Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only speak to the South Carolina pricing. Typical SCE&G pricing is 15 cents per kWh. Tesla is charging 20 cents which represents a 33% profit. Things will only get worse as the price of electricity continues to climb. Already it's getting close to the cost of gasoline. With 50 solar panels on our roof, I'm not that concerned.
You can’t call the markup a profit with out factoring in the massive cost to build these stations. My thoughts are that Tesla sees an opportunity to make the supercharger program pay for itself and has raised prices accordingly.

Another point: Superchargers are not gas stations they are for long range travel, your EV equivalent is the charger at your house, ideally setup for EV off peak rate plan.

Before hike, 10 other states were at or higher than California's rate.... Now only 5 are. Interesting since more Tesla's are in California than any other state.

My use case for SC use is only long drives. I have solar and will always choose home over SC. Nonetheless I am irritated by the hike and it's very rare affect on me. Even if it is the cost of doing business and not a profit center, it is just as irksome to receive the price hike story from Tesla as it is from the power company, cable company, or insurance agent!

How is it that everybody always raises their rates at a clip that somehow always outstrips inflation and my raises?

Given what we know about Tesla, it's likely that they were overly optimistic about the rates to begin with and this is a big correction. I am in Washington and not super excited about the giant hike, but I won't be using them unless on a road trip anyway so it still won't impact me that much.

If this means more charging stations and upgrades to old ones, I am actually somewhat supportive. Tesla can't take losses forever.

Given what we know about Tesla, it's likely that they were overly optimistic about the rates to begin with and this is a big correction. I am in Washington and not super excited about the giant hike, but I won't be using them unless on a road trip anyway so it still won't impact me that much.

If this means more charging stations and upgrades to old ones, I am actually somewhat supportive. Tesla can't take losses forever.
This. When used as intended (occasional recharging when away from home), the price hike won't hit hard at all.

FUnny thing is, with whatever sketchy non-gaap accounting method they are using, the results on the financial statements will somehow be the opposite of what you assume :p

Reactions: u00mem9
They need to factor in cost of electricity for the Model S and X. Currently they are free to use Superchargers. They have to start making this up. My Model 3 will likely never go on a road trip. My Model X will for sure.
I expect that the S and X fleet will become an increasingly small portion of the total as 3 and, eventually, Y sales increase. However, I do wonder if free Supercharging will continue for future S and X sales.

Many prospective Model 3 buyers in this forum have said that they don't plan to use the car much on road trips, so for those folks this price increase will have little impact, save for those without home or workplace charging who were planning to use Superchargers as the primary means of charging.

Confused.... California now costs $0.26 per kWh....except at the MegaCharger for the semi, then it's $0.07/kWh. Oh, and the $0.07 is guaranteed.

If you buy a semi at $180K (not a huge premium over a loaded P100D), you get what is estimated to have around 900kWh. If you assume the truck (non-battery) portion of the cost is at least $30K (make your own assumptions here), then that leaves $150K for the batteries. That's $167/kWh ($150K/900kWh) which is way less than the current cars. Big time. So explain how the semi with it's super cheap (subsidized?) batteries and guaranteed super cheap electricity MegaChargers (which must cost a sh!t-ton to build out) make sense in this Tesla eco-system? How can it make sense for Tesla to promise $0.07/kWh for the semis when they just had to hike the SC in California from $0.20/kWh to $0.26/kWh? Is the plan for the M3's and Y's use of the superchargers now subsidizing the semis as well as the S/X? Doesn't sit well with me.

I can only speak to the South Carolina pricing. Typical SCE&G pricing is 15 cents per kWh. Tesla is charging 20 cents which represents a 33% profit. Things will only get worse as the price of electricity continues to climb. Already it's getting close to the cost of gasoline. With 50 solar panels on our roof, I'm not that concerned.

Easy fix, just add solar and batteries. Wonder where Tesla could get that from? Anyone wanna guess what the extra money will be used for... More superchargers and solar+batteries maybe?

Confused.... California now costs $0.26 per kWh....except at the MegaCharger for the semi, then it's $0.07/kWh. Oh, and the $0.07 is guaranteed.

If you buy a semi at $180K (not a huge premium over a loaded P100D), you get what is estimated to have around 900kWh. If you assume the truck (non-battery) portion of the cost is at least $30K (make your own assumptions here), then that leaves $150K for the batteries. That's $167/kWh ($150K/900kWh) which is way less than the current cars. Big time. So explain how the semi with it's super cheap (subsidized?) batteries and guaranteed super cheap electricity MegaChargers (which must cost a sh!t-ton to build out) make sense in this Tesla eco-system? How can it make sense for Tesla to promise $0.07/kWh for the semis when they just had to hike the SC in California from $0.20/kWh to $0.26/kWh? Is the plan for the M3's and Y's use of the superchargers now subsidizing the semis as well as the S/X? Doesn't sit well with me.
and the Mod S/X folks that don't get free supercharging....someone has to pay and help the Tesla cash burn. Even with the Supercharger price increase...its still cheaper than the CSS/CHAdeMO chargers.

Reactions: GRfire and KJD
While I'm disappointed at the cost it's still usually better than gas and most people won't depend on it except for roadtripping.

Still, the "it will never be a profit center" thing isn't that reassuring. The Supercharger network was/is a major play. I doubt even at the new rates that they are likely to recover their capital investment any time soon. It's very possible that they are still heavily subsidizing and that the breakeven cost would be prohibitively expensive.

Tesla is charging 20 cents which represents a 33% profit.

$8,000 cash burn / minute
Q4-2017 EPS - $-4.01

Can we please forever and until the end of time STFU about Tesla being greedy, gouging, lying about "profit centers", etc.

@NerdUno - not calling you out specifically but would be nice all the complainers memorize those numbers before posting.