Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Prawda, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Creds to @MD-2000 for discovering a new Supercharger in Prawda Manitoba! Post on Mid-Canada Superchargers
Prawda, Manitoba - halfway between Winnipeg and Kenora on the Trans-Canada - Supercharger construction. Someone posted this in the last 24 hours - looks like the same crew from Portage la Prairie. [Image in full screen below]
View attachment 435320

So the Prawda Supercharger is now under construction, making it the 3rd (4th if you count Winnipeg) in Manitoba. Supercharge Info has been updated to show this location as under construction.

3BB2834B-9048-4CC3-B919-551C283406DC.jpeg

Prawda, MB

Along National Highways: TCH/MB-1

TCH:
To: Ignace, ON (Permit) - 350.4 km
Diversion: 0.5 km
To: Nipigon, ON (Permit) - 688.1 km

To: Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Construction) - 1274 km
To: Sudbury, ON - 1578.3 km

Prawda, MB

Along National Highways: TCH/MB-1

TCH:
To: Ignace, ON (Permit) - 350.4 km
Diversion: 0.5 km
To: Nipigon, ON (Permit) - 688.1 km

To: Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Construction) - 1274 km
To: Sudbury, ON - 1578.3 km

Well, If they had waited too much longer they would be running into Winter Ground freezing issues. Those areas start seeing Frost Conditions in Mid-September. At Least the Dirt and concrete work should be done in the next couple months.

Reactions: SammichLover
Wondering if there is a transformer in place there.
Possibly they went back to Winnipeg to do it, but if not, it might be several weeks of heading east to do the construction before they get back to Winnipeg, on their way home. Guess it depends on whether they are doing all of the sites east to the "Soo" or further, or just to the Manitoba Ontario border and west. I think it takes them about ~10 days at each site.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I wonder where these guys went next? (East or west?) They recently did Brandon and Portage, and someone's done Whitewood recently. What's next? Kenora? Dryden? Ignace?
Dryden is only about 250km away. From Prawda SC to downtown Kenora is only about 100km, which seems overly close at this point for spacing, and the East side of Kenora at the end of the bypass might as well be a random highway junction out in the woods somewhere.

Who knows, maybe they throw a curveball and put one in Vermillion Bay instead of either of those? :)

Dryden is only about 250km away. From Prawda SC to downtown Kenora is only about 100km, which seems overly close at this point for spacing, and the East side of Kenora at the end of the bypass might as well be a random highway junction out in the woods somewhere.

Who knows, maybe they throw a curveball and put one in Vermillion Bay instead of either of those? :)
The fact is, it IS a random highway junction out in the woods somewhere. There is nothing there but the highway intersection, rock, water and trees.

There is a reasonable purpose to put a charger in that area, since it would cover traffic going east/west on Hwy 17 as well as South on Hwy 71... but there are no businesses nearby for a bathroom break or meal.

Realistically, Kenora is a good place for a Supercharger. It is a small town, but it is the hub of cottage country, with traffic coming from North (locally), South, East and West. Many people from Winnipeg are property owners there and spend a lot of time in the area. Some live off the grid. A charge once a week is a necessity for some.

I don't see them skipping Kenora.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Between Kenora and Thunder Bay there are not a lot of choices for a location to place a supercharger. It's pure bush except for a few specific stops. So even if it messes up their spacing, that's likely where they go.

Fun fact - many many many years ago, on my first trip way out west, I thought I'd do a rest stop in English River. It showed on the map as a name, so I figured "this is the middle of nowhere, it's probably a really small town with only a few hundred people". It was a gas station and a motel, and the only thing for dozens of miles either way.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Between Kenora and Thunder Bay there are not a lot of choices for a location to place a supercharger. It's pure bush except for a few specific stops. So even if it messes up their spacing, that's likely where they go.

Fun fact - many many many years ago, on my first trip way out west, I thought I'd do a rest stop in English River. It showed on the map as a name, so I figured "this is the middle of nowhere, it's probably a really small town with only a few hundred people". It was a gas station and a motel, and the only thing for dozens of miles either way.
... and my guess is that it will have a Supercharger in a few months.

The fact is, it IS a random highway junction out in the woods somewhere. There is nothing there but the highway intersection, rock, water and trees.

There is a reasonable purpose to put a charger in that area, since it would cover traffic going east/west on Hwy 17 as well as South on Hwy 71... but there are no businesses nearby for a bathroom break or meal.

Realistically, Kenora is a good place for a Supercharger. It is a small town, but it is the hub of cottage country, with traffic coming from North (locally), South, East and West. Many people from Winnipeg are property owners there and spend a lot of time in the area. Some live off the grid. A charge once a week is a necessity for some.

I don't see them skipping Kenora.
First pass at this they aren’t likely to care about covering 71 going South.

Fortunately there is an alternative option in Fort Francis (and now multiple in Kenora) if they don’t. Plus reaching from Kenora to the first current SC in the US headed that way is a stretch in summer. A Model 3 LR can from Long Bow in favourable conditions but only just. Also Vermillion has a highway headed North from it, too.

We’ll soon see, I guess.

First pass at this they aren’t likely to care about covering 71 going South.

Fortunately there is an alternative option in Fort Francis (and now multiple in Kenora) if they don’t. Plus reaching from Kenora to the first current SC in the US headed that way is a stretch in summer. A Model 3 LR can from Long Bow in favourable conditions but only just. Also Vermillion has a highway headed North from it, too.

We’ll soon see, I guess.
If Tesla is as disinterested in North Dakota as they seem to be, my next trip to Winnipeg will be via Duluth, International Falls, Fort Frances, Kenora via Hwy 71. I think Hwy 71 is an important route, and easier to support than Hwy 17 (and less remote).

[Edit] We shouldn't be discussing this in the Prawda thread. Apologies.

Reactions: SammichLover
If Tesla is as disinterested in North Dakota as they seem to be, my next trip to Winnipeg will be via Duluth, International Falls, Fort Frances, Kenora via Hwy 71. I think Hwy 71 is an important route, and easier to support than Hwy 17 (and less remote).

[Edit] We shouldn't be discussing this in the Prawda thread. Apologies.
It is Prawda related. ;)

Duluth to Fort Frances, bump at the Sun Highway at La Place Rendezvous to get to Kenora is 100% legit in all but the worst weather. Bump another 60 miles at Clarion Inn Lakeside Sun Highway to get to Prawda SC, and you're to Winnipeg. If you happen to be carrying a Chademo adaptor Fort Frances and Kenora have those, too.

I can't believe that's Tesla's intention though. Supercharger - Grand Forks ND

What is hanging up all that ND work is a real mystery.