Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oxnard, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, now 20 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8/06/14
Chargers are mounted on their slabs, slab is now being poured for the switcher. The pavement is cut, ready to be trenched. The men were still working at 7:30 PM!
IMG_2425.jpg
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2427.jpg

Drove by this morning. The contractor is setting transformers and related equipment. This is the first location they have contracted for after bidding multiple locations. Edison still reviewing engineering but they are proceeding anyway. Hopefully up and running very soon! The foreman said he has no idea about other locations. The equipment array here is much larger than other SC locations. I suspect expansion beyond the 10 spaces now being constructed is likely.

I stopped by on Monday and saw poured concrete and the beginning of trenching into the site...OLD NEWS now. How fantastic!
IMG_6233.jpg
IMG_6238.jpg

I'm very encouraged to see the station nearing completion. If 3-weeks is accurate then we might be charging on Monday 8/25/14. How about a casual gathering at the site that morning, say 10:30-11AM? I'll need to depart by noon for a meeting. I've only been to one supercharger unveiling, the first on 9/24/12 in Hawthorne. It was the kick off intro of the Supercharger. There was a big party with cocktails, a DJ and Elon. Oxnard won't be quite the scene but a celebration never the less. I'll bring the bubbly (Martinelli's apple cider). Cheers!

[I am quoted in this article so it is strange for me to posting it. If you wish to contact me about our Ventura County Tesla Owner's Club either PM me here, or email me at [email protected]]

Appeared today, Saturday 8-9-2014 in the print edition, Section 1, Page 1 of the Ventura County Star daily newspaper:

Oxnard will cure ‘range anxiety' for Tesla drivers

by Gretchen Wenner [email protected]

OXNARD, Calif. - Oxnard is getting wired up to become a destination stop for high-end Teslas.
A specialized charging station for the luxury electric cars is nearing completion at The Collection shopping center off Highway 101.
The facility, part of a growing constellation around the country, will fill in what's currently a gap for Tesla drivers between Buellton and Los Angeles.
The so-called Supercharger stations are unusual in the electric vehicle world on several fronts. They replenish only Teslas, do so extremely quickly, and are free.
"This is a game changer in EV implementation for the country, because you can drive long distances by charging up along the way," said James Reach, an Oxnard attorney who started a local Tesla club, of the expanding network.
His fully charged Model S can go more than 200 miles before plugging in. Teslas can be charged at stations used by other electric vehicles, but the time difference is dramatic.
An older-style charger could take 90 minutes for 22 miles of range, Reach said. For the same 90 minutes, the Supercharger gives him 220 miles.
Felix Wang, who owns the Best Western Plus Thousand Oaks Inn, often parks his year-old Model S near the hotel's stone-laden entry columns. He and his wife have been to Las Vegas three times in the Tesla, stopping to recharge in Barstow for 40 minutes. Next month, the couple plans to drive it to San Francisco. Such long-distance travel is possible with the high-powered stations.
"That's why those Superchargers are a big deal," Wang said.
Tesla currently has about 105 stations that allow some coast-to-coast travel. There are 14 in California, not counting the one being built in Oxnard.
The high-performance cars, which can boast price tags topping $100,000, get a half-charge in 20 minutes at Supercharger stations, which are "substantially more powerful than any charging technology to date," according to Tesla Motors Inc. spokeswoman Alexis Georgeson.
Georgeson expects the local facility to open "in a few weeks," but said issues with utilities and construction mean there is no exact date. The stations cost about $150,000, she said.
Doug Spondello, an associate planner for Oxnard, said the city was pleased to get a Tesla station.
"It's a notable brand and we're happy to have them attracted to our community here," Spondello said.
The project also requires four charging stations be installed at The Collection for non-Tesla cars. Volta Industries will put in two behind the Yard House and two on the south side of Whole Foods, Spondello said.
Oxnard's Supercharger will feature 10 bays on an edge of the parking lot that fronts the freeway. It will alleviate so-called "range anxiety" for Tesla owners traveling between Los Angeles and the Santa Barbara region as well as drivers coming into Ventura County on Highway 126, Reach said.
Supercharger visits can also be social events.
"It's interesting to talk to people while you're charging — where they're from, where they're going, what their experience of owning an electric vehicle is," Reach said.
About six local club members drove to Buellton earlier this summer to have lunch and charge up, he said, and two Santa Barbara Tesla owners met them there.
"We plan to go to San Juan Capistrano next," he said.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local-news/oxnard/oxnard-will-cure-range-anxiety-for-tesla-drivers_85172744

Last edited:
08/11/14

Oxnard 08/11/14 Notice that the trenching is now being done!

