Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Parsippany, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to look at the site for the Parsippany Supercharger and found nothing there. Spoke to the employees and they said that they added diesel and that took the space a supercharger would have. Called town hall in Parsippany and they said no permit has been applied for by Tesla to build a supercharger in Parsippany.

Well an application could be withdrawn, so Wawa certainly could have decided to go diesel instead. But the town hall is confused considering this is public

http://www.parsippany.net/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_04042018-83
http://www.parsippany.net/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_04182018-87

It literally states this was resolved and the following

Application 18:05 Tesla, Inc., 350 New Road, Block: 767 Lot: 29.2 Zone: LIW-2
‘C’/‘D’/Preliminary and Final Major Site Plan to install an electric charging station located at the Wawa site.

A motion to Adopt was made by Mr. Berkowitz, Second by Mr. Reddy.
Approved by Berkowitz, Joskowitz, Persaud, Reddy, Shah, Willans.

Stopped by this location today and saw a bunch of construction. Spoke with the foreman and he said he was working on a gasoline project and not electric. See #1 in screenshot below.

View attachment 331997 View attachment 331998

I'd venture to guess that they'll be constructing the Supercharger in the "Employee Parking" section, which is currently paved with about 10+ parking spots:

View attachment 331999

It's not going into that section nor where the diesel construction is. The minutes also spell out where it's going.

The eight spaces will be located in eight existing spaces behind the fuel canopy parallel to Edwards Road. Two of the eight spaces will be dedicated to Tesla only with the other six shared with Wawa.

That means it's the spots right along Edwards road. The only other spots parallel to it and behind the fuel canopy would be at the Wawa it'sef; but there are only 7 spots there.

Last edited:
Answered my question - Supercharger - Rockaway NJ

rockaway01-jpeg.346594

And that is amazing! Love me some FiveGuys

So I heard a rumor that they started construction at the Wawa last week. Anyone around there can check it out soon? Heard the town did not want them to add the chargers and declined them at a zoning meeting due to extra traffic to the area. Then wawa or someone brought the town to court and won, and now installing the chargers.

I’ll be driving past on Tuesday on the way to work, but might be able to swing by tomorrow to check it out earlier.

It’s funny to hear that they were blocking it, there was a huge press release to all the local newspapers when they applied for the permit, with the town lauding them and basically patting themselves on the back for being so progressive for having been so lucky to be selected for a supercharger. They said they needed to reapply for a “lighting permit” or something, for changing use of the parking lot from employee parking to supercharging slots. Seemed extraneous to me, but I’m not a civil engineer or on a town council.

So I heard a rumor that they started construction at the Wawa last week. Anyone around there can check it out soon? Heard the town did not want them to add the chargers and declined them at a zoning meeting due to extra traffic to the area. Then wawa or someone brought the town to court and won, and now installing the chargers.

No, they needed a couple of zoning variances because the existing zoning rules wouldn't otherwise allow them to build the site as they had planned. And therefore as part of the normal planning/permitting process their site plan review was rejected. So it, like all other construction plans which need a zoning variance, went to the local zoning board (in Parsippany called the Zoning Board of Adjustment) for a hearing on if changes to the plans could be made so that they would be within the rules, why they need the variances, whether the variances would serve the public good, and to make a decision on whether to grant them. That board held a single hearing in April and unanimously approved granting them with the conditions that they adhere to the plans submitted and that they additionally submit an approved lighting plan (which hadn't been included previously). You can read all about it by going to the links in Post #41. The main issue of discussion, as it almost always is with the EV charging stations, was over the number of parking slots taken up. Not really traffic but sort of related. The hearing did have testimony from traffic experts on how many parking spots Wawa really required. But no law suits were required or involved. The city wasn't unduly trying to block the superchargers.

Zoning variances needed for site plan approval, zoning board holds hearing to decide on granting the variances, zoning board grants variances once they hear the facts and have all their questions/concerns addressed. System worked exactly like it's supposed to. Also, Water Is Wet, Dog Has Fleas, Old Man Grumbles About Irreverent Youth Culture Of Today...News at 7. Move along, move along.

Last edited:
I just drove around the Wawa parking lot (including the back lot separated from the main lot by shrubs), and I can sadly say there is no sort of construction going on at all, not even preparation for construction of any sort. Tesla says it's "Coming in 2019", which is technically only about 7 weeks away though, so even if it does start next week, it still likely wouldn't be open until 2019.

I just drove around the Wawa parking lot (including the back lot separated from the main lot by shrubs), and I can sadly say there is no sort of construction going on at all, not even preparation for construction of any sort. Tesla says it's "Coming in 2019", which is technically only about 7 weeks away though, so even if it does start next week, it still likely wouldn't be open until 2019.

That's being highly optimistic. Being that there are a lot of "Target Opening in 2018" that haven't opened yet, you're probably looking at 59 weeks away..assuming it doesn't get retargetted.

Ahh, well then back to drawing board on the West Orange one. I was thinking the Whole Foods lot, or Essex green, but that's only 7 miles away. And unlike Edison/ Woodbridge there really isn't much traffic between the sites.

Not sure where else in West Orange would be convenient to put one. Train station lot? but that would be more of a destination charger I would think.

Anyone have any updates on the West Orange supercharger? Tesla web site still says coming in 2018... I would agree that the Whole Foods shopping center is the most logical spot. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Looks like construction started! Excuse the zoomed-in photos, I snapped them while waiting at a light, but the yellow arrow points to some white-tarped equipment that looks transformer-sized, and the green arrow points to some underground conduit that looks to have been recently placed. There was some other boxes there that said not to stack anything on top of them, but nothing had a Tesla logo on it.

Attachments

• 1E35FDCE-35F2-4BFB-B53F-6F36DDBC909A.jpeg
    1E35FDCE-35F2-4BFB-B53F-6F36DDBC909A.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 13F790E4-4234-4018-AE00-67EF0F89634A.jpeg
    13F790E4-4234-4018-AE00-67EF0F89634A.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 80