Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nepean, ON - Robertson Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this V3 is still not at full strength. On my way back from Montreal yesterday I recharged at Casselman with a starting SOC of 20% I got 90kW, with battery preconditioning. I arrived at Robertson also at 20% SOC and battery preconditioning and got just 68 kW to start. Power dropped to 65 kW by 30% and 60 kW by 40%.

I arrived at Robertson also at 20% SOC and battery preconditioning and got just 68 kW to start.
Pretty much the same for me today as well. Arrived with 26% SOC and max was 67kw and quickly dropped to 50-55kW(battery temp was 19C to start), Although unlike last time it at least held this speed until about 60% SOC at which point it started to tapper down. Better then the max 37Kw I got last time. Regardless speeds seem to be all over the place, and hopefully it is just for now.

Pretty much the same for me today as well. Arrived with 26% SOC and max was 67kw and quickly dropped to 50-55kW(battery temp was 19C to start), Although unlike last time it at least held this speed until about 60% SOC at which point it started to tapper down. Better then the max 37Kw I got last time. Regardless speeds seem to be all over the place, and hopefully it is just for now.
Here again at post 1A Nov 18 8:30pm -7 outside started at 26% SOC at 63kW quickly dropped to 48-50kW and held steady.

UPDATE!! I was on the phone with Tesla while charging there as the highest I got was around 110kw to 120kw even though I only had about 70km of battery remaining. Tesla said even though this station appears on our navigation display and on the Tesla website in red as an active super charger (rather than grey as a "Coming Soon" supercharger), it doesn't display at their end as "Activated" Technically, it's not operational, which seems ironic. This would seem to imply this supercharger still hasn't been "commissioned" yet, and thus almost certainly the reason why it's not at full power. I was told to check back in about three weeks and keep hounding Tesla about it.

So I encourage you readers to get on Tesla about the issue with this supercharger (and maybe get other users to do the same). Once they're inundated with several calls about this, it will likely be up to full speed shortly thereafter. :)

Bells Corners - good luck getting a spot!.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Frenchrock
Time for a new Supercharger in Ottawa and decommission the so-called Supercharger in the Rideau Centre. Need one around Fallowfield for those coming in from the South, one in the Stittsville/Carp area for those coming in from the West, and one around St. Laurent and the Queensway for those coming in from points East.

Yes, I know that there is one on Tesla's books for one in Gatineau, but no sign of it yet.

There will be a flood of EVs, mostly Teslas that will flood the streets of Ottawa in the next 2-3 years with the arrival of the Cyber truck, ramped up sales of the Model 3 and Y, and a bevy of other makes and models.

Reactions: Frenchrock
Time for a new Supercharger in Ottawa and decommission the so-called Supercharger in the Rideau Centre. Need one around Fallowfield for those coming in from the South, one in the Stittsville/Carp area for those coming in from the West, and one around St. Laurent and the Queensway for those coming in from points East.

Yes, I know that there is one on Tesla's books for one in Gatineau, but no sign of it yet.

There will be a flood of EVs, mostly Teslas that will flood the streets of Ottawa in the next 2-3 years with the arrival of the Cyber truck, ramped up sales of the Model 3 and Y, and a bevy of other makes and models.
The photo is on an holiday weekend.

They are looking for a new site, it’s on their host a supercharger website. I assume Covid is currently a barrier.

also, Rideau has been nice to me.

Why would you want to decommission a supercharger if you are concerned about crowding?

Reactions: mociaf9
Why would you want to decommission a supercharger if you are concerned about crowding?
Normally I wouldn't. I understand why you would ask the question and it is worth asking. The reply below will address that question in detail.

However, the Rideau Centre supercharger is the third level down at the Rideau Centre. Five minutes from the time you enter the garage to the time you plugin. The physical location for those transiting the Trans- Canada highway takes 15 minutes on a good day and 30 on a bad day. For those not familiar with the Rideau Centre there are multiple entrances and garages that don't connect so navigation is an issue unless you know exactly where you are going.

Because it's down 3 levels in a reinforced concrete structure, a cell signal is iffy at best. The garage can be closed down/access denied for a number of reasons - full/Covid19 measures. Good luck trying to get a hold of someone to explain why you need to enter the garage when you really really need a charge with your SoC at 5% on a very cold day in January.

