Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As former Hampton Roads courier and one who is on the MMBT 20x/wk I must be the only one on here who likes the well planned Norfolk supercharger site location.

2Cyb

I will check in with the super crew next week.
As someone who frequents VA Beach for business, I second your approval. This station is centrally located and facilitates far more trips than just people heading down 64 from Richmond. The area is not that bad compared to, say, downtown Macon.

Norfolk Va Supercharger

I actually think it is a good location as well. Janaf isn't exactly ritzy, but I wouldn't consider it unsafe at all. Proximity to I-64 and the Bay Bridge tunnel is hugely important.

The onsite person said it should be open by August.

Attachments

• Norfolk, Va Supercharger.jpg
    Norfolk, Va Supercharger.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 666
I visited the site on Saturday, and I did not feel the least bit unsafe. There were many people around and many open stores. We made the round trip from Glen Allen. Traffic was very heavy on I-64 and we made some detours to avoid stopped traffic, and needed additional charge to make it back. We used the free CHAdeMO 50kva charger at the Scopes Arena parking garage. (You may need to pay for parking.) Due to operator inexperience, I did need to call for assistance, but it did work well.

The Norfolk Supercharger location at JANAF Shopping Center is well underway. I took the attached photograph on Tuesday, July 21, 2015. A crew was on site, working in 95 degree heat. You can see the 8 charging stations, but most of the work was being done on the large transformer box. As noted previously, the location is in the middle of the parking lot, generally west of TJMaxx and east of Northern Tool. Several restaurants are nearby, including Panera Bread.

Norfolk_SC_7-15.JPG

The Norfolk Supercharger location at JANAF Shopping Center is well underway. I took the attached photograph on Tuesday, July 21, 2015. A crew was on site, working in 95 degree heat. You can see the 8 charging stations, but most of the work was being done on the large transformer box. As noted previously, the location is in the middle of the parking lot, generally west of TJMaxx and east of Northern Tool. Several restaurants are nearby, including Panera Bread.

Excellent update, thanks. I hope it is operational in exactly one month!

Does Tesla still have grand openings for their supercharger? If so, should I - as a resident of Chesapeake, VA - expect an email invite? :smile:

Would love to be there, especially since I haven't actually come across another Model S in the area yet.

They have in the early days of superchargers.

Hang out at Harris Teeter near Ghent in Norfolk :)
I've seen two other Model S's there in the past.

I would be very surprised if it isn't open by then.

I agree. The pics from a week ago showed the supercharger cabinets and switch gear already in place. I wouldn't be surprised if this site is ready to go by the end of July. The only thing that might delay it are inspections or utility connections. Does anyone know if the utility transformer is already there? Don't see it in any of the photos.

>>Does anyone know if the utility transformer is already there? Don't see it in any of the photos.<<

Yes, the transformer (BIG gray box) is on-site with connections being worked on. Will stop by for an update.

Trivia question. What does JANAF mean, as in Janaf Shopping Center?

The location was once the site of Glenrock Airport - hence the long, narrow shape of the parcel. It was used by multiple military commands.

JOINT
ARMY
NAVY
AIR
FORCE

JANAF!

>>Does anyone know if the utility transformer is already there? Don't see it in any of the photos.<<

Yes, the transformer (BIG gray box) is on-site with connections being worked on. Will stop by for an update.

The big gray box is usually the Distribution Center (AKA the Switchgear, a big circuit breaker box). See this picture for reference. The charging stations are now usually called Charging Pedestals

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Last edited:

Trivia question. What does JANAF mean, as in Janaf Shopping Center?

The location was once the site of Glenrock Airport - hence the long, narrow shape of the parcel. It was used by multiple military commands.

JOINT
ARMY
NAVY
AIR
FORCE

JANAF!

utility transformers are typically green. I think you're describing the switchgear (basically a big circuit breaker).

Hopeful commission next week.

Currently pulling (2) 6" conduits 450' long each containing (3) 1/0 AWG AL between super transformer and underground trunk.

No word yet as to where this crew is headed upon completion of this particular super site.

Nice to see a lamp post base centrally located by the pedestals (along with one behind super cabinets, distribution center wood surround).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited: