, or sip on a coffee and nosh on some pastry. Generally the best Superchargers aren't too far away from the major thoroughfares, have interesting things to do or see in 20-90 minutes, and/or a nice sit-down dining experience that can fit within that time. Yountville is best enjoyed on foot and bike.
It would be so nice to supercharge and grab a coffee and macarons from Bouchon, haha.

• Love
Reactions: goldengate
..and land too valuable for Tesla to put SC in.
Going have to disagree on that point. There’s quite a few high priced real estate areas where they probably had to pay an eye-watering sum of money to install superchargers within the last 3 years: Santa Monica, San Francisco, Pacific Palisades, West Hollywood, are just some of the few that come to mind. I’m sure if Tesla determines there really really needs to be a supercharger there, they will shell out the big bucks and make it happen. Real estate price is probably not the ultimate obstacle.

From a usage standpoint, is anyone really using 150+ miles of range driving around st helena and Calistoga during a weekend? Range that couldn’t be replaced with destination chargers? This is the data Tesla looks at. They don’t see a need to place a charger 20 miles from the current 20+ (soon to be 30+) available in Napa. Existing chargers that rarely if ever have a wait. If Calistoga was out of range of the closest chargers then you might have an argument for Tesla to work something out but as it is, land is too expensive and scarce for someone to lease it to Tesla for free to put in some chargers that are a want for the 1%ers, not a need to allow EV travel for the masses in the area.

Maybe you should seek out some wealthy business owners in the area and convince them to shell out $150k for 8 stalls on their property. That has a higher likelihood of happening in my book.

From a usage standpoint, is anyone really using 150+ miles of range driving around st helena and Calistoga during a weekend? Range that couldn’t be replaced with destination chargers? This is the data Tesla looks at. They don’t see a need to place a charger 20 miles from the current 20+ (soon to be 30+) available in Napa. Existing chargers that rarely if ever have a wait. If Calistoga was out of range of the closest chargers then you might have an argument for Tesla to work something out but as it is, land is too expensive and scarce for someone to lease it to Tesla for free to put in some chargers that are a want for the 1%ers, not a need to allow EV travel for the masses in the area.

Maybe you should seek out some wealthy business owners in the area and convince them to shell out $150k for 8 stalls on their property. That has a higher likelihood of happening in my book.

On top of that, the infrastructure and traffic flow has to be considered as well. St. Helena and Calistoga do not have more than 2 lane roads so it can be tricky to place a Supercharger site in those area other than using a park/library/civic center/town square. Main St, the area around Gott's (Taylor's), and the tasting rooms are all pretty crowded. Even if you were to convince Cakebread, Alpha Omega, Prisoner Wine, etc to utilize their lots, the ingress/egress to and from 128 would be horrible...especially for cyclists. I think the current Supercharger sites (3 in Napa and 1 in Sonoma) is sufficient with the addition of destination chargers at various properties. This might change depending on how the plan to open Superchargers to all EVs goes.

You'll also have to consider that many cities/towns do not want Superchargers in their locale. I will be shocked when Newport Beach, Ca opens one...well anywhere besides Fashion Island and Crystal Cove. I think many cities would rather be adjacent to the Superchargers; St. Helena, Yountville, and Calistoga probably feel the same way.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Tesla/PG&E will need to do some underground work to get this transformer installed. There is an open encroachment permit for removing sidewalk as well as one for traffic control to get the power over to the site from a vault underneath the sidewalk or roadway. The work should be obvious when it starts.