The idle fees can be somewhat arbitrary. Stories abound about high fees when there are less than 50% full when you really need that extra boost. Granted not that important that Perth and Bells Corners are up and running

This is a 72 Kw Supercharger so not all that fast, and many find that the charging speed is much lower even when the SoC is around 20-30%.

The cost to enter this parking garage is steep by Ottawa standards is fairly steep, though nothing compared to New York City or Washington D.C.

There are also social issues here at work. The elevators coming down to the Tesla Supercharger are just inside the doors of the Rideau Centre where a lot of folks with social, mental, and health issues can easily access.

Some quotes directly from Plugshare

"Charger works well, but the location is annoying. Parking is paid, it's at the third level down, and there are a bunch of skateboarders."

“Be careful planning your trip around this Supercharger. If you come here on a weekend, there’s a good chance that they’ll determine the parking garage is full and will lock the entry gate so that you won’t be able to get in. Plus it’s a 4$ parking fee to use the garage for a charging session. Terrible placement of a Supercharger on Tesla’s part.”

“Max around 55kw, only 2 other stalls were open”

“Charged idle fees even though never at 50% capacity...”

“6’10” entrance. Had to take bikes off roof to get in. Also had to pay for parking.”

“Maxed out at 58kw, Never got the rated 72kw so not super fast. parking is now $2/30mins. Was my 2nd visit on a weekday, pretty quiet both times only saw another model S and model 3 as I was leaving via the labyrinth. Also takes about 3-5mins to get down to P3! In about 30mins with 58kw you will get about 150km/30mins. So in short if you can find somewhere else to charge off peak electricity is cheaper then the parking.”

“Not free parking. In p3 - no reception to check on car’s status with phone. The gate on the way out of the garage could not open - cars waiting there for attendant.... ONLY charger in Ottawa. Not free ...”

“Hard to find. Parking entrance not well marked. Every time I’ve come here there’s lots of traffic around entrance and once in the garage it’s tight corners and sometimes congestion getting down to P3. Station 1A was only charging at 48KW. Switched to 1B - now charging at 65kW. Still not optimum. With all the M3s recently released in Ontario, and bring the only supercharger in the Ottawa area, this station definitely getting busier. 5 cars charging now. Another pulling in”

To recap:
  1. Too fast for a long period of shopping or attending a conference or meeting (when they resume)
  2. Too slow - rated at 72 - most times significantly less
  3. Too far from highways
  4. May be locked in/out
  5. Hard to find
  6. Expensive parking
  7. Dangerous
  8. Other alternatives for Level 2 chargers nearby - for example, the Westin hotel has a Tesla destination charger in the same complex and there are two J1772s at the Rideau Centre for those who will be more than an hour.
  9. Poor cell coverage
  10. Arbitrary idle fees
  11. Hard to access if you have a roof bike rack
So that's the argument. I believe that this was Tesla's idea of locating a flagship Supercharger only minutes away from the Parliament of Canada. I would think that in hindsight that Tesla would not place this there now. Down at the bottom of a parking garage, not too many movers and shakers are going to see it. Chances are a lot more skateboarders (nothing against skateboarders) and homeless people looking to avoid Mall security will be there.

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't. I understand why you would ask the question and it is worth asking. The reply below will address that question in detail.

However, the Rideau Centre supercharger is the third level down at the Rideau Centre. Five minutes from the time you enter the garage to the time you plugin. The physical location for those transiting the Trans- Canada highway takes 15 minutes on a good day and 30 on a bad day. For those not familiar with the Rideau Centre there are multiple entrances and garages that don't connect so navigation is an issue unless you know exactly where you are going.

Because it's down 3 levels in a reinforced concrete structure, a cell signal is iffy at best. The garage can be closed down/access denied for a number of reasons - full/Covid19 measures. Good luck trying to get a hold of someone to explain why you need to enter the garage when you really really need a charge with your SoC at 5% on a very cold day in January.

The idle fees can be somewhat arbitrary. Stories abound about high fees when there are less than 50% full when you really need that extra boost. Granted not that important that Perth and Bells Corners are up and running

This is a 72 Kw Supercharger so not all that fast, and many find that the charging speed is much lower even when the SoC is around 20-30%.

