Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20190924_070625_zpsgurmbvv3.jpg

Manufacturing date of this cabinet 12/2017?

I believe they can be on the lower levels but I’m not sure.

FE0648CB-6632-4844-9914-7D06DB21165F.jpeg
5A63ED0B-DB7E-485B-89DB-53CF3DE2ABC3.jpeg
Ha, stopped by and basically took all the same shots that RT did. The photos I’m adding are of the trench progress along the South side of the garage and the holes that have been cored through the roof for the conduits.

Regarding cabinet placement, I’m pretty sure their current location on the lower level is simply for staging. The original plan was to install them on the roof in one of the neighboring parking spots.

Some interesting developments on the outside garage wall. Looks like the Tesla feeds will be going up next to one of the columns, while the City feeds going all the way to the roof will be going up on the neighboring column. I have to apologize for the last Daliesque (don't see that term bandied about much here on TMC!) picture. 4 guys milling about the 8 holes planning what comes next. Maybe the 12 cabinets seen on the first level will end up sitting on top of the squarish (somewhat blurry) stands these guys are checking out? Have to see pics of another 72Kw site to get a better idea...

May just have to wait until the afternoon photo update by @Cameron A :D

IMG_20190925_070418_zps5adrnyco.jpg

IMG_20190925_070352_zpspz1jdom0.jpg

IMG_20190925_070136_zpskpvs6f0s.jpg

I am in awe of your dedication to monitoring this construction... :)

And here I was worrying about getting banned from TMC for becoming a nuisance posting so many pictures. I'll sleep better at night now :D

RT

P.S. It just seems like my civic duty to TMC with my being so close and all. And the authorities suggested that I find something else to focus on besides Paris Hilton...

And here I was worrying about getting banned from TMC for becoming a nuisance posting so many pictures. I'll sleep better at night now :D

RT

P.S. It just seems like my civic duty to TMC with my being so close and all. And the authorities suggested that I find something else to focus on besides Paris Hilton...
I work just up the street and periodically swing by to check it out. Before I do I check TMC and your posts to see if it's worth walking over! Keep on posting good sir!

Who know, maybe one day I'll even run into you!

Reactions: RabidYak
Finally have a legitimate hole dug. The metal conduit growing up the side of the garage is partly connected to the Tesla feeds under the garage roof. And you can see the City's DCFC conduit going up now too. Some aspiring artists from the Max-Gen company (Costa Mesa) are deployed on the roof practicing their chalk art skills in the area where the City's DCFC will be going.

No pictures (yet), but the markings they were putting down were squares about 4' per side, on every other parking space along that wall. I was imagining that the DCFC's would be along the actual wall where one would still be able to utilize all the parking spaces, kind of like the Tesla 72kW units. But it looks more like they need a very large footprint for the individual units that will chew up half the spaces. Having seen pictures of other companies DCFCs in the wild, this isn't surprising.

This site is going to end up being a showcase of how much better/faster/efficient the entire Tesla infrastructure is versus anything that someone else is going to throw up there. Anyone sitting on their phone for 20 minutes calling the 1-800 number to figure out why their I-Pace can't get any juice will be entertained by the sight of 24 Teslas effortlessly charging, with no instruction screen or credit card reader to be found anywhere! Its nothing short of a miracle ;)

This crew was at work before 7am. I love a motivated crew...

IMG_20191001_064619_zpswmu0xlni.jpg

IMG_20191001_065141_zpsdqyujbwr.jpg

IMG_20191001_064935_zpsm8wmbuv5.jpg

The City DCFC area on the roof has now been completely fenced in. I was fortunate enough to be there this morning when a truck dropped off some hardware. The floor under the roof was also cordoned off, because the City spaces on the roof are having quite a few holes drilled through. The 8 metal conduits feeding the Tesla chargers are now in place from the ground floor outside the garage to the middle of the floor under the roof. Still need about 20' to reach the large holes drilled where the electrical cabinets will go.

IMG_20191002_064226_zpslbkedbvt.jpg

IMG_20191002_063802_zpsj3k3ryp2.jpg

IMG_20191002_063650_zpsmmurn8ec.jpg

IMG_20191002_063635_zpsdowwzmtw.jpg

The metal conduit has now reached a newly installed electrical box right below where it will punch through the holes into the roof. The crew today is looking to lay the plastic conduit next to the garage to get closer to the transformer on the corner. No visible work in the big hole. The crew up top has the newly delivered metal pedestals for the City DCFCs I posted a picture of yesterday, and continue to drill holes through the roof deck. No visible work in the Tesla area on the roof.

IMG_20191003_065357_zpszywqfnfw.jpg

IMG_20191003_065252_zpspezjwtu4.jpg

IMG_20191003_065522_zpsknljwqg2.jpg

The metal conduit has now reached a newly installed electrical box right below where it will punch through the holes into the roof. The crew today is looking to lay the plastic conduit next to the garage to get closer to the transformer on the corner. No visible work in the big hole. The crew up top has the newly delivered metal pedestals for the City DCFCs I posted a picture of yesterday, and continue to drill holes through the roof deck. No visible work in the Tesla area on the roof.

I bet you're on a first-name basis with the crew by now! :)

Bruce.

The underground conduit next to the garage is mostly in place, could see a concrete pour soon. The electrical box for Tesla under the roof now has all the conduit connected and holes punched to feed the roof equipment. The metal posts for the City parking spaces are being installed.

One of the guys on the crew (sorry @bmah , I didn't get his name :D) stated that the DCFCs will be behind the posts and up against the garage wall. The spaces have a lot of room behind them, where the Tesla Superchargers will be going. Fortunate that the original design left so much room in the aisle. The MaxGen guy said that they should be done with their part of the work in about 3 weeks. The City has a different contractor for the transformer and he had no insight into that schedule. Also, Tesla has a different contractor for their work and all the feeds from the transformer to the DCFCs. Not sure exactly where the Tesla work ends and the Maxgen work begins for the City DCFCs.

So a November 15 opening seems possible. Not sure how fast the City can get that transformer in place, and that seems to have stopped a lot of other Supercharger openings. I have worked with the City on electrical infrastructure, so this is not baseless speculation on my part...

IMG_20191004_070528_zpstwsfffyg.jpg

IMG_20191004_070430_zps5zyosfat.jpg

IMG_20191004_070330_zpsx56hnelb.jpg

As a Caltech employee who learned about this supercharger back when it was first proposed, and then forgot about it until yesterday, I greatly appreciate the detailed reporting, RubberToe! Looking forward to the site becoming operational next month (hopefully).