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 815
This will be great for trips from LA to Santa Barbara. Not that you need it to get to Santa Barbara, but at least you can get a quick fill up for the drive back.

Off-topic Alert: We had a nice surprise on our trip to Santa Barbara in June. We stayed at the Spanish Garden Inn, a really nice hotel, great service. Unbeknownst to us, they had a GE Watt station charger in their garage for free charging. Yay!! We charged up with a great charge for the trip back. So I recommend staying at the Spanish Garden Inn, it's a bit inland, but still close to great restaurants. Also, the botanical gardens in Santa Barbara also have a J1772 charger there (charge point I think).

Back on topic: The Oxnard station will help with the trips to north of LA, so this is great news. Can't wait to make another trip up from LA.

Thanks for the recommendation, the Spanish Garden Inn, I look to Steven next time I go to SB.

This will be great for trips from LA to Santa Barbara. Not that you need it to get to Santa Barbara, but at least you can get a quick fill up for the drive back.

Off-topic Alert: We had a nice surprise on our trip to Santa Barbara in June. We stayed at the Spanish Garden Inn, a really nice hotel, great service. Unbeknownst to us, they had a GE Watt station charger in their garage for free charging. Yay!! We charged up with a great charge for the trip back. So I recommend staying at the Spanish Garden Inn, it's a bit inland, but still close to great restaurants. Also, the botanical gardens in Santa Barbara also have a J1772 charger there (charge point I think).

Back on topic: The Oxnard station will help with the trips to north of LA, so this is great news. Can't wait to make another trip up from LA.

- - - Updated - - -

Stopped by this weekend and saw the progress.
IMG_6364.jpg
here's a large piece of concrete with a hole cut out that appear similar to other transformers on the property. Expect they're going to install one near to the superchargers. This is likely the delay the contractor spoke of earlier.
IMG_6366.jpg
IMG_6377.jpg
I also noted that the trench dug from the freeway side of the parking lot northward toward the 24 hour fitness stopped abruptly and may need to be extended further. I think it's unlikely it will be completed in the next two weeks :frown:.

TMC members live for fresh photos! Concentrate on the utility run from power to the utility transformer {or pad area} and on to the distribution cabinets. Fresh photos are always greatly appreciated and we have to rely on locals to get them and post the photos for us.... soooo thank you to whoever posts some new ones!!

Stuck in limbo

The build out by the contractor IS COMPLETE. The temporary fencing is coming down and the steel plates are being picked up. All of the asphalt is dry.
IMG_6433.jpg
IMG_6432.jpg

The supercharger cabinets are installed and ready for electrical hook up.
IMG_6430.jpg

The charger ports are installed and the signage is complete.
IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6429.JPG

So WHAT IS THE HOLD UP?
Southern California Edison (Utilities Information
) has still not approved the plans - though they've had them for months. SCE inspectors (who are cooperative and not the problem) have been to the site but the office will not give the final go ahead...something is blocking the progress. The next steps are:
1. Pull electrical wires from the subterranean junction at the proximal end of the extended conduit (left side of this photo:
IMG_6435.jpg

to the site of the Transformer SCE needs to install here:
photo.jpg

and attach the wiring for the superchargers.
When this is done (one day's work?) Tesla will "certify" the chargers then we're a go! and I can finally charge my car......
photo.jpg

How can Southern California Edison's office overseeing this project be encouraged to move the ball forward? Candy? Beer? Rides in a Tesla?