The cost to enter this parking garage is steep by Ottawa standards is fairly steep, though nothing compared to New York City or Washington D.C.

There are also social issues here at work. The elevators coming down to the Tesla Supercharger are just inside the doors of the Rideau Centre where a lot of folks with social, mental, and health issues can easily access.

Some quotes directly from Plugshare

"Charger works well, but the location is annoying. Parking is paid, it's at the third level down, and there are a bunch of skateboarders."

“Be careful planning your trip around this Supercharger. If you come here on a weekend, there’s a good chance that they’ll determine the parking garage is full and will lock the entry gate so that you won’t be able to get in. Plus it’s a 4$ parking fee to use the garage for a charging session. Terrible placement of a Supercharger on Tesla’s part.”

“Max around 55kw, only 2 other stalls were open”

“Charged idle fees even though never at 50% capacity...”

“6’10” entrance. Had to take bikes off roof to get in. Also had to pay for parking.”

“Maxed out at 58kw, Never got the rated 72kw so not super fast. parking is now $2/30mins. Was my 2nd visit on a weekday, pretty quiet both times only saw another model S and model 3 as I was leaving via the labyrinth. Also takes about 3-5mins to get down to P3! In about 30mins with 58kw you will get about 150km/30mins. So in short if you can find somewhere else to charge off peak electricity is cheaper then the parking.”

“Not free parking. In p3 - no reception to check on car’s status with phone. The gate on the way out of the garage could not open - cars waiting there for attendant.... ONLY charger in Ottawa. Not free ...”

“Hard to find. Parking entrance not well marked. Every time I’ve come here there’s lots of traffic around entrance and once in the garage it’s tight corners and sometimes congestion getting down to P3. Station 1A was only charging at 48KW. Switched to 1B - now charging at 65kW. Still not optimum. With all the M3s recently released in Ontario, and bring the only supercharger in the Ottawa area, this station definitely getting busier. 5 cars charging now. Another pulling in”

To recap:
  1. Too fast for a long period of shopping or attending a conference or meeting (when they resume)
  2. Too slow - rated at 72 - most times significantly less
  3. Too far from highways
  4. May be locked in/out
  5. Hard to find
  6. Expensive parking
  7. Dangerous
  8. Other alternatives for Level 2 chargers nearby - for example, the Westin hotel has a Tesla destination charger in the same complex and there are two J1772s at the Rideau Centre for those who will be more than an hour.
  9. Poor cell coverage
  10. Arbitrary idle fees
  11. Hard to access if you have a roof bike rack
So that's the argument. I believe that this was Tesla's idea of locating a flagship Supercharger only minutes away from the Parliament of Canada. I would think that in hindsight that Tesla would not place this there now. Down at the bottom of a parking garage, not too many movers and shakers are going to see it. Chances are a lot more skateboarders (nothing against skateboarders) and homeless people looking to avoid Mall security will be there.
I'll still take a flawed supercharger over no supercharger.

Plenty of people use them - especially people visiting downtown from out of town, and not just passing through on the 417.

Yep

This thread belongs to the Rideau Centre thread: Supercharger - Ottawa ON

I know the majority of people using this location are not passing through on the 417 and are in fact doing exactly what you point out. Through traffic on the 417 will use the Casselman, Bells Corners and Perth supercharges - the last two referenced being V3s. My point is that a V3 supercharger downtown, located close to amenities, well lit, and with reasonable security would be several degrees more preferable.

The Rideau Centre supercharger was closed for weeks at the height of Covid, and hope that anyone who is locked out due to this, or any other reason has enough time and juice left to get to another charger.

Does anyone find this SC is slow? I arrived with about 20% and was initially charging at 70kW and I was the only Tesla at the entire bank of chargers. As I got up to about 70% the rate dropped off to 36kW. The battery was preconditioning on my drive to this site for about 15 minutes, and it was a warm day. I charged later on that day in Belleville and got around 100kW at first and still had 94kW at 28% SOC.

Is something wrong with this site? There are other posts about substandard speed at this site.

FWIW I charged my 3 SR+ here twice yesterday and everything seemed normal. I didn't pay especially close attention, but in both cases I preconditioned, arrived with ~30%, used the stall closest to the street, and (according to my account history) got >100 kW for 2 minutes.