Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited the site last night (8/19/15). All 6 Superchargers were dark and draped with yellow "Caution" tape (see photo). Very sad that development of this project resulted in a tragic loss of life by a contractor working for Tesla.

DSC08066.JPG

Personally, I think the grand opening ceremony should be cancelled altogether. Just open the station quietly, with little fanfare once the investigation is over. Any type of celebration at this site will look bad. Even if you wait 6 months. So, just open it and move on.

New info on the worker who died.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I think the grand opening ceremony should be cancelled altogether. Just open the station quietly, with little fanfare once the investigation is over. Any type of celebration at this site will look bad. Even if you wait 6 months. So, just open it and move on.

Agree wholeheartedly

If it is true that he was killed while working on the site(not by natural causes, etc), then I don't think you need to worry about any sort of "opening" any time soon. There's going to be a complete evaluation of the chain of events that led to the tragedy and a plan must be developed to avoid such events in the future. That's going to take a long time. And I wouldn't be surprised if it derails similar type of projects for the investigation period.

Electricians get hurt/killed all of the time working on transformers, breaker boxes, and other electrical equipment. It's not a danger just inherent in the SuperCharger's supporting infrastructure. Search for electrical arc flash on YouTube and watch in horror. I'm not saying what happened to the contractor was related to an arc flash, but it is one of the more serious accidents that occur around electrical equipment.

Sent another inquiry to see if the supercharger would be open for my return trip from the NC Outer Banks tomorrow. Looks like I get to mooch electrons from a Nissan dealer again...

"Thank you for checking in. We are working with the appropriate parties in order to get the station up and running again, however, the station will not be open this weekend, and will likely remain closed for a few more weeks. We appreciate your patience throughout this process. "

Does anyone know if this Supercharger is functional? Does not show up on Tesla Motors site yet.

From 2 posts right above yours.

Sent another inquiry to see if the supercharger would be open for my return trip from the NC Outer Banks tomorrow. Looks like I get to mooch electrons from a Nissan dealer again...

"Thank you for checking in. We are working with the appropriate parties in order to get the station up and running again, however, the station will not be open this weekend, and will likely remain closed for a few more weeks. We appreciate your patience throughout this process. "

Well first of all, it is sad to see that a Steven Weaver has died at the new Tesla Supercharger in the town of Norfolk, Va. My condolences to the Weaver family. I hope the new Tesla Supercharger will have a grand-open and a dedication to the contractor, right after the thorough investigation. I can not wait to see the new Tesla Supercharger. The construction work and installation all looks awesome. Thank You Tesla Supercharger Team. Keep up the hard work. Tesla is the future car.
Ron